Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Splitting the signal...  (Read 1158 times)

Offline greppson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Splitting the signal...
« on: July 25, 2006, 09:35:37 PM »
Some of you may have seen my other thread about my bass problems that apparently I am just over paranoid about. I was thinking of running a splitter in my chain this weekend at a show to see what the different would be. And also so I can truly see how a ua-5 affects my tape.

Would run something like this:

SP-CMC2As > Batt Box w/ 95 Hz rolloff > Splitter > A and B (see below)

A = > JB3
B = > w+ mod UA-5 > JB3 (SVU-2)

Can I split a signal here and run it to the 2 recorders?

It may seem a waste to some, but for me, it's a good test of my system, let's me see what the differences are, and really see if I've got some bass issues going on.
Jason
AKG 480 ck61/63 > nBob actives > Marantz ACM 671/Sound Devices MixPre 6 ii

Archive.org Shows
www.greppson.net

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Splitting the signal...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 10:00:20 PM »
Why do it the first time at a show?  Just hook the stuff up in your own home, crank the stereo and record.

If you are running a passive splitter, then the input impedances of the two recorders will both load the mic signal.  The same waveform will appear at the input to both recorders, but the waveform will have been loaded by the parallel combination of both input impedances.  So, if your problem is related to loading of the signal, both will see the same thing and you won't know which of them loaded the signal or whether it was the combination of both of them. (I doubt that either will significantly load the signal and if it does it will be in the form of moving the bass rolloff corner frequency to a higher frequency.)
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com