Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD Card Speed for 8 tracks?  (Read 2682 times)

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
SD Card Speed for 8 tracks?
« on: August 27, 2019, 11:28:42 PM »
I plan to record 8 tracks to my Roland R-88,  all 8 will be WAV at 48k/24 bit.

Would I require a SD card that has a higher write speed because of writing to so many tracks? Or will a regular class 10 SD card do the trick?

I have a choice of buying one of these 2 cards below, one is much faster and expensive, the other one is cheaper but unsure if I will need all that speed for recording 8 tracks.

1) https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1282971-REG/sandisk_sdsdxxg_032g_gn4in_extremepro_sdhc_32gb.html
2) https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275618-REG/sandisk_sdsdxpk_032g_ancin_extreme_pro_uhs_ii_32gb.html

Which of the cards would be better fit? Would it also matter if i were to ever record at a higher rate like 96k?

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
Re: SD Card Speed for 8 tracks?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 11:48:52 PM »
http://www.sustainableheritagenetwork.org/system/files/atoms/file/04_Estimating-Storage-Required-For-Audio.pdf

has some of the math  if you have a comparable card I'd just do some home tests.  try running at different bit rates and such and see file sizes and if there are any buffer under run type issues.  Your deck might have some sort of buffer as well between the card and the recorder.  just RTFM and see if there is such a thing. 

hope that was helpful.   not that Im an expert but the 90megs a second write speed seems ample but Ive only ran 4 tracks @ 24 48
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 01:57:00 AM »
class 10 guarantees 10 mb/sec sustained write. more importantly "U3" guarantees 30 mb/sec. most test at 40 or above.

the 90 mb/sec and 300 mb/sec rating on the card is largely meaningless

the second card is "UHSII" which has extra pins your recorder cant use so you'll never see the higher speeds

8 channels at 24/48 is only about 2.4 mb/sec, so any "U3" card should be fine

but, as suggested, test it at home. good practice to take any new card and write it front to back with h2testw to make sure it is a real card with full capacity and acceptable speed
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:23:12 AM »
I borrowed an R-88 for a few months last year and had no problems using any of my 32GB SDHD cards in it, recording 8 channels @ 24/48. 

The cards are mostly inexpensive Kingston and Transcends I use regularly in R-44, DR-680, DR2d, F8.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com