Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MIcrotracker: Random White Noise Problem  (Read 8258 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re: MIcrotracker: Random White Noise Problem
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2005, 06:29:16 PM »
I'm still guessing it's the card.  I have had zero problems with my Sandisk Ultra II 4 gig card, which is rated at 60X.  all of my recordings have been via S/PDIF from the V3, and the last couple at 24/48.  In fact, tonight, I'm taking it out without my D8. (but, Scott and I are running a comparison of the V3 A/D at 24 bit and the ad2k+ at 24 bit, so in the event that my recording messes up, we'll still have his V3 > ad2k > laptop recording.)  Anyway, I would suggest buying a faster card.

the lack of any problems on my end lead me to this conclusion.  that's the only thing different from our setups, right?  at least, that's the only thing I can think of.

sounds like a good idea, 60x is a big jump up from what I am using. Any good links for where to score one of these?
Thanks for the input, +t!
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2005, 06:30:22 PM »

I am not sure of the exact speed, but it supports up to 9.4MB/sec. I was recording at 16/48 for both acts.

analog in from the Sax?

Nope. Nagra V > Analog out > DA-P1 > Coax > MT
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2005, 06:53:40 PM »
I'm still guessing it's the card.  I have had zero problems with my Sandisk Ultra II 4 gig card, which is rated at 60X.  all of my recordings have been via S/PDIF from the V3, and the last couple at 24/48.  In fact, tonight, I'm taking it out without my D8. (but, Scott and I are running a comparison of the V3 A/D at 24 bit and the ad2k+ at 24 bit, so in the event that my recording messes up, we'll still have his V3 > ad2k > laptop recording.)  Anyway, I would suggest buying a faster card.

the lack of any problems on my end lead me to this conclusion.  that's the only thing different from our setups, right?  at least, that's the only thing I can think of.

sounds like a good idea, 60x is a big jump up from what I am using. Any good links for where to score one of these?
Thanks for the input, +t!

I bought mine from Newegg.com.   right now, the 4gig Sandisk Ultra II cards are $327.  you might be able to find a better deal if you look around the web.  but Sandisk, Lexar, etc..  are always more pricy than other cards.

I am not sure of the exact speed, but it supports up to 9.4MB/sec. I was recording at 16/48 for both acts.

even though its rated at 9.4MB/sec (which should be WAY overboard, as stereo 24/96 is only about 0.5MB/sec), I'm guessing it's still the card.  it seems to me like the microdrives have a harder time sustaining the data rate, compared to CF cards.

the fact of the matter is, NO cf card or microdrive is really designed for continuous writing.  because the VAST majority of users are using them for photos, which is only a few MB of data at any given time.  when we're trying to use the cards for sustained writing for hours on end, I don't think we can really trust the rated speeds of the cards.  better to go overboard with media speed and hope to avoid the issue altogether, IMO.  (of course, as I'm writing this now, I hope I'm not jinxing myself for tonights show :)  of course, I'll post if anything bad happens.)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2005, 10:40:13 AM »
just wanted to post that I've doen two more shows now, both at 24/48, both via the S/PDIF input from the V3, and both without any issue with white noise or the like,  in my mind, this is just further evidence that the cf card in use can either make/break the recording.

can't wait for the 12 gig or 16 gig CF cards to come out, so the prices on the 8gig cards plummet :)

Offline showtaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2005, 01:52:36 PM »
  open up the codetalkers when i get back to camp, and i can see the music, and two HUGE blocks of solid noise on both channels at two different places in the recording.(unit was not jostled during recording)

Crossposted from the "real-life experiences" thread, but that and the bug report thread are so long I didn't want this to get buried.

I got a 3 sec block of Full-scale noise in my recording last weekend, taking SPDIF from a V3 at 24/44.1. Dane-elec CF card, new firmware.

1st set, noise, 2nd set no problems. Each set ~45 min or so. Noise occurred about 30 min into set 1.

Scared the crap out of me when I was listening to it!!   :crazy:

Anyone having this problem from the mic or line inputs????  I believe this is a known SPDIF problem....

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2005, 04:47:19 PM »
just wanted to post that I've doen two more shows now, both at 24/48, both via the S/PDIF input from the V3, and both without any issue with white noise or the like,  in my mind, this is just further evidence that the cf card in use can either make/break the recording.

can't wait for the 12 gig or 16 gig CF cards to come out, so the prices on the 8gig cards plummet :)

well, good to know it is a media issue. Damn that is some expensive CF!! Hoping the prices drop and speeds go up.  :)  Thanks for your input on this problem!
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 10:31:56 PM »
ok, i just went through all my files from magfest, and the white noise happened at 17 minute intervals in each file, and lasted for 15 minutes.  wierd
we all live downstream.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 10:33:00 AM »
ok, i just went through all my files from magfest, and the white noise happened at 17 minute intervals in each file, and lasted for 15 minutes.  wierd

Create an mp3 to send in to m-audio. I did the same. You might also let them know that you noticed it was occuring in 17minute intervals. That is strange for sure.

Sucks it happened to you too. :-\
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com