Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8  (Read 127532 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Zoom F8
« Reply #315 on: September 22, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »
^  You're welcome Ricola.  I'm amazed that you know Poogie Bell.  He's from here in Pittsburgh. 

OK, you're on the right track with the links you provided.  The only problem is that there's no indication whether or not the connector at the opposite end of the hirose connector on that cable would fit properly into the RAV Power battery.  The size of that connector isn't provided in the specs of the battery, though the size of the cable connector appears to be 2.1mm.  It would be awful to order both products only to discover that the cable doesn't fit the battery properly. 

I have a TON of Tekkeon 3300 and I love them.  These batteries include a cable that connects with a special connector into the battery.  The other end is a generic adaptaplug connector.  The package includes maybe ten or so standard size power connectors that all plug into the adaptaplug.  I happily found out that one of these standard connectors fits perfectly into the 12V socket on the back of the F8.  Since these adaptplugs are all right angle, they fit just perfectly in the bottom of my gear bag.  On mine, the connector is very solidly seated in the socket, so I have no concern with the connector coming out of the socket, especially since when I put the F8 in my bag, it's resting on top of the right angle of the connector which serves to keep it in place.  So, I'm perfectly happy powering my F8 with this method.  I don't think I'm even going to bother with having a cable made to connect my Tekkeons with a hirose connector, since when I'm in the field I already have redundant powering between the back connector and the AA battery tray.

If you look in US ebay, there are some Tekkeon 3300's listed FOR CHEAP!  The reason they're cheap is even though they're unused batteries in new packaging, they are fairly old from a shelf life perspective.  So, these batteries are at least a few years old and probably even older.  Some people on taperssection bought these batteries and they arrived dead.  However, for what I paid I've had good luck with them.  I've got 23 of them!!  Of the 23 that I bought well over a year ago, all 23 worked fine when I got them and one has died since I got it.  Four out of the 23 don't give me full capacity so I think they're on their way out...I'll refurbish them when that happens. 

One of the full capacity Tekkeon 3300 batteries powers my Zoom F8 for about 9 or 10 hours if I'm recording to two channels, with 24V phantom turned on (my mics use 12V phantom, not 48V), with none of the output channels turned on, and with the unit powering a pair of ATH-M50 headphones the whole time.

So, I think if I was you, I'd consider buying some of these Tekkeons and using the 12v connector on the back instead of the hirose.  MUCH cheaper option even after paying overseas shipping of the battery.  Since they're so cheap, perhaps you should buy...say four of them.  That way if any of them arrive dead, it's no big deal...at least in comparison to paying 90Euro's for the RAV power battery.  (For what it's worth, I refurbish batteries, so if any of mine go dead, I'll simply crack it open and replace the cells inside.)

If you'd like, buy your batteries and have them sent to me and I'll test them for you.  I'll remove them from the packaging and send the good batteries (and all of the accessories) to you in Germany.  If there are any bad batteries, you can decide what to do with those.  Without the packaging the box would be much smaller and less expensive to ship.  Just a thought...consider it an option.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:55:26 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #316 on: September 23, 2015, 07:25:36 AM »
^ Steve, is Poogie Bell open taping?  Do you happen to have a contact e-mail?  He is playing at one of my favorite venues in Rotterdam in December.  I also see a date scheduled in Amsterdam, but no tour itinerary is listed on his website, so I am curious where else he will do shows...

[Sorry for the off-topic post.]

stevetoney

« Reply #317 on: September 23, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »
^ Steve, is Poogie Bell open taping?  Do you happen to have a contact e-mail?  He is playing at one of my favorite venues in Rotterdam in December.  I also see a date scheduled in Amsterdam, but no tour itinerary is listed on his website, so I am curious where else he will do shows...

[Sorry for the off-topic post.]

Actually, as far as I know he's not, sorry to say.  My homies make up Jazzam and I've recorded them numerous times over the years.  Glenn, the guitar player, is now a regular in Poogie's band (not sure if Glenn in traveling over there with him though) so it was only natural for Poogie to sit in with this bunch since it was a one-time deal.  Glenn's told me in the past that Poogie is very anti-taper.

In fact, I was setting up before this particular show and everyone in the band was very excited to see me come in and set up since it was such a rare Jazzam event, so in a down moment I introduced myself to Poogie, tried to strike up a conversation by explaining that Marc and Glenn love being recorded, etc.  He politely shook my hand and turned away without saying anything.  I might be over-reading or misinterpreting that encounter, but he certainly didn't seem overly happy to see me setting up, even if it wasn't his gig...not that I expect people to jump for joy that I'm taping them.  LOL.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:58:54 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #318 on: September 23, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
Thanks.  That's too bad, but I think I will still try to catch the show.  That dude crushes shit...

