Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dual core processors?  (Read 5770 times)

Offline jcrab66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: dual core processors?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 08:04:24 PM »
those intel dual cores are great chips but if you wait a couple of months the price of them will drop significantly when the quad core comes out...

I said it last year and I will say it again in 2007 - don't trust John Crabby's opinion on taping or especially what is good equipment or a good purchase.  Just an FYI for all of you who don't know JCrabb's rep

hey!, look who it is, nice to see the stalker is still out there and to quote a well respected ts.com mod

"winisp, stfu you donkey"
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 08:21:35 PM by jcrab66 »
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 01:08:50 PM »
those intel dual cores are great chips but if you wait a couple of months the price of them will drop significantly when the quad core comes out...

I said it last year and I will say it again in 2007 - don't trust John Crabby's opinion on taping or especially what is good equipment or a good purchase.  Just an FYI for all of you who don't know JCrabb's rep

hey!, look who it is, nice to see the stalker is still out there and to quote a well respected ts.com mod

"winisp, stfu you donkey"

take it to another thread guys.
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline JoeKiller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
It all boils down to performance.  AMD used to be on top however the Core2 is the shiz dizzle and blows away AMD.  No really it does, and I have an X2 in my computer, so don't call me a fanboi.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline Dr.FOB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 08:45:50 PM »
I did a bunch of research before building.  What I found most supported:
If you are after mathmatical performance, rendering video or mixing multichannel audio, then the AMD 64 will serve you better.
If you want data performance, a server application, pick an Intel.

My new workstation is a dual AMD 280.   A dual pass DVD render that use to take me overnight with my 2.2Ghz Intel can now be done in almost real time.  Times are even faster if only single pass or CBR rendered.

As stated above, multicore performance gains can only be realized if your software supports multicore/processors.
Neumann gear slut

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 09:56:58 AM »
Hey there,
   For the record, I went with the amd 4000+ san diego, and a foxcon mobo.  The foxcon is lower-end I know, but it has sata, raid, 4 pci slots and one pci express 16.  No video so I went with a $40 pci-e 16 msi card.  quite an improvement over my previous onboard video.  I bought a thermaltake 430w ps that had 9 sata/ata connectors, an $8 asus cpu fan, a samsung 400gb sata drive, a full tower coolmax case and a 1gb strip of 3dfuzion ram.  The absolute coolest thing I got though was a kingwin mobile rack case.  This is a 5,25 internal mounted sleeve that allows you to quickly mount additional hard drives.  I have 3 or 4 extra ~200gb drives that have been rotation in and out of an external usb encloser and that got old quick.  The rack case allows me to just mount the drives into the sleve and all I have to do is power down and swap.  I bought 3 extra sleves for about $10 each.  This concept is very similar to the way a drive mounts in a alesis hd24 if anyone is familiar with that.  Great for organizing files from drive to drive.  I also purchased a fresh copy of xp home for $89 that includes a free upgrade to vista.
     Obviously this is a systemn of compromise, but performance wise it is a huge upgrade over my amd 2600 machine and I am very pleased.  I used an existing 160gb drive for my main drive my 2 existing dvd drives, a slightly aged 20" compaq crt monitor (for now) and a 3.5 internal card reader.  I dropped about $600.  I have noticed a major difference in large flac projects and the time it takes to defrag drives.  My original goal of being able to mix 24 tracks is now a breeze and the render time to go from mix to two track is about cut in half... let alone the time I'm saving by having a large internal drive for projects that are in-cue and being able to easily insert my archive drives.

Thanks to all that helped!!!

Matt 
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
I have a question too! I have a Pentium d 2.8 dual core what is the difference between that and a *dual core* processor that costs quite a bit more  my processor is not the celeron cpu. This whole cpu thing is very confusing I had a Pentium 4 2.8 it seems this new chip is faster, what are the differences though? thanks.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com