Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MAC users, help my computer illiterate ass out!  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
MAC users, help my computer illiterate ass out!
« on: December 01, 2006, 09:58:05 AM »
Hey Guys,

So my computer recently crashed, and my girlfriend has a wonderful new Imac.  I have downloaded the xnjb program but have no freakin idea how to install it. 

Also I viewed the mac resources thread in the archive and I don't see anything similar to CDwave.  How do I track my shows on a mac?

It also seems that there are very few editing softwares that can be used, am I right to assume that my beloved Sound Forge can't be used?  How about WaveLab?

If I have a software ready to download, how do I run a .exe file?  I can't seem to get it to work.

Please help my ass, I still have a bunch of shows from Vegoose to transfer and about a million shows to work on besides that.  I was hoping to get a macbook in the beginning of next year, but now I am not so sure.

Thanks,
Joe
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MAC users, help my computer illiterate ass out!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 10:24:01 AM »
So my computer recently crashed, and my girlfriend has a wonderful new Imac.  I have downloaded the xnjb program but have no freakin idea how to install it. 

download the zip file, double click to extract that to your hard drive.  The folder will be extracted to wherever you downloaded the zip file to, so make sure you know where that is, or can find it easily.  A window should come up similar to windows installer, agree to the terms, etc.  You'll have to drag and drop the xNJB icon from the dmg to your "applications" folder, if you want to permanently install the program.  This is easier than it sounds, hard to type out, PM me if you need more help.

Also I viewed the mac resources thread in the archive and I don't see anything similar to CDwave.  How do I track my shows on a mac?

No CDwav sadly  :(  You can use Audacity, SoundStudio, really any audio editing software to track.  Be sure to fix SBE's in xACT, something that CDWav does for you but it's just another step for macs.

It also seems that there are very few editing softwares that can be used, am I right to assume that my beloved Sound Forge can't be used?  How about WaveLab?

Nope and Nope  :)  Macs have a ton of audio software available, and I'd say that some are certainly superior to Wavlab, Soundforge, etc.  You just have to look for them.

If I have a software ready to download, how do I run a .exe file?  I can't seem to get it to work.

You can't run .exe files on a mac without running Virtual PC or, if you have an intel mac, booting into XP vi bootcamp.  EXE's are windows files. 

Let us know if you need any more help.  :)
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 11:02:16 AM »
Thanks,

I might have to PM you from time to time.

Joe

Offline rasta

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 10:19:39 AM »

No CDwav sadly  :(  You can use Audacity, SoundStudio, really any audio editing software to track.  Be sure to fix SBE's in xACT, something that CDWav does for you but it's just another step for macs.

I am trying to figure this stuff out also.  What is SBE and why does it need to be fixed in xACT
4023>m148>722

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 03:11:52 PM »
SBE = Sector Boundary Error. CDs burn in units called sectors equivalent to 1/75th of a second. If you don't split your files on the boundary of a sector, you get a nice little click or pop between tracks. xACT can detect and fix SBE's with the "fix SBE" tab. Contrary to popular belief, it's NOT another step for Macs, because "fix SBE" can encode to FLAC *and* fix SBE's at the same time. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 09:40:14 AM »
SBE = Sector Boundary Error. CDs burn in units called sectors equivalent to 1/75th of a second. If you don't split your files on the boundary of a sector, you get a nice little click or pop between tracks. xACT can detect and fix SBE's with the "fix SBE" tab. Contrary to popular belief, it's NOT another step for Macs, because "fix SBE" can encode to FLAC *and* fix SBE's at the same time. :)

Everytime I try this I get an error.  Also, I am impatient so I have burned several discs without fixing SBEs and I get no clicks or pops.

Joe

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 10:37:58 AM »
What kind of error do you get? The only ones I can think of are if you only have one file (because there's nowhere to put the bits that are snipped off the end) or if the files aren't CD-quality (i.e. 48k). If you get an error, let Scott know; it might be a bug and he's good about fixing that stuff...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 05:24:06 PM »

Everytime I try this I get an error.  Also, I am impatient so I have burned several discs without fixing SBEs and I get no clicks or pops.

Joe

what error? 

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 05:23:49 PM »

Joe

what error? 

I will do it again tonight and see exactley what it says.

Thanks for eveyone's help.

Joe

Offline ljramsey

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 07:30:36 AM »

Joe

Not all SBE's can be heard on the master disc. Clicks or pops become more noticable each time your burn a disc; i.e. you burn a copy for a friend, then he burns a copy for another friend, and so on. The quality will degrade with each generation.

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 09:54:37 AM »
I just transfered my first recording to my MAC. I am lost on how to track with audacity. can anyone help me out on this?

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 03:03:56 AM »
I just transfered my first recording to my MAC. I am lost on how to track with audacity. can anyone help me out on this?

What specifically do you want to know?
 ???

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 08:53:19 AM »
Probably just need to add markers and split by the markers. Shouldn't be too hard to dig around for how to do that.

Offline ljramsey

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 10:02:04 AM »

1) When you open the recording you will have one long file.
2) Go the wherever you want to split your first track and click that with the mouse, you will leave a line across both the left and right channel after doing so.
3) Go to Edit, Select, Start to Cursor - this will highlight the area to the left of your line
4) Go to Edit, Split or Command Key & 'S'
5) The newly split track will drop below the longer wave form
6) Continue to do this for each track
7) When you are done click & hold the cursor on the top track, which is the last track of your file, and drag it to the bottom of your track list
8 ) Go to File, Export Multiple to export all tracks as individual tracks
9) Select Export Format, typically to WAV
10) Select Export Location
11) Select Name Consectively under Name File and add Name File Prefix
12) Click on Export

All files will be exported as individual tracks

Hope this helps.

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Team Canada
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 10:11:34 AM »
I use the marker feature also. Never really thought about doing it with that split method. The end result is the same and they probably take about as much time... ymmv.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com