Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3 way speakers v. 2 way with a sub  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
3 way speakers v. 2 way with a sub
« on: March 22, 2005, 01:48:23 PM »
So as I plot my next move (speaker upgrade) I started thinking about the types of music I listen to and what qualities I want in a speaker. In my current setup I run an active sub with my B&W 602.5's, the sub has a crossover on it as well as a volume knob. Given the  fact that some of the tapes I listen to are boomy having the ability to turn the sub volumes up or down, or even off is very helpful. If I move to a 3 way speaker I'm worried that the boomy tapes in my collection will be unlistenable. So perhaps I should stick with 2 way mains and get a stereo pair of subs?

Any thoughts?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
Re: 3 way speakers v. 2 way with a sub
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 02:39:04 PM »
Do you have a means of EQ in the system? I'm a minimalist, so I'd rather have 2 full-range speakers than 2 "bookshelf" + sub. I think the only way I'd add a sub in a music (not HT) system is if I had 2 full-range speakers that had some bass extension issues and I was pretty much set with the placement in the room.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 03:23:11 PM »
This is a conundrum with "taper music," especially my own as my rig tends to get a little flabby in certain venues that I frequent.  My ProAc D25's aren't as full-range as some, but I go strongly down to ~30Hz and this can cause issues with a few of my tapes. 

I am of the "purist" mindset, too, and honestly I like full-range speakers much better than monitor w/sub.  So I stick to that tack.  But sometimes, I do wish for that bass contour/attentuation control...  I seriously considered McIntosh for my pre because of it!

No real advice, I just feel your pain. 

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 03:35:10 PM »
Do you have a means of EQ in the system? I'm a minimalist, so I'd rather have 2 full-range speakers than 2 "bookshelf" + sub. I think the only way I'd add a sub in a music (not HT) system is if I had 2 full-range speakers that had some bass extension issues and I was pretty much set with the placement in the room.

I do not have any EQ means other than what is on the sub...

that is what has me wondering if giving up that flexibility is the "right" decision

Ducati - thanks for your thoughts... glad to know I'm not alone :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 03:56:42 PM »
Yup....tapers do a fine job of recording what they listen to....which can mean some boomy bass.  The bass is a bit much on some stuff I recorded with the TLs. :P ;D  Better to have to tame it than have none at all I guess.

I'm guessing ya run some kinda fancy-schmancy pre/amp combo with no treble/bass adjustment.  If so I think the 2 subs ( with volume & crossover control)  is the way to go with your 602.5s.  Being able to control the treble/bass is an invaluable tool for me listening to all the live recordings that I do....I can't imagine not having that ability.  Maybe a pair of full range speakers and a decent eq?

Tough question Tim......

« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 03:58:21 PM by BCostigan »
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 04:02:20 PM »
you are correct Brian, my NAD had a tone control but my integrated ASL does not...

fwiw - Phil Lucks thinks I should stick with the 2way/sub combo...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 04:42:32 PM »
I'm gettin a sub to get there too.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 04:43:05 PM »
just go with some vr4jr's and kwitcherbitchin

Offline Tim

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 06:30:37 PM »
just go with some vr4jr's and kwitcherbitchin

yeah, I've got plenty of room for those :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com