Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Right-angle recs  (Read 2808 times)

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Right-angle recs
« on: December 10, 2003, 02:39:55 PM »
For those of you who have or have used right-angle XLR's on your mic cables, would you recommend getting them on both the male AND female ends, or just on one end? I'm looking to take a little stress off the connections in the back of my V2 - I run it vertically in my bag and currently have it propped up on dividers, but the cables still bend awfully quickly to get them up and away from the bottom of the bag.

But I'm more curious about the connections on the mic end of things - I saw my first set in the field earlier this year and wonder if it puts too much torque on the mics, i.e. pointing them up slightly in the shock mounts. I use velcro strips to secure the cables as close as possible to the top of my stand, but even so I'm wondering what folks think - right-angle or straight-end on the female connectors? Thanks!

--Dave
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 02:43:04 PM by greenone »
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re:Right-angle recs
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 03:07:04 PM »
For those of you who have or have used right-angle XLR's on your mic cables, would you recommend getting them on both the male AND female ends, or just on one end? I'm looking to take a little stress off the connections in the back of my V2 - I run it vertically in my bag and currently have it propped up on dividers, but the cables still bend awfully quickly to get them up and away from the bottom of the bag.

But I'm more curious about the connections on the mic end of things - I saw my first set in the field earlier this year and wonder if it puts too much torque on the mics, i.e. pointing them up slightly in the shock mounts. I use velcro strips to secure the cables as close as possible to the top of my stand, but even so I'm wondering what folks think - right-angle or straight-end on the female connectors? Thanks!

--Dave

I just made new cables for my AD-1000 last night. I used the Neutrik right angles on the pre-amp side and left the mic side with straight connectors. Definately go with the Neutriks rather than Switchcraft. The Neutriks have a superior cable clamping system. They also allow you to choose several positions for the angle the connector sits in for the pre-amp side. This was quite beneficial for my AD-1000 application.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 03:28:41 PM »
Cool Chuck, thanks. I'm definitely going with Neutriks for the pre-amp side, no question. Why did you choose to go straight connectors on the mic side? If you've got LD's and/or other side address mics that you can run vertically I can understand using straight connectors, but in other cases, why one over the other?
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 03:30:44 PM »
RA on the micside can get in the way when clamping
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Chuck

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 03:40:32 PM »
Cool Chuck, thanks. I'm definitely going with Neutriks for the pre-amp side, no question. Why did you choose to go straight connectors on the mic side? If you've got LD's and/or other side address mics that you can run vertically I can understand using straight connectors, but in other cases, why one over the other?

For one thing, I had them laying around so I didn't have to spend extra $$$. :)
But I did think it through and felt it would be awkward up there with right angles attached to my microphones. Which are Oktava's and MBHO's SD's. I know lots of guys, that like them on the microphone side though. When I used to do live sound I liked using right angles to mic the toms for drums. In that application it made working in somtimes tight situations easier. I'm sure someone will chime in with a good reason to go with the RA on both ends of the cable. I guess if your mics are long, the tails could bumb in some mic configs, but that can be fixed with a spacer. I'm interested to hear what other reasons there may be.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 04:35:44 PM »
I actually like the right angles on the mic end for my C1000s.  Of course, they're large enough (and then some) that the straight cables stick way out.  The right angles point them right at the stand -- really nice.

For what it's worth, though, I also carry a set of standard cables for my 012's as the mics are so small that the right angles get in the way of the AT shockmounts.

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline Chuck

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 04:40:11 PM »

For what it's worth, though, I also carry a set of standard cables for my 012's as the mics are so small that the right angles get in the way of the AT shockmounts.

Chuck

That's what I have found with my MC012's.
I think the straight XLR's give you more options.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com