Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Sound Devices 7 Series Recorders  (Read 5937 times)

Offline mhibbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
Re: New Sound Devices 7 Series Recorders
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 11:49:35 PM »
Why would anyone choose the 702 over the 722? The price difference will be made up with the CF cards you'd have to buy.

Really for people who already have CF and do not want to keep/achieve the recordings in the recorder. I might get the 702 over the 722 because I already have CF cards already and also got a habit of backing up my recordings at the end of the concert at home on an external HD/computer. Also, 702 is lighter I guess without the HD, which is better for field work. You might be able to save battery power too without the HD. Also might not heat up as much without the internal HD. As you know HD is not guarantee for life so if you do not back up your recordings at home you might end up loosing all your work if the HD breaks down. So many reasons...incl it is cheaper, too. One thing I do not understand is why they want to make it the same size as the 722 if there is no HD inside. Obviously they can make it smaller (without the HD) but they didn't.

They'd have to re-engineer the entire box to make it any smaller.  If you open one up, you'd be actually shocked at how much shit they crammed into that tiny of a box (which is wicked hard to put back together btw).  To me, having the option to use the internal hdd or use cf justifies the price diff of the 722.  The weight of that little hdd is irrelevant.  Also, if I remember correctly, the 722 parks the drive head to keep from damaging the disc when in CF only mode.  Which means the hdd isn't spinning, which means there's no heat issue (or it's greatly minimized).  Same thing w/ the battery...if it's not spinning the hdd, there's probably little to no difference.  At 24/192, there's not much archiving possible on the disc anyway.  2gb every 30min gets expensive if you're running cf as well.

Just my take on the deal...

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 12:08:35 AM »
#
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 11:15:22 AM by fozzy »
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 03:36:32 PM »
Now, marketing is about getting peoples attention. They sure managed this time, a lot of discussion on this forum on the relative merits of units on the high scale of nice.

Bet that this discussion has sold more units to tapers than the sum of all ads over the last year. Go figure.

Gunnar

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com