Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any difference with recording quality between decks ?  (Read 2840 times)

Offline in2blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Any difference with recording quality between decks ?
« on: June 24, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
I have two Sony recorders (D50 & M-10). I recently picked up a Zoom H2 as a back up to bring to places I didn't want to bring either Sony. If I'm using external Church Ca-11 cards and battery box will the recording from the Zoom be any less quality then the Sony decks? They are all digital recorders so besides internal mics and some functions is there a difference between decks recording quality? Thanks for any input

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Any difference with recording quality between decks ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 09:51:02 AM »
I'm sure there's some measurable difference, but whether that will be audible depends on a lot of factors including what you'll be recording.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 02:41:27 PM »
I have two Sony recorders (D50 & M-10). I recently picked up a Zoom H2 as a back up to bring to places I didn't want to bring either Sony. If I'm using external Church Ca-11 cards and battery box will the recording from the Zoom be any less quality then the Sony decks? They are all digital recorders so besides internal mics and some functions is there a difference between decks recording quality? Thanks for any input
Zoom H2 can't handle a hot line in signal. (maximum 0.775v) The Sony M10 and D50 can. I know the M10 can handle 2.0 volts at the line in.

I seem to recall that when I had the H2, the record level had to be left at 100, and the input signal controlled to get the right levels. Any other level setting was the equivalent of "digital zoom" and does not give an advantage with respect to noise or signal handling.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline in2blues

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. If I'm getting this right seems that with mics and Battery Box may not be much of a difference but if using board patch use a Sony.

Offline mandodon

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
The mic in on my Zoom H2 has more noise/hiss than the mic in on my Tascam DR100 mk3. You should plug in your mics/battery box and test it. It was noticeable on quiet sources--at a loud show it may not matter that much.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com