Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need new headphones...  (Read 10318 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Need new headphones...
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2006, 08:24:04 PM »

My vote for Senns.
I've been using them since I was 14 when my brother gave me a pair of HD-414s for my birthday.   (+T bro !)
They've been upgraded since, but always to Senns.

Thats great. But can anyone give me some advice on a headphone amp for Senns?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 08:44:09 PM »
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2006, 09:30:32 PM »

My vote for Senns.
I've been using them since I was 14 when my brother gave me a pair of HD-414s for my birthday.   (+T bro !)

What is your budget?  The Gilmore Lite is highly regarded with the Sennheisers.  If you're considering a tube amp the Mobile Fidelity X-Can and Woo Audio 3 might also be good options.

Offline pjdavep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2006, 10:20:42 PM »
I think I'm going with the Senn's. What about the HD595's? Also, whats a good amp for them, thats not too expensive. Say around 200-300. That Blueberry emotion wooden box looks pretty good <300. Thanks.

I think the 590s (and maybe 595s??) are more geared towards classical type music.  I think you'd be fairly happy with the 580s and a dedicated headphone amp.  Are you going to be listening in a quiet enviroment?  If not, the 580s (and 595s, 600s, 650s) are open and let in quite a bit of noise.  I replaced the fans in my office computers because I could always hear them over quiet parts of the music :)

As far as amp, if you wanted to get something less expensive, I was happy with my airhead portable - for some reason I got ALL my money back from it when I sold it on eBay a year later.  I never used it portably, just in my office.  Then take the money you saved and stick it in a fund to eventuall get a used Grace headphone amp  ;D
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-mobile-line/

I was browsing Audiogon to see if I could find any deals to point you to and damn...this was a great deal -
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1140444078
..I don't really see much else at the time, but can echo Nick's suggestions as good ones :)

Later,
  pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 12:46:38 AM »

My vote for Senns.

Grace m902 or
Benchmark DAC-1  or if you have a means to run it solo, the Benchmark HPA-2 (which is in the DAC-1)

It needs a case, a power supply, and some wiring to work stand-alone.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 12:50:00 AM by _Bob_ »

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2006, 09:34:53 AM »
I think I'm going with the Senn's. What about the HD595's? Also, whats a good amp for them, thats not too expensive. Say around 200-300. That Blueberry emotion wooden box looks pretty good <300. Thanks.

I think the 590s (and maybe 595s??) are more geared towards classical type music.  I think you'd be fairly happy with the 580s and a dedicated headphone amp.  Are you going to be listening in a quiet enviroment?  If not, the 580s (and 595s, 600s, 650s) are open and let in quite a bit of noise.  I replaced the fans in my office computers because I could always hear them over quiet parts of the music :)

As far as amp, if you wanted to get something less expensive, I was happy with my airhead portable - for some reason I got ALL my money back from it when I sold it on eBay a year later.  I never used it portably, just in my office.  Then take the money you saved and stick it in a fund to eventuall get a used Grace headphone amp  ;D
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphone-amps/the-mobile-line/

I was browsing Audiogon to see if I could find any deals to point you to and damn...this was a great deal -
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1140444078
..I don't really see much else at the time, but can echo Nick's suggestions as good ones :)

Later,
  pjdavep

Thanks. I went with a Creek and the 595's to start. We'll see how this setup works. Thanks for all the advice. :)

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2006, 01:46:45 PM »
Thanks. I went with a Creek and the 595's to start. We'll see how this setup works. Thanks for all the advice. :)

How are you liking the 595's? 

Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com