Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Active Project part 4  (Read 76761 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re: AKG Active Project part 4
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
Cable....

OK. Guess some large guage cables then?

edited to add....just read back a litle further...looks like some kind of connector will be used which is why the hole seems larger. Cool.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:50:16 PM by Chris K »
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2011, 12:54:23 PM »
The cable wont be hardwired with the current design. That hole is for the binder connection.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #287 on: December 08, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
Maybe a little off topic but I found a mini clip that works perfectly with the lemo connector Ted uses with the CK1x>actives>Tinybox setup.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532997-REG/Sennheiser_MZQ8001_MZQ_8001_Remote_Microphone_Mini.html

And to bring it back on topic it may work with Jon's colette connector if this is the one he ends up using.

edit to add: Yes, these are pricey but the Schoeps SGC doesn't fit and the SGCM needs major tinkering to get it to fit.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:36:47 AM by ts »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2011, 10:35:29 AM »
Maybe a little off topic but I found a mini clip that works perfectly with the lemo connector Ted uses with the CK1x>actives>Tinybox setup.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532997-REG/Sennheiser_MZQ8001_MZQ_8001_Remote_Microphone_Mini.html

And to bring it back on topic it may work with Jon's colette connector if this is the one he ends up using.

edit to add: Yes, these are pricey but the Schoeps SGC doesn't fit and the SGCM needs major tinkering to get it to fit.
$60  :o
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #289 on: December 08, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »

$60  :o

Yea, right. plus it's plastic.  :P

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #290 on: December 08, 2011, 01:30:46 PM »
Here is a thought.  Why not just have a slitght grove machined into the next batch of connectors say 1mm deep and as wide as the lyre on a rycote invision shock mount. they are small enough to keep thing lo profile and the best shock on the market. 

OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #291 on: December 08, 2011, 02:04:44 PM »
Here is a thought.  Why not just have a slitght grove machined into the next batch of connectors say 1mm deep and as wide as the lyre on a rycote invision shock mount. they are small enough to keep thing lo profile and the best shock on the market. 

OOK

as an owner of the invision mounts, I agree that I think they are the best mount on the market today, but if you're using 2 of them (1 for each cap), I think you've lost the low-profile race... I use one in a kwon-bar setup and if I wanted something smaller I'd go to the A53 donut (which is the second best shockmount in terms of effect). just my 2 cents
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #292 on: December 08, 2011, 02:08:10 PM »

OOK

as an owner of the invision mounts, I agree that I think they are the best mount on the market today, but if you're using 2 of them (1 for each cap), I think you've lost the low-profile race... I use one in a kwon-bar setup and if I wanted something smaller I'd go to the A53 donut (which is the second best shockmount in terms of effect). just my 2 cents

forgot about the donut, that probably would be better.  OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #293 on: December 08, 2011, 03:01:25 PM »

OOK

forgot about the donut, that probably would be better.  OOK

I think it depends on the objective. I use a single rycote in a kwon setup and I don't think i'm sacrificing much in terms of space or visual appearance for a gain in shock resistance, but I wouldn't want to use two if I was trying to keep a small aerial footprint.

If I had to be more incognito though, for a slight trade off in noise reduction, I'd switch to a single A53. I don't think either are bad, but they are oriented to different goals in my mind.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
Question for mshilarious: Schematic for PFA modules for CK6x actives?
« Reply #294 on: December 09, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »
You need two wires coming from that box  ;)
Hey Ms.  Are you willing to release your schematic for the PFA you use with the Actives?

I'd like to try building my own (hard connection) version of the CK6x actives.  Also, I have a set of older (1980's vintage) Beyerdynamic actives that I would like to try out.  My naive PFA worked, but it introduced a lot noise (from the Phantom power supply?), so I'd like to try yours.

Thanks!
  Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #295 on: December 14, 2011, 09:41:01 PM »
Any updates on testing or cost of collettes?
Thinking of getting a tb now since I have some holiday cash but don't want to do it if things are not moving in the right direction
Finally cable wise, has anyone talked to Robb or teddy about this project? Interested to know what cables/adaptors I would need (would like to have the active set up and the option to run soundpro stealth mics if I wanted too. Jon posted the pin lay out for that set up)
Thanks for input
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 09:48:49 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #296 on: December 14, 2011, 10:21:41 PM »
Someone will be getting a Christmas present.  I will need to tweak the drawing on the couplings, I guess I had made some changes on my prototype that never made it back to the drawing, but the thread hole needs to be about 3mm deeper (just the drill, not the tap), and the whole package can probably be a couple mm shorter.

As for the PFA schemo I will have to clean it up a lot to be legible, it's a joint schematic shared with three other products and of course there are several different PFA configurations . . . I'll try to get to that within a week or so.
Thanks for the PFA information.  What I was planning to do is to just hardwire my capsules.  The collette circuit would just use a self-biased fet, a 1G bias resistor and a few other parts.  I've adopted the old Beyerdynamic wiring: one pin for 40-48V, ground and audio out.  The 40-48V wire supplies both the bias and FET current.  A bit wasteful of power, but I just followed that scheme.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #297 on: December 14, 2011, 10:23:06 PM »
any ideas how these actives should sound versus the 480's?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #298 on: December 15, 2011, 11:02:38 AM »
any ideas how these actives should sound versus the 480's?
Everyone whom has participated on this thread is wondering the exact same thing...Hope to hear something by the first of the year!

The only thing remotely close is Ted's CK1x and Naiant PFA rig he just started running...he felt it sounded fine compared to the old C460b body and AKG Active Cable setup...

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #299 on: December 15, 2011, 11:51:19 AM »
As for the PFA schemo I will have to clean it up a lot to be legible, it's a joint schematic shared with three other products and of course there are several different PFA configurations . . . I'll try to get to that within a week or so.

Cool!   Thanks!  That should be educational.

I'm also curious about the coupler schematic.  There seem to be a few different approaches, though they may not be all that different.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com