Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 won't power up. Ideas?  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Benny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Etree
JB3 won't power up. Ideas?
« on: December 03, 2006, 05:10:15 PM »
Taped RJD2 last night without incident. I left my taping gear in my truck over night and I know it was cold (probably 10 degrees) which was a bad move. I hit the power button earlier and the start up screen came on but it wouldn't ever get to the menu, kept shutting itself off. I've had it charging for about 3 hours now but it won't turn on at all. Any ideas?
CO Crüe - A drinkin' team with a tapin' problem

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
Re: JB3 won't power up. Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 06:01:38 PM »
A bad hard-drive will make it shut off.  Creative's hard drives are notorious for dieing. 
Super easy to replace if needed.

My 2 pennies.
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline Benny

• Etree
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 06:12:01 PM »
Is it possible to get my recording off it? What's it cost to replace the HD?

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 10:10:37 AM »
Have you tried removing the batteries, replacing the batteries to see if it turns on?  How about using the AC power cord to power it up?

TOdd
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline Benny

• Etree
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 11:10:56 AM »
todd - i have pulled the batteries but i dont have any other ones to try putting in. and i do have the ac cord plugged in right now but it's still not coming on. thanks for the input guys. others?

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 11:15:31 AM »
todd - i have pulled the batteries but i dont have any other ones to try putting in. and i do have the ac cord plugged in right now but it's still not coming on. thanks for the input guys. others?

Could be condensation too. I think you may want to let it sit for a while.

-e
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline tfrench

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 11:43:08 AM »
If it won't start up after you let it sit, you can try the below from the JB3 FAQ's:
-
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=16338.0
-
It's probably a good idea to do a Format All regularly to ensure you don't run into problems like excessive fragmentation.  Instructions:

1. Remove the battery or press the reset button.
2. Either while reinserting the battery or after reset ensure that the stop button is held down.
3. As soon as the 'Creative' logo appears on the screen during the boot sequence, release the stop button. Immediately press and release the play button. The unit should boot to a diagnostics mode with several recovery options.

Those are:

[a.] Clean Up (Performs a scan disk on the HDD)
      [b.] Format All (*WARNING* ALL contents will be lost, including pre-installed content)
      [c.] Reload OS (*WARNING* THIS IS AN ADVANCED OPTION. DO NOT choose this unless you are sure of what you are doing as you could render your player unusable. You must also have a suitable firmware file on your PC for reloading via USB)
      [d.] Reboot
-
Todd
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 12:09:24 PM »
If it won't start up after you let it sit, you can try the below from the JB3 FAQ's:
-
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=16338.0
-
It's probably a good idea to do a Format All regularly to ensure you don't run into problems like excessive fragmentation.  Instructions:

1. Remove the battery or press the reset button.
2. Either while reinserting the battery or after reset ensure that the stop button is held down.
3. As soon as the 'Creative' logo appears on the screen during the boot sequence, release the stop button. Immediately press and release the play button. The unit should boot to a diagnostics mode with several recovery options.

Those are:

[a.] Clean Up (Performs a scan disk on the HDD)
      [b.] Format All (*WARNING* ALL contents will be lost, including pre-installed content)
      [c.] Reload OS (*WARNING* THIS IS AN ADVANCED OPTION. DO NOT choose this unless you are sure of what you are doing as you could render your player unusable. You must also have a suitable firmware file on your PC for reloading via USB)
      [d.] Reboot
-
Todd

If the unit won't start up he's not going to be able to get it moving in order to format it.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline tfrench

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 12:12:11 PM »
If the unit won't start up he's not going to be able to get it moving in order to format it.
In the original post he noted he was able to see the start up screen.  It would not hurt to try if nothing else is working.

Todd
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 12:35:36 PM by tfrench »

Recording Gear:

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 12:30:31 PM »
In the original post he noted he was able to see the start up screen.  I would not hurt to try if nothing else is working.

Todd

For sure, if you can get it started up a format will certainly help things along.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Benny

• Etree
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 08:57:18 PM »
so i tried it with simpy's batteries, didnt work. put mine back in and the silly thing fired up all by itself!! :)  thanks for the input guys, +T's 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 12:53:44 AM by Benny »

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 12:56:11 AM »
Try the reset button on the back, that may make it turn on.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com