Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4 channel 24/96 redering in Wavelab  (Read 2948 times)

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
4 channel 24/96 redering in Wavelab
« on: May 27, 2005, 06:57:54 PM »
I have a 4 channel mix (2 stereo channels) from a 744 set up in Wavelab 5 montage and I am trying to render it down to 2 channels. It will be over 2 gigs to render & save the whole file so I have dropped markers in for the songs in the hope of saving each individual song as stereo 2 channel from the original 4 channel. I have been suceessful doing this with 2 channel 24/94 wave (not in montage) files but can't figure out how to do this in montage with the 4 channels.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Brothers

Offline jimmyrow

• Uploader Slowpokerus
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 190 Years of Athletic Mediocrity
Re: 4 channel 24/96 redering in Wavelab
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 07:58:59 PM »
I never figured out any way to make this work in wavelab.......I have started recording four mono files rather than doing "wav poly" since they can be manipulated anyway you want to in post production.

Hell, I couldn't even get the files OPENED, so if you did that, you figured out something beyond what I was able to do......

Jimbo
I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read.

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 08:39:43 PM »
I never figured out any way to make this work in wavelab.......I have started recording four mono files rather than doing "wav poly" since they can be manipulated anyway you want to in post production.

Hell, I couldn't even get the files OPENED, so if you did that, you figured out something beyond what I was able to do......

Jimbo
First show I did "wav poly" 4 channel I was not able to open in Wavelab or Samplitude. This last one that I am referencing here I did as 4 mono files. I have them all opened & alligned etc in wavelab montage just cant figure out how to save it as a stereo wave or several smalller stereo waves. Have you been able to save your 4 mono files in some way that you could keep it in 24/96?
Steve

Offline Dr.FOB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • USM69i
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 10:00:53 PM »
I haven't been able to produce diddly in Wavelabs multichannel environment.  I have tried hi-rez multichannel DVD-A creation without success.  I believe it is an infant capability that will grow into a surround sound package capable of producing multichannel DVD-A.  But not yet!  Like Sound Forge, Wavelab is a stereo waveform editor.

I do my multichannel mixdowns in Vegas.  I believe that if you move up the Steinberg offering to Cubase that you will find a similar capability for audo.  Vegas of course handles both audio and video ;)
Neumann gear slut

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 10:22:05 PM »
I haven't been able to produce diddly in Wavelabs multichannel environment.  I have tried hi-rez multichannel DVD-A creation without success.  I believe it is an infant capability that will grow into a surround sound package capable of producing multichannel DVD-A.  But not yet!  Like Sound Forge, Wavelab is a stereo waveform editor.

I do my multichannel mixdowns in Vegas.  I believe that if you move up the Steinberg offering to Cubase that you will find a similar capability for audo.  Vegas of course handles both audio and video ;)
Thanks for the info Dr. I will have to take a look at those programs. By the way, good to meet you at the DBT show. This is the one I am having troubles mixing down.
Steve

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 10:53:06 AM »
Steve - I started browsing the official Wavelab forum over at Cubase.net.  Apparantly Wavelab has not implemented a split function while rendering large files.  you have to use markers(I know.....you are using them ;) ) here is the workaround with markers.  this is a quote from somebody at that forum:

Anyway, until the 2GB limit will be broken in WL (which is going to happen if I understood PG correctly), or until the split function you want is implemented, maybe the easiest workaround is to render the complete montage in two or three portions by marking parts which will render to less than 2GB (with the boarders set to pauses in the show) and then apply "render marked selection.

However, apparantly you need to make a as few splits as possible as Wavelab will add clicks and pops if you have used any sort of effets or processing and then fix those SBE's with shntool.  the other workaround is to playback and record at the same time.  takes longer, but it is bit-perfect apparantly with no pops and splits automatically at 2GB.  here is what that guy said:

I think I found the easiest workaround that is bit perfect at track splits. I set up effects in the Master section and open a record dialog and set the input to 'playback'. Hit record and then hit play in the Montage window and it renders and splits at 2GB because record has the split function. I'm happier now. =) Takes some time but I can let it run overnight and have everything ready in the morning.

I'd personally go with the markers way and then *hopefully* fix the SBE's(pops and clicks) with SHNtool.

Looks like I should just work in Cubase SX3 though.  Guess I'm going to have to archive all my stuff on my powerbook so i can start working with the hobby recordings in Cubase SX3 as well. 

« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 10:57:45 AM by STL-Taper »

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 11:02:20 AM »
Steve - I started browsing the official Wavelab forum over at Cubase.net.  Apparantly Wavelab has not implemented a split function while rendering large files.  you have to use markers(I know.....you are using them ;) ) here is the workaround with markers.  this is a quote from somebody at that forum:

Anyway, until the 2GB limit will be broken in WL (which is going to happen if I understood PG correctly), or until the split function you want is implemented, maybe the easiest workaround is to render the complete montage in two or three portions by marking parts which will render to less than 2GB (with the boarders set to pauses in the show) and then apply "render marked selection.

However, apparantly you need to make a as few splits as possible as Wavelab will add clicks and pops if you have used any sort of effets or processing and then fix those SBE's with shntool.  the other workaround is to playback and record at the same time.  takes longer, but it is bit-perfect apparantly with no pops and splits automatically at 2GB.  here is what that guy said:

I think I found the easiest workaround that is bit perfect at track splits. I set up effects in the Master section and open a record dialog and set the input to 'playback'. Hit record and then hit play in the Montage window and it renders and splits at 2GB because record has the split function. I'm happier now. =) Takes some time but I can let it run overnight and have everything ready in the morning.

I'd personally go with the markers way and then *hopefully* fix the SBE's(pops and clicks) with SHNtool.

Looks like I should just work in Cubase SX3 though.  Guess I'm going to have to archive all my stuff on my powerbook so i can start working with the hobby recordings in Cubase SX3 as well. 
Great info Brian. Is Cubase SX3 a mac program?
Thanks!
Steve

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 11:07:26 AM »
no problem steve!  I hope that first method works as I'd like to continue to use Wavelab for 4 channels or less projects.

Cubase SX3 is designed by Steinberg and can be used by both PC and Mac's.  Cubase is like Nuendo Jr.  It's basically the same program but with about 70 less features(most of them video anyway).  It's a great program.  I love it so much better than Pro Tools.

Offline fobstl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 11:16:09 AM »
no problem steve!  I hope that first method works as I'd like to continue to use Wavelab for 4 channels or less projects.

Cubase SX3 is designed by Steinberg and can be used by both PC and Mac's.  Cubase is like Nuendo Jr.  It's basically the same program but with about 70 less features(most of them video anyway).  It's a great program.  I love it so much better than Pro Tools.
So Cubase would work for what I am doing better than Wavelab?

Offline Brian

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 11:22:07 AM »
oh yeah!  Cubase is like Pro Tools but even better.  It's a multitrack editing program.  Your computer has to be a tank though for bigger projects.  For the smaller 4 channel stuff any nominal machine would work.

I got my copy at a student discount of $400 dollars.  You can get it for around $600.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com