Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about this Fostex FR2 LE (previously FR3 LE)  (Read 108003 times)

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
Re: Anyone know anything about this Fostex FR2 LE (previously FR3 LE)
« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »
this bag works great. its got some padding, not to much though.  The front pocket holds a spare RC battery and my  compact flash card 4 cf holder.

pretty nice bag and it can be worn around the waste if need be.

http://www.rei.com/product/747530?vcat=REI_SEARCH

check it out.  i would be curious to see what you all are using.

luke
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #346 on: February 06, 2008, 09:19:35 PM »
anyone know
where or who has the lowest price on these?

does busman sell these direct, or still only mod purchased elsewhere FR2-LE's?
also
is anyone using external power supplies?  which ones?
and  or
what internal AA rechargeable are you using?

thanx

I am really considering this as an all in one box... with a busman mod to be added
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #347 on: February 06, 2008, 09:30:21 PM »
Lowest price seems to be from an ebay seller. Do a search there or scroll back to find the seller.
< currently no cheap ones on ebay, scroll back to find a link, seller is something like onlynewitems/newitemsonly from Albany NY; sorry, don't recall the sellers id exactly - found it, new-items-only http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=new-items-only check back as there may be more listed in the future >

You won't need an external power source as you can use a 7.2 volt RC battery internally, connector is built in and if you use AAs, alkaline or rechargeables, they fit in a sled that is the same size as the rc battery and the sled has the rc conector built in. You select which type battery from one of the menus at startup.

Don't know whether busman sells these or only modifies other-sourced units.

It's a pretty nice all-in-one.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:20:56 PM by flipp »

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #348 on: February 07, 2008, 08:07:58 PM »
hey
flipp
thanx
I am still a bit cautious of ebay sellers...
wondering if any other places (audio gear sellers) not on ebay  would have a lower price I see the going rate seems to be $599

is the RC batt something that fostex makes? or is it like a rat shack product
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #349 on: February 07, 2008, 08:15:25 PM »
hey
flipp
thanx
wondering if any other places (audio gear sellers) not on ebay  would have a lower price I see the going rate seems to be $599

more to the side of "like a rat shack product" but not really, as there are quite a few companies that build the batteries that will work with the fr2le..   you should get something like this to power it..

http://www.batteries.com/productprofile.asp?appid=360462

and a charger..   so here is a link to a battery AND charger in a package deal..

http://www.onlybatteries.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=14928.55&cat1=12&uid=1669

of course, you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else with some research...   I merely posted the first link to a charger and batter combo pack I found.. 
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #350 on: February 07, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
hey
flipp
thanx

more to the side of "like a rat shack product" but not really, as there are quite a few companies that build the batteries that will work with the fr2le..   you should get something like this to power it..

http://www.batteries.com/productprofile.asp?appid=360462

and a charger..   so here is a link to a battery AND charger in a package deal..

http://www.onlybatteries.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=14928.55&cat1=12&uid=1669

of course, you can probably find it cheaper somewhere else with some research...   I merely posted the first link to a charger and batter combo pack I found.. 

Hi there.
I've also been able to power this device *externally* with a Walmart 9V battery.  It says 12V, but 9V works fine (for me, at least).
This was a temporary solution while I ordered RC batteries.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #351 on: February 07, 2008, 09:11:58 PM »
I believe the $599 is Fostex's MAP (minimum advertised price). While dealers are free to sell it for less in order for them to remain authorized dealers (for Fostex in this case) they can't advertise it for less. You can call some dealers and see if you can get a better price but many will only match what other dealers sell it for.
Try Full Compass, Sweetwater is another good place for many items but they don't carry Fostex. You might also find returned FR2LEs that are sold for less than new. I got mine that way but won't recommend the place I got it and whether there are used ones in stock at the moment I don't know. You can read about my experience acquiring mine here http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,62698.msg1223643.html#msg1223643

I believe several folks here on ts have purchased from new items only. I haven't seen anyone mention anything negative about them but I'll let those folks speak for themselves.