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #319 on: September 26, 2015, 02:15:08 PM »
Can anyone think of a reason not to use the 12 DC input with a 12v battery?  or would the hirose connector be the one to favor?
Just wondering because it seems like it might be simpler to run a 12v LiIon into the  place were the AC > !2v DC power plug would go, like we do in other decks like the DR-680 or HDP2.
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #320 on: September 27, 2015, 12:41:33 AM »
The first true test of the F8 preamps in my book has just been uploaded.  Take a listen:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=174843.0
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #321 on: September 28, 2015, 09:44:56 AM »
As an owner of the F8 as well as a few Sound Devices products, I have been using the 4pin Hirose 12v power for some time with the SD product and it works just the same for the Zoom F8, as you can use the Hirose Power Cup and a XLNPH NP Type Battery. 

You can make your own as a inexpensive solution or have someone here on taperssection make one or even expedite if the need is now for overnight delivery from places such as B&H or Adorama ($89) ?  It's an investment for those that may not have any of this, but I had been using these NP1 NP-1 Style NiCd batteries for some time re. to video power.  Having a few of these and then investing in the power cup for the SD, it was a no cost switch for me from the SD to the F8 using this outboard power.

I am sure other 12v Battery soultions will work as well with the 4 pin Hisrose connection.  I only used one type 12v (NP1 NP-1 Style NiCd) from what I already had.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:49:01 AM by 404 Not Found »
Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline bdasilva

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Use to be a Fishhead
« Reply #322 on: October 10, 2015, 07:50:29 AM »
So... Where are we?  NOTHING posted for three weeks....?    Personally i'm lovin mine.
Cad E300S set.. AT822  AKG C 414 B-XLS/ST  
Dorsey-Mod MK-012 w/ O, C, H and RED L/D Caps
Superlux S502 ORTF   LSD2
Silverpath  Cables> 
Tascam DR-680MKii    DR- 680 (X2)   Tascam DR-40     Sound Devices USBPre    SONY  PMD-M10   Zoom F8

"Buy a Taper a Drink... Prime the Pumps of live Music"

On the "music" side of the "Music Business"

stevetoney

« Reply #323 on: October 10, 2015, 09:41:49 AM »
So... Where are we?  NOTHING posted for three weeks....?    Personally i'm lovin mine.

Used mine a couple more times and it was rock solid.  Accepted everything i threw at it including different size and speed sd cards.  Preamps sound great too... Maybe not quite as great as my psp3 but afaic the psp3 is one of the best sounding mobile stand alone preamps ever.  I absolutely love this Zoom F8.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #324 on: October 10, 2015, 10:11:05 AM »

Used mine a couple more times and it was rock solid.  Accepted everything i threw at it including different size and speed sd cards.  Preamps sound great too... Maybe not quite as great as my psp3 but afaic the psp3 is one of the best sounding mobile stand alone preamps ever.  I absolutely love this Zoom F8.

ZOOMIE!  :P

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #325 on: October 10, 2015, 11:04:08 AM »
I'm still waiting for mine to come in which reminds me that I need to check the status.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #326 on: October 12, 2015, 01:09:59 PM »
I'm on Pro Sound's wait list... can't believe I'm about to be a Zoomie but hey, the times are changin'...

I could've used that BT level monitoring twice this week, too.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #327 on: October 12, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
I used mine the other night for a jazz guitar and piano duo. It sounds fantastic. Clean and detailed, no need for external pre amps.

stevetoney

« Reply #328 on: October 12, 2015, 02:24:26 PM »
I'm on Pro Sound's wait list... can't believe I'm about to be a Zoomie but hey, the times are changin'...

I wondered if you'd gotten it yet.  Yeah, I hear you about the mental hurdle of actually buying a Zoom product, but seriously that whole thought process goes away almost immediately after you get your hands on it and fire it up.  If nothing else, all those pretty lights it makes are so much fun to watch in the dark!   

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #329 on: October 12, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »

I wondered if you'd gotten it yet.  Yeah, I hear you about the mental hurdle of actually buying a Zoom product, but seriously that whole thought process goes away almost immediately after you get your hands on it and fire it up.  If nothing else, all those pretty lights it makes are so much fun to watch in the dark!

Yeah -- I emailed Justin at Pro Sound right after going through your PMs about it. It just seems like the right fit as long as it works. I'd love to have a Sonosax/Aeta/SD machine, but SD doesn't really make something current-generation that does what I want it to do, and the there's also the cost. I can buy Aeta and Sonosax pres in the YS and still save $$$ over their units.... :)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com