Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser Active Setup - MKH 8000 Part II  (Read 46433 times)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
Re: Sennheiser Active Setup - MKH 8000 Part II
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »
I am putting the MKH8040's in the mail for you Jim. Thanks for letting me run them for so long. I taped 12 shows with them from 3/30 - 5/1. All coming on DVDs in the package.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2008, 02:10:07 PM »
I am putting the MKH8040's in the mail for you Jim. Thanks for letting me run them for so long. I taped 12 shows with them from 3/30 - 5/1. All coming on DVDs in the package.

having run them for a dozen shows, can you share your opinion of their sound, manufacture, ease of use, opinion on coloration if any?  thanks

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2008, 02:19:11 PM »
Bean, to answer your question. I have found that the microphones are very natural sounding. The mid ranges are smooth and not as prominent as with my 460's. Low end pickup is rediculous. I think I am going to run roll off on my V3 when I tape in venues with bigger pa stacks. You can really hear the bass line clearly and the kick drum is smooth and not muddy. The highs are extremely acurate without being brittle. Vocals are natural/warm and do not stand out in the mix. All in all I have been happy with them. If I had to give them a description I would say that they are warm/natural sounding with excellent high end sizzle.

The size is another selling point for me as they are tiny. You really don't need remote cable. For the money you could have GreatGumbino make you a set of high quality silver RA stubbys.
However, once the remote cables start shipping, I bet people will find that they will probably work with the schoeps mounting setups.

Offline grider

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2008, 02:29:06 PM »
based on that description, the sound appears to be very similar to AKG 480's, that being that they have a pronounded bass response and accurate high end sizzle with not too much midrange, but perhaps a little warmer in overall sound to the 480's, would that be right? oh but with active cable capacity ;)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 03:38:45 PM »
Just got an update on my remote cables - they're supposed to "hit the States" on 5/22.  I should have them soon after.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2008, 04:25:04 PM »
based on that description, the sound appears to be very similar to AKG 480's, that being that they have a pronounded bass response and accurate high end sizzle with not too much midrange, but perhaps a little warmer in overall sound to the 480's, would that be right? oh but with active cable capacity ;)

much clearer/more natural low end pick up. especially the bass line. the high frequency response is way more detailed than the akgs. however, the mid seem to not be as prominent as with the akgs.

Offline grider

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 04:27:25 PM »
interesting, especially since one of the most frequent complaints about 480's is their lack of midrange pick up

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 04:30:46 PM »
interesting, especially since one of the most frequent complaints about 480's is their lack of midrange pick up

well, in comparison to the 8040's, the 480's have a better guitar and vocal pickup, however , the 8040's sound much more natural. What I have found is that for louder shows I have had to boost the mids slightly, with excellent results.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 04:45:05 PM »
I was in the chapel of New College, Oxford today; recording evensong with an ORTF pair of MKH 8040 with MKH 8020 outriggers.

As it was a test session I will have to wait to hear the results, though, as it was recorded on a friend's SADiE.

One thing I did find though - is that the MKH 8040 heads fit perfectly into the DPA ORTF mount.

I know the pic. shows the DPA heads, but the MKH 8040 fit perfectly - I tried it.

Now, to chat up my mates at DPA............................

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
I was in the chapel of New College, Oxford today; recording evensong with an ORTF pair of MKH 8040 with MKH 8020 outriggers.

As it was a test session I will have to wait to hear the results, though, as it was recorded on a friend's SADiE.

One thing I did find though - is that the MKH 8040 heads fit perfectly into the DPA ORTF mount.

I know the pic. shows the DPA heads, but the MKH 8040 fit perfectly - I tried it.

nice discovery John. how much are those mounts anyways?

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2008, 11:02:55 AM »

I'm glad you got some good use out of them  8)

+T
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2008, 11:33:39 AM »

The MKH 8040 fit perfectly - I tried it.

nice discovery John. how much are those mounts anyways?

The mount is the DPA CXO 4000 and it retails for £85 +VAT in the UK - I have no idea what the US price is, I'm afraid.

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2008, 12:06:40 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/282473-REG/DPA_Microphones_CXO4000_Compact_XY_ORTF_Stereo_Holder.html

They are not necessarily the cheapest... but easy to work with..

$122.95

They also have just the compact x/y at $95.95

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2008, 12:14:28 PM »
i can't afford these but damn they seem nice
can't wait to hear crumbos dmb recordings with these
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2008, 01:19:58 PM »
I bet that would work for the Neumann KM100 line as well.  Never checked this mount out before.  Nice design.  Could be a good (and cheaper) alternative to the STH100.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com