Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: hacker and cable geniuses, enter  (Read 7143 times)

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
hacker and cable geniuses, enter
« on: January 06, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
So, I need a specialty cable but I don't know if it is possible to make.  What I want is a coax to optical cable.  I know there are 7 pin to optical cables and was wondering if a coax to opti was even possible. 

The reason I ask is there is a certain pre/ad that I want but it doesn't put out opti, just spdif or aes.  I don't want another bit bucket, I'm happy with my lil ole jb3 for 2 channel and I don't care for the microtrackers.  I don't want to shell out for 671/p2 or the like as I like to have the pre/ad seperate.

So, is this even possible?  Any hackers wanna give it a try for $$?

Excuse my ignorance if this obviously can't be done.

-Jon

edit to add:  I know I could use a hosa box but I don't need more taping junk, I have too much as is  :P

BobW

Re: hacker and cable geniuses, enter
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 10:10:31 PM »
Don't you need a Hosa converter or something like that?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 10:17:18 PM by _bob_ »

stirinthesauce

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 10:19:37 PM »
I have an m-audio co-2, but was hoping for less.  A single cable job.

BobW

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 10:27:29 PM »

There are modules that can be put in a fibre optic connector/coax connector cable, but they need power.
It looks like the 7-pin allowed for power connection.
http://www.fet.uni-hannover.de/~purnhage/dat/d7connector.html

stirinthesauce

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 10:36:37 PM »

There are modules that can be put in a fibre optic connector/coax connector cable, but they need power.

ahhh, ok.  Thanks for the link.  Not possible then if it needs power for the conversion.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 10:56:40 PM »

ahhh, ok.  Thanks for the link.  Not possible then if it needs power for the conversion.

What is your ADC?  I've successfully hacked two DMIC-20's to add an optical output.  The hardest part was the mechanical aspect: cutting a square hole and epoxying an optical transmitter in there...

The rest was just running three wires (signal, +5V, gnd) from places on the board to the optical transmitter.  Oh yeah, putting a 0.1uF poly cap across the power at the optical connector.  That's it.  Really!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

stirinthesauce

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 11:52:39 PM »

What is your ADC?  I've successfully hacked two DMIC-20's to add an optical output.  The hardest part was the mechanical aspect: cutting a square hole and epoxying an optical transmitter in there...

The rest was just running three wires (signal, +5V, gnd) from places on the board to the optical transmitter.  Oh yeah, putting a 0.1uF poly cap across the power at the optical connector.  That's it.  Really!

Richard

Well, I was thinking about trading my oade w+mod ua-5 for a minime.  Reason being the mini-me would be more useful as an additional 2 channels via aes for my multi-track rig.  Trying to consolidate my taping gear so everthing is cross compatible for my needs.  All those hacker terms up there, make no sense.  I probably haven't played around any with a soldering iron in 20 years and even as a kid, was just simple messing stuff up.  So I have no clue what you said   :D  Really just putting feelers out if some kinda cable is possible.  Guess my best bet is to just have coax>opti converter in my chain.  Thanks for all ya'lls help  :)

Now if I pick one up and someone feels capable of offering services for a transmitter output, feel free to chime in.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 11:54:31 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 12:03:53 AM »
when i ran mme > jb3 i used one of the hosa converters, the odl-276 which was aes > optical. its bit perfect and built like a tank

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 12:24:29 AM »

Richard

Well, I was thinking about trading my oade w+mod ua-5 for a minime.  Reason being the mini-me would be more useful as an additional 2 channels via aes for my multi-track rig.  Trying to consolidate my taping gear so everthing is cross compatible for my needs.  All those hacker terms up there, make no sense.  I probably haven't played around any with a soldering iron in 20 years and even as a kid, was just simple messing stuff up.  So I have no clue what you said   :D  Really just putting feelers out if some kinda cable is possible.  Guess my best bet is to just have coax>opti converter in my chain.  Thanks for all ya'lls help  :)

Now if I pick one up and someone feels capable of offering services for a transmitter output, feel free to chime in.

