Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I need help V3 or SD722 ?  (Read 12743 times)

Offline bl6216@yahoo.com

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Photographer:Jim Marshall - Jerry @ Woodstock
I need help V3 or SD722 ?
« on: October 19, 2006, 08:08:41 PM »
I need help I am looking at geting a new rig. I have mic's that I am verry happy with. I want to know pro and cons of going SD722 or V3 -> ?. I love the sound of the to of them and they both sound grate with my mics to my hears. I would love to hear from people that went from a V3 -> ? to a SD722. If there liked it or they feel that they wish they stade with the V3 or the other way.

-Brian
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 11:44:03 PM by bl6216@yahoo.com »
MBHO KA200 N / KA500 HN > Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives > MBHO 603 A > Van Den Hul The Second >  SD722

coming soon Hi Ho Custom Silver Actives

Show I taped on archive.org http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deadhead6216

"We're the first generation that's really capable of saving this music forever. Now is the time because we finally have the digital technology that allows us to preserve it indefinitely. It's also the critical time to do this because the older recordings are really deteriorating. It's an opportunity and it's also a serious responsibility, future generations will hold us responsible for what we do or do not do as far as preserving th

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Re: V3 / SD722
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 08:15:26 PM »
In my case, I run V3 for the preamp and use the 722ADC.  I like the sound of that configuration best.  When I need to be really small, the 722 alone is still damn nice.

Only drawback is the added size and weight of the exteral battery for the V3 but I ran V3>D7 for a long time so it seems natural to have that extra cell in the bag.

An additional advantage to having the V3 is that you can record at 24-bit using the 722 ADC and still put out a high quality 16-bit signal for patchers from the V3 ADC.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 10:56:04 PM »
went from V3>laptop to V3>PDA to NBox+>722 and no regrets.  NBox+ is a fixed gain preamp and power supply, so I am running line-in to the 722.  not entirely the same as ditching the V3 for the mic pre of the 722, but I know I love the sound of the 722's a/d.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline manleyf

• Taperssection Regular
  • http://SoulCoustic.com
    • Separate Reality Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 02:47:11 AM »
In my case, I run V3 for the preamp and use the 722ADC.  I like the sound of that configuration best.  When I need to be really small, the 722 alone is still damn nice.

Only drawback is the added size and weight of the exteral battery for the V3 but I ran V3>D7 for a long time so it seems natural to have that extra cell in the bag.

An additional advantage to having the V3 is that you can record at 24-bit using the 722 ADC and still put out a high quality 16-bit signal for patchers from the V3 ADC.

Is there any way to run 16bit and 24 bit from the V3?  This is not what you are describing is it?  I have a opti-mod V3 and would like to run the V3-SPDIF out > MT-24bit, while simultaneously running the V3-Toslink Out > JB3-16bit for a backup bit bucket.

Is this possible with the V3?

Thanks,
Manley
Earthworks SR30/SRO > V3 > MT/JB3
Church Audio Pro-Cards/Mini-Omnis > ChruchAudio 9100 PreAmp > MT/JB3
http://RecordMeLive.com
http://SoulCoustic.com

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
Re: I need help V3 or SD722 ?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 03:17:12 AM »
unfortunately you can't run 24bit to one, and 16bit to the other.  About your only option is getting a truncated 16bit source for your jb3 or running analog out from the v3.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 04:47:26 AM »

Is there any way to run 16bit and 24 bit from the V3?  This is not what you are describing is it?  I have a opti-mod V3 and would like to run the V3-SPDIF out > MT-24bit, while simultaneously running the V3-Toslink Out > JB3-16bit for a backup bit bucket.

Is this possible with the V3?

Thanks,
Manley

I think that only the MMe and rhe AD2K can do this...
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Wiggler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 09:17:36 AM »
To my ears the V3 has a better pre amp stage. If you are intending to run a pre in front of it, I think the 722 is the way to go.
I feel the V3>772 combo sounds significantly better in the lower frequency range and in delivering a three dimensional soundstage over the 722 alone.
If your looking for a all in one solution I'd give a good hard listen to the Doug Oade Modified Fostex Fr-2, Tascam HD-P2 and Marantz 671 boxes he offers.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:01:16 PM by Wiggler »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 09:28:44 AM »

I can definitely agree with michaels opinion.  While I do think the sound of the 722 pre (a slight bit bloated at times) is not perfect, it is damn near it...to the point where I have no desire to mule around a 148 or a V3 to get to that level of perfection.  I also feel that some that bash the pre in the unit, are "piling on" and in a blind test couldnt tell the difference....fact is the grace units are popular (for good reason) and that will drive some decisions.  It all comes back to marginal gains...do you think the improvement is significant or slight and that will drive your decision.

