Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix Delay in Cool Edit  (Read 2148 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Matrix Delay in Cool Edit
« on: December 10, 2004, 11:30:19 AM »
I recorded Railroad Earth last night using Cool Edit Pro 2 in to my laptop.  Now there is a huge delay between the mics and board.  I knew this would happen but now how do I fix it?  In the past (when recording with two different devices) I have tracked out the soundboard and used audacity to slide those tracks around lining them up with the mic feed.  This sucked and it drove me crazy attempting to determine on each song if things were lined up or not.  Is there a way to add a delay to the entire board track in cool edit to correct this issue?  If I put both sources in audacity and line them up at the first song will they stay lined up?  Is there a fast fix to this problem that wont give he a headache and make it so that I never want to listen to the recording again?  If one were looking to get a digital delay what would do the trick in this kind of recording situation? 
Thanks,
Ed

FWIW
SBD> (RCA) Roland ED UA-30> (USB)> Cool Edit Pro 2 (Multitrack)
Balcony Clamped MBHO KA500N/648A (DIN)> PSP3> Minime> (USB) Cool Edit Pro 2 (Multitrack)
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Matrix Delay in Cool Edit
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 12:08:06 PM »
not really sure which unit would do the trick but i remember learning in my concert recording class (yes they offer classes in taping at NYU :)) that when applying delay for this type of thing its usually done with the formula 1ms per foot away from the sound source. thus if your mics were oh say 30 ft from the stage, it should be 30 ms slower than the sbd feed. this is a rule of thumb though i believe and not an exact formula by any means. when ive tried to do this type of alignment before, i added both tracks to CE2K multitrack (would be the same in CEP though).  then i picked a reference point (loud snare hit for example) and located it on both sources. then using a calculator i found the difference between the 2. with that knowledge, id simply move the sbd track over by that number. sorry if thats confusing, but its the best i can do to explain it. its worked for me. lemme know if youve got any questions

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 01:20:00 PM »
If you record two sources for a matrix using two A/Ds, will the waves align over the length of a show?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 05:46:09 PM »
If you record two sources for a matrix using two A/Ds, will the waves align over the length of a show?

Probably not.  The speed of sound is also a function of ambient temperature, so as more people get into the venue and start heating it up, the delay difference between the board and the aud recording will change.  I've found that to do it right, you need to align it several times per show/set (and also use the stretch function).
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 03:55:03 AM »
Now there is a huge delay between the mics and board.  I knew this would happen but now how do I fix it? 

right-click on the soundboard wave and drag it over to the right - do a major zoom in, line things up, then adjust by ear.  You can press play and lock onto a spot visually, then slide the wave around and hear the difference.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com