Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Compare Cambridge and NAD ampli's + speakers-advice  (Read 2707 times)

Offline Filharmoniker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Compare Cambridge and NAD ampli's + speakers-advice
« on: March 04, 2007, 07:36:27 AM »
Hello,
I posted a few questions concerning amp's and speakers some time ago. Wise man (Nick's Picks, Shane thx...) 8) adviced to do some shopping and listening first. Well: they were right: I found better stuff for the same budget.

First setup:

Ampli: Cambridge 540A  with 2X60W @400EUR
with speakers:B&W 602 versie s3 These are 100W RMS bookshelfs (very big though) @ 450EUR
I really liked this setup. Is it a concern that the size was smaller than a floorstander and that it were only 2 way speakers? Quality was just fine for me...

Second setup:

Ampli: NAD C320 BEE  (special offer) with 2X50W @ 290EUR
with speakers: Triangle Heliade with 100W (is this the RMS equivalent??). These were floor standers but really big things. @ 800EUR

The triangle speakers were in my opinion somewhat better but I wasn't an amazing difference. Of course there was much more bass... But I don't know if this is so important for me. I mainly listen to classical music. Bas should be good but not very loud. I remarked a more clear sound than the B&W (not so mixed up in 'tutti-orchestra'). What I really didn't liked at all though with the Triangle Heliade was that the sound was sometimes sharp, especially higher tones (violin solo eg.) And of course, the take so much place in my small appartment.

They adviced me also to check the triangle speakers with the cambridge. Is this worth doing it?

Have any of you common experience with these Triangle Helian speakers vs B&W?
I see B&W as a very good quality/price/ bulk size ratio? Is that trough? Is it worth listening to bigger B&W's? Floorstanders maybe, not more expensive than 800EUR?

Thx!

cshepherd

Re: Compare Cambridge and NAD ampli's + speakers-advice
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 12:16:47 PM »
Classical is hard to get right, even with expensive hi-fi systems.  If that's mainly what you listen to, go with the system that has the least amount of brightness in it.

Best of Luck,
Chris

Offline Filharmoniker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 12:26:39 PM »
Thx Chris!
What dou you mean with 'brightness': is it the 'echo' like in big concert halls... Why should I chose the least amount of brightness? I don't understand... ::)
Indeed, I mainly listen to classical music.

cshepherd

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »
Brightness refers to treble frequencies (higher tones as you put it) that are over emphasized and out of balance with the midrange and bass frequencies.  Most classical cd's are bright to begin with.  If that's mainly what you listen to, you need an amp and speakers that will not add to your problems of sharp sounds in the higher tones.  Your description of the NAD / Triangle system is what I would refer to as bright.

If you mainly listen to classical, the best advice I can give you is to buy a turntable.  Classical music on vinyl has a much better presentation than on cd.  I would also recommend finding a Rega dealer.  Their entry level system with a P1 turntable is around 1150 - 1200 euros.  We consider Rega to be better than Cambridge and better than NAD.  If you live in a small apartment, you'll need smaller speakers.  Rega's R1 stand mounts (monitors) are designed to play close to the wall so they don't take up very much floor space.  When you live in a small space (like I do), it's important for the system to blend into the room and not be in the way.

Chris

Offline Filharmoniker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 02:41:24 PM »
Thx Chris,
Vinyl is not an option for me... ::) I began collecting CD's as a boy around 1995 (and never started with vinyl).
Your remark about size of the speakers is VERY interesting though. My appartment has two rooms: if I place it in one room (around 15m²) I indeed should go for speakers that aren't too big. I will remeber the Rega speakers and amps. I hope I will find someone in Belgium to check them out.

cshepherd

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 03:12:11 PM »
It is totally possible to have both a turntable and cd player.  Not everything is available on vinyl and we all have cd collections that are important to us.  Here in the states, you can buy great classical records in mint condition for $1 and $2.  You should check your record stores for used classical records.  You might be surprised at what's available to you.  My classical and opera collection has grown dramatically since I got back into vinyl last year.  For classical listening on an entry-level system, I can't recommend a turntable strongly enough. 

In addition to Rega, look for Clearaudio or Thorens turntables as well.  It would be a good idea to ask the shop for a demonstration showing the differences between a decent turntable and a decent cd player.

Chris

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 07:19:36 AM »
forget about vinyl for now...just get the system setup first.
one bite at a time.
:-)

I really like the sound of the Cambridge amps.  very respectable for the $$.

Offline Filharmoniker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 01:09:33 PM »
thx guys I'll return to the shop :)
(MY PC screen has just given up, so if I'm replying late ...... :(
Never buy BENQ flat screens)

Anyway that was off topic
what do you think about B&W boxes?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 08:29:42 PM »
I fell in love w/the nautilus 800s I saw in Boston last week.  big, sexy bitches.   

cshepherd

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 12:07:43 PM »
Dealers usually have a 'family sound' they try to achieve with all of their systems.  You might want to listen to some of their more expensive systems to hear where their advice will lead you (when you upgrade).  If you like their big systems, their advice for smaller systems will likely suit your tastes as well.

Good Luck,
Chris

Offline Filharmoniker

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 11:48:26 AM »
thx guys, I 'll return to the shop and ask for these brands mentionned above. I already planned to hear also the 'most expensive' system. After all this doesn't seem to be a stupid idee...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com