I agree with the suggestion to look into other recorders as well.  There are now options, not all of which are in the price range of the 722...so if you are on the page of the Grace sound, get a cheaper recorder, as the 722, if you arent going to run it on its own, at least at times, is a bit of overkill imo.

ymmv

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 09:50:09 AM »
I recently did an acoustic guitar comp and was pretty disappointed in the v3. It really depends on what you are recording.  I've also made some great recordings with v3>722 and just 722. But since that comp, I will be reaching for the v3 less often.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 10:42:04 AM »
I recently did an acoustic guitar comp and was pretty disappointed in the v3.(snip) But since that comp, I will be reaching for the v3 less often.

Curious...reaching for it less often for unamplified acoustic material (as in the comp), or in general?  If in general, have you done other comps in different scenarios to get a feel for how the same units compare in different circumstances?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 02:50:38 PM »
<~~ also ditched a v3 for an acm671. just sayin.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 03:09:35 PM »
my v3 is being left unplugged more and more since I got the 722. And, actually, I've been considering selling it.

Me too. My V3 is being used for analog transfers for now. Cassette deck>V3(analog outs)>722@24/96. But when all those cassettes are finished the V3 might be finished to. It's so nice just carrying the 722 :).

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 03:20:11 PM »
why spend 2400 on a 722 that at some point will need a new hd,

I would agree that there are other options out there, and yes, logic says taht the HD will have to be replaced some day, but the 722 is worth every dime for me and for most that use it.

The A/D at 24 bit is second to none and the preamps are damn near perfect (as stated above)...so to say that the price difference between it and other options is $1300 for  HD that will need replacing is a bit off the mark imo. 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 03:58:25 PM »
hard drives dont last "long", its a fact.  it'll be sooner than later that it needs to be replaced.

No doubt, and Sound Devices will continue to be the best in class vendor that i have dealt with in this industry.  Everytime the 722 has had a problem, they have gone to lengths to fix it at their cost (even when doing feature enhancements)...not something you see from every company

i think a lot of 722 owners try to justify their purchase somehow, clouding their judgement.  (im not saying thats what youre doing nick, just sayin')

and the folks that dont own a 722 like to bash it based on price point, pile on the preamps, etc, because they want to justify not spending the $$$ to get one...just saying...I have never been one to criticize people for spending what their ears say they should (and the wallet obviously has to agree), regardless of it is in the low $$s or the high $$s....so you wont see me do that here.  But that said, of the tapes I have heard made with the other HD recorders on the market, to my ears,  the sound of the AD is different...not bad necessarily, but different.  And of the options on the market, there is no doubt in my mind that of all the options under $3K (to exclude the way upper end gear), none of them sound close to the 722.  That said, they sound great...it isnt like it used to be...MD to DAT to MP3 recorder, but the difference is there.

And I dont know about other 722 owners, but I will speak for myself...I dont throw money around just to have a "cool piece of gear" and if it didnt sound better than other options I wouldnt have it.

As always ymmv, and to each their own.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 04:32:54 PM »
i agree the a/d of the 722 is better than the v3, but im not convinced its any better than a 671 or p2.

just b/c it costs alot doesnt make it good and i think a lot of 722 owners try to justify their purchase somehow, clouding their judgement.

Ever considered that maybe the people running the 671 or p2 are trying to justify their purchase by saying the a/d in the 722 isn't any better?

Everyone I know that has a 7xx has been happy with the a/d and if they weren't, I don't think they'd sit around and "justify their purchase" since they hold their value and could easily be sold for close to what the new price is anyway. In fact, the only people I've seen that have sold a 722 was either to get a 702t for timecode or 744 for running matrixes.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com