Consolidating gear.  That's a good way to talk yourself into some gear slutting!

What are you trying to do?  Do I see a computer in there somewhere to get four tracks?  Well, if you want four track, or just very convenient two track, I think the R4 is the way to go.  I've tried a lot of stuff, and the R4 is the simplest... by far.  My eyes were opened.  Suddenly I could pay attention to other stuff and not have to mind a laptop!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 12:33:16 AM »
No, not trying to do 4 channels.  Trying to add 2 more to my 16.  Then when I add another 8 next month, I'll have another 2 to that for 26 channels ;D

Yes, trying to rationalize some sluttiness.   :P  ;)

The ua-5 is wonderful for taping but not so hot for multitracking.  No aes.  Plus apogee looks so much better on a product page than edirol  8)  I may loose 2 channels (loved running 4 mic mixes for taping) by going mme over ua-5 but looking for a change. 

Anyways, looks like I need a hosa box and sell my m-audio co-2 on fleabay.

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 05:51:29 PM »
Hey Jon, seems like a simple solution but why not go for the V3 instead? It has AES, Coax, and can be modded by Grace to output Optical. They cannabilize the Word Clock port to make this happen. I know Skalinder ran that very setup for a while back in 2004-5, so he could relate his experiences with ease of use, jitter, etc...

I'm thinking hard about selling my V3 (any offers?)

I just bought another pair of Schoeps 64's from a friend for a sweetheart deal, so thinking about switching to the Edirol R4 and using all four Schoeps channels that way when setting up the mics.
CCM5's in spaced omni and MK4's in XY or ORTF. That's what I'm talking about.

I would also be curious to hear Skalinder's reports comparing the V3 to the R4

stirinthesauce

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 04:21:03 PM »
Hey Jon, seems like a simple solution but why not go for the V3 instead? It has AES, Coax, and can be modded by Grace to output Optical. They cannabilize the Word Clock port to make this happen. I know Skalinder ran that very setup for a while back in 2004-5, so he could relate his experiences with ease of use, jitter, etc...

I'm thinking hard about selling my V3 (any offers?)

I just bought another pair of Schoeps 64's from a friend for a sweetheart deal, so thinking about switching to the Edirol R4 and using all four Schoeps channels that way when setting up the mics.
CCM5's in spaced omni and MK4's in XY or ORTF. That's what I'm talking about.

I would also be curious to hear Skalinder's reports comparing the V3 to the R4

I'm with you, it would be easier but, 2 reasons why I'm not going the grace route.  I'm not a huge fan of their pre's (shocking, i know, but everyone's ears are different).  Plus, the minime that I'm hopefully gonna have by next week will run me about 500 less than an opti mod v3.  That is 500 I don't have at the moment.  Especially since I'm about to buy a saffire pro.

Good luck on your future purchases  :)

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 06:27:54 PM »
You've been hangin' round Dirk too long I see.  ;)

stirinthesauce

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 10:30:14 PM »
You've been hangin' round Dirk too long I see.  ;)

I'm not that slutty.  At least not until this summer.  Then things will be changing for the worse  >:D 

Summer forecast.............hot and slutty  :veryevil:

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 12:13:48 AM »
I just bought another pair of Schoeps 64's from a friend for a sweetheart deal, so thinking about switching to the Edirol R4 and using all four Schoeps channels that way when setting up the mics. CCM5's in spaced omni and MK4's in XY or ORTF. That's what I'm talking about.
do it. you won't be disappointed. I've really been impressed with the 4 mic mixes I've done, espescially 2 channel coincident + 2 channel omni.

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 01:07:09 AM »
I will. Trying to liquidate some gear to make room for the R4 or R4 pro.
Gotta get the Busman mods too. Thanks for the encouragement.

stirinthesauce

Re: WAS:hacker and cable geniuses, enter NOW - slutty talk
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 09:23:55 AM »
Thread delrailment (my fault) so changed header.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com