Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sennheiser Active Setup - MKH 8000 Part II  (Read 46436 times)

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Sennheiser Active Setup - MKH 8000 Part II
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2008, 02:38:55 PM »
John -

If Robert is into the project let me know... I would be interested in at least a Din and ORTF...

+T for getting this rolling..

Thanks -

CQBErt

+T for Toad - sounds real nice

I will as soon as I hear from him.  Until then I'm pursuing having a local machine shop make them for me with a supplied CAD drawing.

I'd like to get in line for this too :)

looking for a DIN and DINa bar

thanks John!

+T
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »
Yeah I told him others would definitely want in.  I'll let you guys know if/when I hear back from him.

If I can't get up with him and go with the local machinist, would you guys be interested in those?
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2008, 02:51:19 PM »
Yeah I told him others would definitely want in.  I'll let you guys know if/when I hear back from him.

If I can't get up with him and go with the local machinist, would you guys be interested in those?

I would be interested in either option :)
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline CQBert

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2008, 03:02:21 PM »
Same Here...

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2008, 03:10:58 PM »
Well I'm going to do some measurements this weekend and see if I can get some CAD drawings going.  If I don't hear anything back from Robert next week I'll call my guys over here and get it started.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2008, 04:28:32 PM »
If the "mic body" on the other end of the active cable is basically just an XLR adaptor (with no active circuitry, as is mentioned several times in this thread), why can't Senn just make an active cable that connects to the caps on one end, and then a standard XLR plug on the other?

as is the case with DPA mics?  my guess is the DPA's are specifically engineered to be body-less microphones witht the cap using the cable you describe, whereas from the appearance of the Senns they were not engineered to be used without the bodies, thus the cable you refer to would not work

Actually they *would* work.

But the reason they are not done is as I described above.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2008, 04:30:56 PM »
Well I'm going to do some measurements this weekend and see if I can get some CAD drawings going.  If I don't hear anything back from Robert next week I'll call my guys over here and get it started.

If all this is about doing special Kwon bars for the MKH 8040 on a remote cable for ORTF - I'm interested.  Count me in please.

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2008, 04:34:12 PM »
If the "mic body" on the other end of the active cable is basically just an XLR adaptor (with no active circuitry, as is mentioned several times in this thread), why can't Senn just make an active cable that connects to the caps on one end, and then a standard XLR plug on the other?

as is the case with DPA mics?  my guess is the DPA's are specifically engineered to be body-less microphones witht the cap using the cable you describe, whereas from the appearance of the Senns they were not engineered to be used without the bodies, thus the cable you refer to would not work

Actually they *would* work.

But the reason they are not done is as I described above.

John is right, grider.  The "body" that you refer to isn't really a body at all - it's just an XLR adapter.  The "body" really is inside the capsule, just like the DPAs.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2008, 05:30:46 PM »
well, interestingly, that raises the question then, since Sennheiser has chosen its own proprietary five pin male connectors for the end of the extension cable why don't they just make a little five pin to three pin connector instead?  I realize that is exactly what the body does but it is at the same time too long to plug directly into a preamp or all in one box thus necessitating the use of XLR interconnects, how about instead just a little five pin to three pin cap instead that could replace the body altogether AND fit directly onto the end of the five pin extension cable

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2008, 10:05:13 PM »
well, interestingly, that raises the question then, since Sennheiser has chosen its own proprietary five pin male connectors for the end of the extension cable why don't they just make a little five pin to three pin connector instead?  I realize that is exactly what the body does but it is at the same time too long to plug directly into a preamp or all in one box thus necessitating the use of XLR interconnects, how about instead just a little five pin to three pin cap instead that could replace the body altogether AND fit directly onto the end of the five pin extension cable

a 5-Pin>3-Pin adapter prolly wouldnt yield much of a size diff anyway, since the XLR adapter on them is already TINY. Actives really arent needed for these IMO. Has anyone ran the "Full Bodies" w/ a Vark Bar? I bet a Vark Bar+Shure A53M donut shockmount would hold up just fine w/ these :)

BUT, actives are mighty sweet!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2008, 04:01:07 AM »

This is a bit misleading as the connector is *not* a proprietary five pin connector.

The connector at the far end of the cabe is the same as the microphone - it's basically a pcb with rings so that the adaptor can screw on - it's not a plug at all.

As this is the cheapest end it would be quite easy to chop it off and solder on an XLR if you so desire.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2008, 06:08:09 AM »
I guess the real question is, compared to the cable end + Senn "mic body", how much shorter would an XLR plug actually be?  Maybe we could get a photo with the active cable end + mic body right next to a standard neutrik XLR?  thanks.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2008, 07:09:27 AM »

+T for being so motivated and getting the ball rolling :) I wish you the best of luck :)

So you do have the actives already John? Word!

And I know fo another taper wanting to make his own mounts w/ Delrin. And his work has been 100% TOP NOTCH and beautiful craftmanship as well :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2008, 07:35:51 AM »
I guess the real question is, compared to the cable end + Senn "mic body", how much shorter would an XLR plug actually be?  Maybe we could get a photo with the active cable end + mic body right next to a standard neutrik XLR?  thanks.
in theory it would be half the size (lets assume the body is the same size as a xlr connector)
because as it is now (good idea for the flexablility though) you have the body and need interconnects
if you didn't need interconnects you would have half the amount of space being used (actually more because like 1/3 with interconnects you have 2 ends)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2008, 07:46:17 AM »

+T for being so motivated and getting the ball rolling :) I wish you the best of luck :)

So you do have the actives already John? Word!

And I know fo another taper wanting to make his own mounts w/ Delrin. And his work has been 100% TOP NOTCH and beautiful craftmanship as well :)

You talking about NOLAFishwater?  He has PMed me.  He's just trying to replicate the current bars, which should be fairly easy.  I can probably do that as well, but I'm going to concentrate on getting them for the Senns first.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com