Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser Active Setup - MKH 8000 Part II  (Read 46439 times)

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • always give more than you take
Re: Sennheiser Active Setup - MKH 8000 Part II
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »
think you are right, I was expecting a cable like the DPA cable which has the three pronged XLR male outs at the end of this cable, but alas this is not the case, this Senn cable appears to just connect the cap and body like Schoeps does for example

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2008, 10:53:11 AM »
do I understand from those pics Crumbo that Senn bodies are connected to one end of the extension cables in a female format and Senn connectors are also connected at the other end of the cables in a male format which then has a typical XLR connector so that interconnects of some type are required to plug into a preamp or all in one box?  it appears that there are equally long Senn brand connectors at each end of the extension cables in those pics

If your mic could fit in the XLR inputs of your recorder then you probably wouldn't need interconnects, but I wouldn't recommend it. 

It's basically like any other active setup - caps on one end, bodies on the other.  Only difference is that the body in this case is really only an XLR adapter - there's no circuitry in it at all.

Edit - Whoops, didn't notice there was another page.  I think Crumbo and I both got the 5m custom cables, which is why they took so long to get here.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2008, 11:18:27 AM »
do I understand from those pics Crumbo that Senn bodies are connected to one end of the extension cables in a female format and Senn connectors are also connected at the other end of the cables in a male format which then has a typical XLR connector so that interconnects of some type are required to plug into a preamp or all in one box?  it appears that there are equally long Senn brand connectors at each end of the extension cables in those pics

The MKH 8000 series microphones screw in half - the top end is the microphone and the bottom end is the XLR connector.

You then separate the two halves and insert the remote cable in-between.

The picture shows the microphone at one end and the XLR at the other with the remote cable in the middle.

You then just plug the XLR end into a standard XLR lead to the pre-amp.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2008, 11:28:19 AM »
Oops - I missed the extra page too, in replying.

However - to add to it all.....

Later this year Sennheiser will launch the MZD 8000 - this is an AES42 digital body that is used with the microphone in place of the XLR module.

So - in theory - you could put this at the other end of the remote cable and plug into a digital input.  So this may help explain why the remote cable is as it is.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »
Nifty. ;)

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2008, 03:49:23 PM »

If your mic could fit in the XLR inputs of your recorder then you probably wouldn't need interconnects, but I wouldn't recommend it. 

It's basically like any other active setup - caps on one end, bodies on the other.  Only difference is that the body in this case is really only an XLR adapter - there's no circuitry in it at all.

Edit - Whoops, didn't notice there was another page.  I think Crumbo and I both got the 5m custom cables, which is why they took so long to get here.

yep

these *almost* fit into a schoeps kwon bar

John, you still hitting the DMB NC shows?
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »

yep

Too loose?  Too tight?

And no I won't be at DMB in NC - have a business trip that negated that plan. :(  Still will be at VA Beach and the Gorge, though.

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2008, 06:04:23 PM »

yep

Too loose?  Too tight?

And no I won't be at DMB in NC - have a business trip that negated that plan. :(  Still will be at VA Beach and the Gorge, though.

a tad too tight

since the cable is rubbery you could probably jam it in there but I don't really want to try

I can send you a kwon bar if you want to try it out

bummer about DMB, we could have done a nice comp  ;D
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2008, 07:09:26 PM »
a tad too tight

since the cable is rubbery you could probably jam it in there but I don't really want to try

I can send you a kwon bar if you want to try it out

bummer about DMB, we could have done a nice comp  ;D

Hmm...Well I wonder if I could bore out a Schoeps bar a little bit.  Robert Kwon had actually gotten with me about making some bars for this set, but I haven't been able to get back in touch with him since then...  I'm going to try an MBHO bar and see if they fit in there at all.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2008, 01:45:31 AM »
John Kelly
thanx for the great pics of those sweet
"active" cables
I am so itching to try these out
and hopefully get some soon... may be next year?

thanx again
peace
-- ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2008, 10:36:58 AM »
If the "mic body" on the other end of the active cable is basically just an XLR adaptor (with no active circuitry, as is mentioned several times in this thread), why can't Senn just make an active cable that connects to the caps on one end, and then a standard XLR plug on the other?

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2008, 10:43:30 AM »
John -

If Robert is into the project let me know... I would be interested in at least a Din and ORTF...

+T for getting this rolling..

Thanks -

CQBErt

+T for Toad - sounds real nice
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2008, 10:46:50 AM »
If the "mic body" on the other end of the active cable is basically just an XLR adaptor (with no active circuitry, as is mentioned several times in this thread), why can't Senn just make an active cable that connects to the caps on one end, and then a standard XLR plug on the other?

as is the case with DPA mics?  my guess is the DPA's are specifically engineered to be body-less microphones witht the cap using the cable you describe, whereas from the appearance of the Senns they were not engineered to be used without the bodies, thus the cable you refer to would not work

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2008, 10:53:33 AM »
John -

If Robert is into the project let me know... I would be interested in at least a Din and ORTF...

+T for getting this rolling..

Thanks -

CQBErt

+T for Toad - sounds real nice

I will as soon as I hear from him.  Until then I'm pursuing having a local machine shop make them for me with a supplied CAD drawing.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2008, 11:49:13 AM »

Because it reduces the flexibility of the system.

Also - the cables are all stereo capable.

At the moment the cable can have one or two mics going down it (Y-cable coming) - at the other end can be the XLR-3 module, XLR-5 module (coming - I hope), MZD 8000 AES42 digital module, etc.

As it is now you can plug one extension into another to make a longer one - or have two heads on a catenery one on a 3m cable the other on a y-cable, the end of the 3m is connected into the other half of the y-cable and the output of the y-cable connected to a 10m cable, etc....... (for example).

A very flexible system.

For XLR they would have to do cables in all lengths with both XLR-3 and XLR-5 options.

They may come eventually - but if you need an XLR version, just cut off one end and solder on an XLR.

I hope this is clear.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com