Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack and S/PDIF... control levels where?  (Read 4930 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
Microtrack and S/PDIF... control levels where?
« on: February 26, 2006, 04:40:00 AM »
When I'm recording using the S/PDIF input on my MT from the UA-5's coax out, can the MT manipulate the signal at all? Do the level controls on the MT do anything if you use the digital input?  The reason I ask is because when I record, I futz with the level controls on both units but I'm not sure if it has any effect if I do anything with the MT's levels.

Just trying to keep all of my wits during a recording session and not mess with things that don't matter... know what I mean?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
Re: Microtrack and S/PDIF... control levels where?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 05:55:05 AM »
You manipulatie SPDIF levels at the source.
I.e.: at your ADC.
Once the audio data enters the digital domain you don't do level changes, etc, until you reach postproduction (where you can do such things under better circumstances).

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 06:06:55 AM »
Once the audio data enters the digital domain you don't do level changes, etc, until you reach postproduction (where you can do such things under better circumstances).

Ok just making sure.  So if I mess with the level controls on the MT (whether it's the actual level meters or the L/M/H switch) it will have no effect on the audio level.

This just makes me feel like I need an SVU-1 more and more.  Sigh.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 07:21:19 AM »
Ok just making sure.  So if I mess with the level controls on the MT (whether it's the actual level meters or the L/M/H switch) it will have no effect on the audio level.

exaclty.  if you run digital into the MicroTrack, the level switches and the L/M/H switch has no effect.

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 12:13:07 PM »

get one, you won't regret it. Great combo with the UA-5.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 01:07:26 PM »

What is stopping you from using the MT's meters ? They are pretty good now. No need for a SVU imo ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 01:15:23 PM »

What is stopping you from using the MT's meters ? They are pretty good now. No need for a SVU imo ...

The biggest thing is that I have to actually go over to the MT and activate the backlight to look at the LCD.  With an SVU-1, I could just peer down at the bag and see.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 01:32:17 PM »
Yep... Nice thing about the SVUx is that you can just poke the display out of your bag and see the levels from just about anyplace.  When I went from my old DMIC to the UA-5 I really noticed how much I missed visible meters.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 01:36:29 PM »

ditto. i have learned the microtrack levels and they arent that bad. there is a small learning cureve, like any new piece of gear. i have been comfortable using the mt levels in the nbox>mt2448 combo and the nbox doesnt add gain so you have to use the mt 2448 levels.

The biggest thing is that I have to actually go over to the MT and activate the backlight to look at the LCD.  With an SVU-1, I could just peer down at the bag and see.

wwhhhaaaaahhhh, i gotta bend over.   :P

sometimes you dont want the meters to be visable   8)
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 02:01:34 PM »
wwhhhaaaaahhhh, i gotta bend over.   :P

Yeah seems like a weak concern but damn did my knees hurt after the last show. space was tight and i simply didn't have everything in the ideal layout for glancing down @ the minime's levels.

Maybe I just need to hit the gym more often.  :-[
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 02:03:21 PM by rowjimmy »
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 02:19:31 PM »
Just get a tiny maglite?
And get to know your gear. You should be able to set levels nicely after a while when you know the venue and the band. If hou have to adjust during a show you're too late anyway?

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 05:02:42 PM »
I usually adjust my gain on  the v3 after a song or two, if there is no soundcheck.
 :P
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 05:38:50 PM »
well I was using borrowed gear on a band i'd never seen @ the aforementioned show. So arranging everything exactly perfect and setting the levels straight away was tricky. Especially as the headliner was notably louder than the opener. But you're right, knowing your gear always helps. and a flashlight (which I do have) will help with the no-backlight issue.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 08:32:57 PM »
Another bonus of the SVU is that you dont always be right next to your gear to check your levels at a glance.  Quite often at the shows I tape we have several tapers there that know and trust each other to keep an eye on each others gear to make sure it does not get up and walk away.  Often I'll move a bit away from the gear for dancing room, to talk with friends, etc.  The SVUx makes it very easy to watch your levels from a distance.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline ghibliss

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 11:59:16 AM »
Are the "Line Outs" active while recording uisng the spdif input?  I use a Coaxial spdif input from an external a/d converter and was wondering if the SVU-1 would work if plugged into the Line Out jacks of the Microtrack.  I currently use the CoreSound Mic 2496 a/d converter with excellent results simply monitoring the -12.5 db signal lights and the -1 db "clipping indicator".  These are very accurate and have always provided excellent results. 

DPA 4061
CoreSound Mic 2496
Coaxial spdif
MT 2496
Kingston CF 4 GB Card

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com