Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Setting Levels Question  (Read 1233 times)

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Setting Levels Question
« on: November 06, 2007, 01:06:49 PM »
Heres one for you Voltage/Amplitude people. 

When running 24 bit would it be possible to get more low end by having your levels peak at -2 vs. -5? 

I've been giving this some thought lately that by running hotter levels you may be able to add more thump to a recording?  Is this even possible?  Am I dilusional? 
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
Re: Setting Levels Question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 01:59:07 PM »
I try to run 24/48 to -2 with DPA 4022 and i think it gives it more thump depth, but agin it jsut could be my ears.  I taped RUSH this past JUNE and i pushed the peak limit and I think its very thick but much depth at the low end. It does require good playback system.  Some people complain about the recording saying its too " much bottom end when i listen to it on my computer"  I would think people should know that not to playback or master recordings on computer speakers.

jsut my .02d cents

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Setting Levels Question
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 02:28:39 PM »
So heres what got me thinking about this and I may have answered my own question. 

I run a Schoeps V3 722 combo (Naturally thumpy) and had been running it to peak at -2 much like I did in the 16 bit days.  I was recently told to trim back the 722 so that my levels peaked at -5 or so.  I've done this a few times and it seems that I'm not getting the low end I used too running with hotter levels. 

Now I may have answered my own question here becasue by running my levels to peak at -5 or so I needed to pull back on the gain of the V3 (Naturally Thumpy) and adding a bit of gain on the 722.  So it is most likely the fact that the V3 is providing less gain (read Thump) that resulted in less bass. 

But my question remains is it possible to get more Low End simply by adding voltage at the pre amp level?? 
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com