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #352 on: February 08, 2008, 12:25:51 AM »
hey
flipp & eric.B
thanx
I am aware of MAP pricing...
I like to deal with sweetwater great folks, also I have purchased from Full compass, thats where I got my Fostex D5 DAT, still working since 97!  and it plays dats great!
on sweetwater's site when searching for Fostex I got this
We can special-order any Fostex products you need.
Call us toll-free at 1-800-222-XXXX. Our professional, knowledgeable Sales Engineers can assist you with all of your audio requirements.

I have an email out to my rep there... so I'll see
I'll need to page back to see what CF cards are working for folks, and dose any one know of where to get a good and low price on a 4 or 8gig CF card?
I think that normally B&H photo would be a good source... any other suggestions?
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #353 on: February 08, 2008, 01:02:21 AM »
oh
I just searched
and found that new egg has the  8gb transend here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208340&ATT=20-208-340&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&nm_mc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r&cm_mmc=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r-_-Memory+(Flash+Memory)-_-Transcend-_-20208340

for under $$39

not bad

while the transend site says it lists for $166
Ouch!

new egg must be a reliable dealer?  yes?
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #354 on: February 08, 2008, 01:07:33 AM »
Looks like Sweetwater has changed their policy. Last time I checked with my sales rep he indicated they did not carry Fostex but were looking into the possibility of adding them; guess they compromised.

Check newegg as well as B&H for CF cards. Several folks have reported no problems with the A-Data cards and newegg seems to have them on sale regularly. Only brand I recall seeing anyone mention having a problem with is one of the larger Transcends but that was at a high rate (24/96 I think and it may have been in a Marantz rather than a Fostex). I have had no problems with 2 SanDisk Ultra IIs or a pqi hi speed (all 4gb) in either the FR2 or the LE at rates up to 24/176.4.

< I've had no problems dealing with newegg; good prices, quick shipping and no prblems returning the one item that arrived DOA due to a silica gel packet rupturing and the silica nodules getting into a drive. As soon as I gave them the tracking number they shipped a new drive the same day, didn't even wait for it to get back to them. >
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:12:28 AM by flipp »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #355 on: February 08, 2008, 02:14:09 AM »
NewEgg rules. Got my 8GB and 4GB Transcend 133X CF cards from them.

Super fast shipping, and great deals. I buy almost all of my computer parts from them as well.

Also the 133X Transcend CF cards work perfectly in the FR2-LE. No problems at all here (although I've only been out once with them).
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #356 on: February 08, 2008, 04:48:06 AM »
NewEgg rules. Got my 8GB and 4GB Transcend 133X CF cards from them.

Super fast shipping, and great deals. I buy almost all of my computer parts from them as well.

Also the 133X Transcend CF cards work perfectly in the FR2-LE. No problems at all here (although I've only been out once with them).

Ya, newegg.com is the shiznit.  I use that 8gb card and have run 24/96 with no issues whatsoever.  My 4gb Transcend card is only 120x, but no issues with that either.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline notsofast

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #357 on: February 08, 2008, 11:17:33 AM »
I have been doing business with Newegg for many years and nothing but positives. Over the holidays bought some RAM for wofe's Dell, Dell site said it had four slots for RAM, only had 2. So I had to return the RAM and they gave me a full refund, no restoking charge.

I also bought my FR2LE from B&H and paid $549 but got a 4 gig 133X memory card with it and free shipping. I know I could have done better price wise but you know when you want it, you want it NOW!

I am so very happy with the deck. I am about to make 2, possibly three shows back to back and will report how it does. I have the RC battery and charger and agree it is the way to go, one nice self contained package. I have my new Peluso's to break in, hee hee.

Tim
"Please post the show - I don't think it sucked, which is my normal rule for show postings" Dave Alvin

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #358 on: February 08, 2008, 09:02:03 PM »
great replies..
new egg sounds like a good company...

also
anyone ever use the limiter on this baby?
like for acoustic shows where the crowd cheers are louder than the music?

is it good , or should it be avoided?
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #359 on: February 08, 2008, 11:24:18 PM »

I also bought my FR2LE from B&H and paid $549 but got a 4 gig 133X memory card with it and free shipping. I know I could have done better price wise but you know when you want it, you want it NOW!

I have the RC battery and charger and agree it is the way to go, one nice self contained package.
Tim
so did you deal with some one direct at B&H?
B&H advertise the (MAP) price of $599 on their site, with only a 128MB card.

where did you get your RC battery?

thanx
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com