Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Vocal Mic Recommendation  (Read 1881 times)

Offline mhibbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
Vocal Mic Recommendation
« on: August 25, 2006, 11:02:38 AM »
What's a good vocal mic for recording vocals in a home studio?  A friend of mine is a singer and is looking to start recording some of his vocals at home.  I can give him tons of equipment recommendations as far as recording gear, software, etc but I'm not sure what would be a good single vocal mic that's not super expensive.  I know Neumann has some good ones, but I doubt he's looking to go that route just yet.

thanks...

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Vocal Mic Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 11:31:33 AM »
What's a good vocal mic for recording vocals in a home studio?  A friend of mine is a singer and is looking to start recording some of his vocals at home.  I can give him tons of equipment recommendations as far as recording gear, software, etc but I'm not sure what would be a good single vocal mic that's not super expensive.  I know Neumann has some good ones, but I doubt he's looking to go that route just yet.

thanks...

mitch

For vocals there's no question:  it's entirely voice-dependent.

Your friend needs to go to a pro audio dealer and audition some mics.  People will always want to recommend something, but the best option in this case is to see what works best for the particular voice and style of singing.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 11:41:39 AM »
Some follow the general rule:
Small diaphragm mics for instruments, large diaphragm mics for voice.

Smaller diaphragm mic, in general, are more analytical. Larger diagragms are more forgiving.

Of course these are general guidelines and every voice is different. Past experience gives a good engineer an idea of what microphone to use with each voice.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 01:48:46 PM »
if he only wants to buy one he should see what he likes best with his voice.  the AKG 414 is almost always recommend when i'm reading about this sort of thing, but it has a nice warm tone to it which might not compliment dudes voice the way something else does.  just don't buy a Shure SM58 and expect sick results.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 07:27:50 PM »
Don't rule out the AT large diagram mics either. I have a set of 4040's and everybody who has used them for voice work, loves the sound.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 09:53:34 PM »
I would take home what ever your friend plans on purchasing first, and try it out on his voice in his studio. Any music store that wants to make a sale will allow you to rent a bunch of mics and take them home for a day. I would try and record as many of them as possible, remember to use the same mic position so you can evaluate them properly. I would also sing the exact vocal line into each mic so you can tell. I have used everything from U47 to 414 I find that, as has been said here already, you must match the mic to the performer. And do not rule out SM-58 some pretty famous albums have been cut with that mic as the main vocal mic. So do not fall for brand names fall for sound first price second brand name last.

Chris Church

thanks...

mitch
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 05:26:12 PM »
Thanks everyone....I'll pass the info along.
Oade preamp museum curator

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.241 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com