Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Quick Question about transferring real-time from MD...  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Quick Question about transferring real-time from MD...
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:49:47 PM »
Hi,

I normally transfer using SS, but I've read about it 'trashing' recordings and I don't want to take that risk anymore.

I know how to record from MD to PC with audacity or Cooledit/adobe, etc...

I'm just not sure where to plug my md to... I have on the front of my PC a headphone socket and a Mic input. I have on the back what i believe is a Line-in socket.

Where to plug the MD?? Also do I need a specific soundcard or some specific settings??

1 more thing, Do I lose quality because its analog??

Cheers,
Simon.

P.S. The recording I have is PCM  :)
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Quick Question about transferring real-time from MD...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 09:15:33 PM »
Hi,

I normally transfer using SS, but I've read about it 'trashing' recordings and I don't want to take that risk anymore.

I know how to record from MD to PC with audacity or Cooledit/adobe, etc...

I'm just not sure where to plug my md to... I have on the front of my PC a headphone socket and a Mic input. I have on the back what i believe is a Line-in socket.

Where to plug the MD?? Also do I need a specific soundcard or some specific settings??

1 more thing, Do I lose quality because its analog??

Cheers,
Simon.

P.S. The recording I have is PCM  :)

You will lose quality.  If you must do analog, use a good ADC, like Edirol UA5.  If you're a taper, you've probably got something, right?

I would recommend using the latest SonicStage software.  It is pretty reliable now.  If you are really worried, use SonicStage to *play* the recording on your computer, and some capture program.  I used "TotalRecorder" in the past.  This grabs anything that is playing on the computer and dumps it into a WAV file.  It somehow wedges itself between the OS and your soundcard and grabs the data without any loss.  Good for capturing webcasts and other stuff too.  Cost $12 to register, needed to save files.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 11:08:14 PM »
I have not had the ever-so-awful SS trash a recording on me.  You would go from your headphone socket to line-in on your computer.  The better your sound card the better the result.  You will get a good recording.  There will be losses but nothing glaring.  One test is worth a thousand opinions, so try it.  The upload it, too and then ABX them to find any difference.  ABX testing can be done with foobar2000 (www.foobar2000.org).  Keep in touch.

Cheers    8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:15:50 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I managed to play the recording in SS while recording it in Audacity. I then transferred the recording via USB (SS) and it didnt trash the disc.

I wanted to do an analog transfer just in case I lost the recording.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 04:41:32 PM »
You might want to check at forums.minidisc.org for questions about the MD's.  SS is a real pain in the butt, written in the least efficient and slowest language on the planet, but 4.2 is actually pretty good.  It can be downloaded from forums.minidisc.org, also.  Good luck and keep us posted.     8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com