Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording to my iPod - great little digi recorder  (Read 10169 times)

Offline jstern36

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Recording to my iPod - great little digi recorder
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2006, 10:36:03 AM »
I recently Bought an I-Audio M3, And have come up with similiar great results. The Cowan actually records in FLAC format and has an unbelievable battery. I too went with the stealthy approach and bought sound pro mics and pre amp. All together I spent around 350.00 and have producing great recordings since. 

Offline gravity

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2006, 12:17:44 PM »
Heres a pic of the cable I put together using a male dock connector and a 3/8" stereo patch cord.

Offline rdflash

• Needs to get out more...
  • I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2006, 01:55:28 AM »
i was intent on getting an ipod and doing this...then realized I would prolly mess it up and wasnt gonna get one cheap on ebay (after looking for 2 weeks)

so, just bought Iriver 120 to double as recorder/mp3 player. lol

much easier in my book.
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline adzy31

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2006, 09:25:01 PM »
I bought an iRiver H340 a while ago and have been running Rockbox on it ever since I got it - completely fantastic piece of software, I couldn't live without it on there. It adds so many useful features and most importantly the recording feature. Straight to WAV and not too bad battery life whilst recording, with the stock battery - about 4-5 hours maybe. Gives you level meters, you can configure the remote to flash if your input clips, it has AGC if you want it, etc.

The reason I say this is that you could get WAV recording on that 120 :) and if I'm not mistaken, Rockbox works on video iPod and iPod nano. Not sure whether recording works, but you could try it out! http://www.rockbox.org/daily.shtml

another thing I thought was worth mentioning [don't worry I don't work for either Rockbox or this eBay guy, hehe] was, I was thinking of reluctantly ordering some crazily expensive mics from America, but had about a week before my gig and wasn't sure if they'd arrive in time so just ordered some cheap £25 "Stealth Hawk Diablo" mics and preamp from eBay UK to use with my Rockboxed iRiver. Got the recording home and was quite impressed with the quality. If you don't want to spend stupid money yet on some mics but still want a decent non-distorted clear recording of gigs, seriously, try them out... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stealth-Hawk-Diablo-Stereo-Phantom-Supply-Microphone_W0QQitemZ7405444949QQcategoryZ15198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline gravity

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2006, 01:48:31 PM »
I am waiting for the version of Rockbox for the 3G ipod models. I understand it is in the works right now and should be available soon.
iPod linux recording feature isn't bad, but I have no on-screen levels so I really need to know where to set my preamp so I don't get any clipping. But otherwise have been really happy with the quality of recording I get from the iPod, especially considering I have less that $300 in my entire rig.

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2006, 05:26:23 AM »
Anyone tried this? -> http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/BEL-TUNETALK
"
They have been "releasing" this thing since around April.....The Belkin site says it will be "available soon".......I have to talk to Chris at SP this week.....I'll ask him about it...
Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline rdflash

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2006, 07:26:52 AM »
Anyone tried this? -> http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/BEL-TUNETALK
"
They have been "releasing" this thing since around April.....The Belkin site says it will be "available soon".......I have to talk to Chris at SP this week.....I'll ask him about it...
Peace,
jk

so, would this be live audio recording worthy?

like good quality?  44.1khz, not that 8 khz crap.

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2006, 07:31:50 AM »
It says CD quality if I'm not mistaken, so 16/44 I guess.
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline rdflash

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2006, 07:38:01 AM »

ya, i would assume, but you know what happens when one assumes...

btw, by the time you bought this and an Ipod, the cost would be like 400 bucks.

I will just stick to my 150 dollar irivers, which might not look as cool, but get the job done  :)

Offline liverecording

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2006, 03:41:39 PM »
Hi

I know you´re well aware of these two toys ...

Question: Has anyone tried them - preferabely in-field first person accounts ;o)

http://www.ikey-audio.com/ikeyplus.htm

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/earphones_recorders/micromemo.php

Thanks alot for providing excellent insights in this great forum

yours,
liverecording

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2006, 07:40:31 PM »

Yep, those are the specs I saw....I guess we will have to wait and see.....and wait....and wait....and wait....and wait.......Do you notice a pattern ?....I really think the RIAA made them put the brakes on regarding its release.....Because if someone uses this evil device to record music it may possibly affect their botton line .......idiots........Do you know that the guy who is the lobbyist for DRM is Jack Valentie....the same guy who said " the VCR is to the movie industry, what Jack the Ripper was to women" while he was the president of the MPAA after he left President Johnson cabinet......The guy is a pure neo-con with alot of pull in Washington........I don't expect to see it all too soon......It might be released after Apple comes out with their NEW 6th Gen iPod in September....Then they will quietly discontinue the 5th Gen which was just really a stop gap measure at best.....to keep people interested in the iPod and NOT their competition while they "perfect" the new kid...(6th Gen).....that way they can limit liability and allow the prodict to be released fro a discontinued model...........I also heard that the ipod battery may not be recording friendly.......early tests with the unit stated 3+ hours record time due to battery limitations...not hard drive space.....and with the device plugged in you cannot use an external battery pack.......Please take this for what you may......I have a 5th gen iPod and will probably grab one just to check it out unless some else gets a chance to test it out first.....

Pease,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com