Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: powering a Denecke AD20  (Read 4262 times)

Offline walterneff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
powering a Denecke AD20
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:24:42 PM »
Hi,
I've been using a Denecke AD20 for a while now and would like a better powering solution to remove the hassle of switching over 9v batteries during sets and repeatedly checking the power light - always stealth situations.
I believe its possible to use a 9v RC car battery to run the AD20 for a much longer time. Can anyone advise on what parts would be required to make up a cable to connect one of these batteries, and potential pitfalls to be avoided.
Alternatively if anyone would be interested in making a cable I'd happily pay to avoid me making a mess of it and killing my AD20.
Thanks,
Michael

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: powering a Denecke AD20
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
Michael,

External power can be supplied through the mini jack in the battery compartment (anything from 6 volts to 24 volts, positive tip). I think it is a Mini Phone Jack (like iPod Headphone but mono). I'll check when I get home.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 01:47:30 PM »
One pitfall to be aware of is always plug the cable into the AD20 first, then into the battery cause if the cable is plugged into the battery when you insert the other end into the AD20 the low battery light will be on permanently. Doesn't affect the performance of the AD20 but with the light on all the time it is annoying , as well as not knowing when you actually are about to deplete the battery's charge.

Offline walterneff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:33:31 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can get someone to make up a cable as I'd probably do something wrong.
M.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 12:21:55 PM »
The outboard powering on those Denecke boxes is perplexing.
It is indeed an 1/8" mono plug that supplies outboard power. Tip positive.
So, the act of connecting an outboard battery to it will always short the battery briefly.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 03:01:00 AM »
I had  made a 12v SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) Set up that would power both my PS-2 and the AD20 (heavy to haul around) as when I contacted Denecke - I believe that they stated they would run on any thing between 7 + volts DC and 18VDC- but lower than  6VDC the units would degrad and sound horrible.

you could easily get a 9V DVD battery and make the set up with a 1/8" TS as mentioned above.

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:03:33 PM »
I've used DVD batteries and RC car batteries.  Either will run for a long time. 

Last year I used 2 RC car batteries to run a PS2/AD20 combo at the side stage of a weekend festival... checked them with a volt meter before starting and the "9.6V" battery said something like 10.4.  I started it running at noon, let it run all day and all night... there was a show which ran like midnight - 4am... I hit record at midnight and went to bed, letting the rig run overnight.  When I came back in the morning, the voltmeter... it wasn't even down to 9.6v yet.  Somewhere along the way I did swap the batteries with each other... in other words moved the AD20 battery to the PS-2 and vice versa... I think the PS-2 uses more than the AD-20.  But the point is that you can easily get 24 hours use from a RC car battery, maybe 2 or 3 days, I'm not sure.

Making up a cable isn't rocket science... buy 2 RC car batteries at walmart, comes with 2 chargers.  Each battery and charger has a white connector on it.  Use the connector and 6 or 12" of cable off one of the chargers, wire that connector up to a 1/8" mono-miniplug from radio shack.  Red wire goes to the middle.  Like everyone else has said, plug the mini-jack into the AD20 first.  Might as well tape it in place and forget about it.  Then connect the white connectors.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline walterneff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 01:53:42 PM »
Thanks again guys.
No walmart here in Scotland, but should be able to track down a couple of r/c batteries. Tried maplins here for the mono plug but poor quality, so I think I'll need to get them online.
M.

Offline odmen01

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:11:47 PM »
Customized battery might help!! :D

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 01:08:18 PM »
Recent festival story.... I had an 9.6V R/C car battery running a Denecke PS-2:
- I ran some AT853's with phantom adapters for a full day, probably 8 hours.
- I ran that same PS2 with that same battery with ADK A51 mics in the "late night cabin".  I started the rig and went to bed.  I came back 24 hours later, and the phantom power was still holding.

So that's 32 hours (and still going strong) on a PS-2 with an RC car battery.   And I think the AD20 uses less juice than that, so it should run at least as long.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com