Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)  (Read 131754 times)

Offline thebigredone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM-A10 (Part 2)
« Reply #645 on: March 26, 2024, 04:14:02 AM »
using the internal mics, record level of 6 with limiter on will be as good as it gets, in my experience.
Have not really tried without the limiter...

At a loud gig I couldn't get past 1 without it clipping. Now using externals and a BB.

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #646 on: March 27, 2024, 11:15:09 PM »
So I did some extensive reading on the A10 before buying one recently, but one thing I never found a clear answer on was the cause of the channel failures.
I saw a bunch of people theorise that it was 12V battery boxes killing the input - was that ever confirmed? For people who did have an A10 die, can you comment if you were using 9V or 12V BB's.

I've currently got a 12V BB but if it's going to kill my A10, I'll make a 9V version if it's going to be safer.
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-CMC-2 (Cardioid & Sub-Cardioid caps)
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #647 on: March 28, 2024, 01:51:47 AM »
You should have a DC blocking cap at the battery box output for each channel. Might want to start there - see if you get a DC reading with mics plugged in.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #648 on: March 28, 2024, 03:53:05 AM »
Also, I wouldn't rule out a mechanical problem, e.g. bad solder joints on the A10's inputs. That is the most common cause for channel failures in any audio gear. And since the A10 can supply a microphone bias voltage, I would expect it to have DC blocking capacitors in front of its amps to protect them from its own bias voltage. Of course if these caps are only rated up to a certain voltage (e.g. 6V) that would be insufficient. But these are all assumptions. I have never opened mine and I've never had these kinds of problems myself.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 03:55:13 AM by Sebastian »

Offline shadowfax1007

• Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
« Reply #649 on: March 29, 2024, 02:16:40 AM »
You should have a DC blocking cap at the battery box output for each channel. Might want to start there - see if you get a DC reading with mics plugged in.

So just to ensure I'm understanding you correctly:
1) Plug in microphones into battery box input
2) Use a multimeter at the battery box output and test for DC voltage? If so, where am I putting the positive and negative probes?

I'm using a SP-SPSB-10 from the Sound Professionals, so hopefully there is DC blocking.
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-CMC-2 (Cardioid & Sub-Cardioid caps)
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #650 on: March 29, 2024, 06:58:50 AM »
So I did some extensive reading on the A10 before buying one recently, but one thing I never found a clear answer on was the cause of the channel failures.
I saw a bunch of people theorise that it was 12V battery boxes killing the input - was that ever confirmed? For people who did have an A10 die, can you comment if you were using 9V or 12V BB's.

I've currently got a 12V BB but if it's going to kill my A10, I'll make a 9V version if it's going to be safer.

Well that sucks.  I was in the process of building a small 12v box but maybe I'll switch it over to a 9v using an A29 battery.   
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #651 on: March 29, 2024, 08:19:39 AM »

So just to ensure I'm understanding you correctly:
1) Plug in microphones into battery box input
2) Use a multimeter at the battery box output and test for DC voltage? If so, where am I putting the positive and negative probes?

I'm using a SP-SPSB-10 from the Sound Professionals, so hopefully there is DC blocking.

Yes, plug mics in and set your meter to DC volts. With the battery box output plug, put black probe on ground (should be furthest from the tip) and check the ring and tip for dc voltage. You should not see anything but if you get a mV or two it’s not a big deal.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com