Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mixing/mastering on Headphones Question  (Read 4283 times)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Mixing/mastering on Headphones Question
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »
Yes, I realize mixing and mastering can be problematic on headphones, especially in terms of low-end that you hear but don't feel, and possible imaging problems.

But, at least some of the time, I need to rely on my Grado RS1's, running straight off of the headphone amp in my Mytek Stereo 96 DAC.

Can I get a hardware unit that mixes the left and right channels a little, so they mimmic the experience of listening to speakers, at least in terms of imaging?

My only experience with this is when listening to my Sansa Fuse mp3 player, Rockboxed, it has an option to do this, plus roll off the highs a little of the cross-fed material.  The difference between having this feature on versus off, even through $6 earbuds, is surprisingly good!  Things panned hard left or right, go from where your ears are, to seeming to be just in front of your ears.  That, to me at least, is an important difference and improvement. 

If such a magic box exists, I'd be willing to spend a few hundred on it.

I'm more interested in a hardware solution, since any plug-in will require some CPU horsepower, although I could investigate any plug-in options that integrate into my DAW as well.

thanks for any suggestions.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Mixing/mastering on Headphones Question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:33:27 PM »
I know that the Grace Design m902 headphone amp does what you are looking for.  and it'll match wonderfully with your Grado headphones (Michael Grace designed it with his Grado's in mind)...  but it'll cost you more than a few hundred.

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m902/m902.htm
The m902 includes a crossfeed circuit, or XFeed, which simulates the natural acoustics of a loudspeaker listening environment and HRTF (Head Related Transfer Functions). This circuitry, designed by Dr. Jan Meier, can significantly improve imaging, while reducing listening fatigue when using headphones.

I'd guess that there are other headphone amps that have similar features, but I'm just not sure which ones.

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 04:57:34 AM »
thanks for that link! After doing lots of googling, it turns out the Headroom amps have this feature as well, although I guess it depends how each manufacturer inplements it ... where they put the HF role-off, how much signal is cross-fed, etc.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:02 AM »
Grace implemented Jan Meier's crossfeed circuit into the 902. he provides a DIY filter here: <http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/>.

I still think that you ought to have some sort of speaker with which to check your mixes. Crossfeed is subtle, and has more to do with long term listening comfort. Since you have a great dac with balanced xlr outputs and a volume control, why not buy a pair of powered monitors?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BM5Amk2/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR8/
http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/RP6G2-p-23207.html
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/333021.html

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:19:42 AM »
thats a good price for the KRK's, but the Adam Audios' look tempting with the ribbon tweeter.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 10:40:59 PM »
You might also be able to find deals on a stereo hifi amp and a pair of "bookshelf" speakers on Audiogon.com. Do EQ & dynamics work on the cans, but your attempt to build a coherent soundstage has to be done on speakers. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 11:17:01 PM »
why not buy a pair of powered monitors?

Residential issues is my problem, I live in an apt and I don't have a great place to put speakers where I won't bother either the neighbors or others in the apt.

Do EQ & dynamics work on the cans, but your attempt to build a coherent soundstage has to be done on speakers. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

I agree with this completely, soundstage almost has to be done on a set of open air speakers, but EQ and dynamic work can be done on headphones with a decent degree of success.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 01:20:28 PM »
My Headroom Total Bithead amp has a crossfeed switch that mixes a little into each side and gives you a pretty centered experience.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 01:32:26 PM »
yes, for you thats cool, but is that what your tapes sound like played else where?   I bet not.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 02:00:06 PM »
yes, for you thats cool, but is that what your tapes sound like played else where?   I bet not.

no.  But I don't master with that - I was just letting jmz know the answer to what he asked.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 02:08:06 PM »
sorry, just going with your post and the thread title... :-X

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 04:11:55 PM »
Here's one of the better software headphone crossfeed plugin I've found (free VST download), it's effect is subtle- http://refinedaudiometrics.com/products-hdphx.shtml

The true magic box really does exist.  I've heard it setup with a custom calibration, by runing through a test procedure in the room to be emulated, measured by placing mics in my ears and looking directly at each speaker in turn as a convolution test signal swooped each speaker in the sytem and recorded my personal ear respose.  Made headphone listening absolutely indistinguishable from listening to the speaker setup in the room where it was measured.  Once you measure a room+system you can take it with you and switch between them.  Somewhat over your budget at $3360, but that includes the required Stax headphones plus amp along with the magic box- http://www.smyth-research.com/products.html
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com