Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO Slap Back plug in  (Read 2496 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
ISO Slap Back plug in
« on: September 26, 2009, 09:07:28 PM »
Anybody know where I can get a free slapback plug in?  Or maybe has one they'd be willing to share?  I'm doing a multi track mixdown and was asked to add some slapback to a vocal feed and believe it or not, Samplitude, Wavelab, Audition, and Soundforge none of them have it in their effects packages.  Thanx, Kirk

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: ISO Slap Back plug in
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:33:57 PM »
Anybody know where I can get a free slapback plug in?  Or maybe has one they'd be willing to share?  I'm doing a multi track mixdown and was asked to add some slapback to a vocal feed and believe it or not, Samplitude, Wavelab, Audition, and Soundforge none of them have it in their effects packages.  Thanx, Kirk

Any of those DAW's most likely have delay plug ins.  Throw about 130- 150ms of delay on the vocal track and mix the wet/dry signals until it sounds just right. 

EDIT:  I have access to a few nice delay units (and plug-ins, for that matter), so if you want me to process the track and send it back to you, let me know.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 09:36:08 PM by Patrick »
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

kirk97132

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »
It was my understanding that slapback is more than just delay.  We already talked about adding delay but they asked specifically for slapback.  Thanks for the offer to do the work but it's a whole set not just a track.  And, I am not in a position to pass this out since it is destined to go up for sale at nugs.net, Kirk

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:05:45 PM »
It was my understanding that slapback is more than just delay.  We already talked about adding delay but they asked specifically for slapback.  Thanks for the offer to do the work but it's a whole set not just a track.  And, I am not in a position to pass this out since it is destined to go up for sale at nugs.net, Kirk

Nah, a slapback effect is achieved with a just a delay unit.  Unless you have a tape machine, and you can set up an echoplex type mechanism, that is.  The real slapback sound came from moving the playback heads around on a tape loop so with each repeat, the sound would play back with a certain amount of "offset."  Route both the original track and the affected track into two channels on a mixer and viola!

In your case, if you really want to try and get the delay to sound more like tape, try rolling off some of the high end on just the delay-ed channel.  But really just delaying the track by 150ms will give you exactly what you need.  If you're feeling frisky, turn up the feedback (repeats) a little so you get that really fast ping-pong effect, which works well in certain situations.

Hope this helps.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

kirk97132

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 03:35:35 PM »
Thanks Patrick

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:15:35 AM »
I don't know first hand about how to do this with the other software mentioned, but Samplitude has this. It's not a preset, but you can do this within the echo/delay/reverb dialogue. You can have a single echo or set it for multitap. The amount can be set with the wet/dry level slider. The delay time is also adjustable.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

kirk97132

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »
After delving in a little deeper and reading up slapback is just pure reverb.  That term really applies more to the external foot controled type units rather than the effect itself.   It can be accomplished on any of the digital software that is commonly used.  Thanks all for the input.  Kirk

kirk97132

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 03:13:37 PM »
FYI I guess I can't read.  I found two slapback plug ins under delay in Adobe Audition.  I must have been looking only in reverb.  Fully variable parameters. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com