Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT8531 Power Module Question  (Read 13293 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AT8531 Power Module Question
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 12:20:49 AM »
Thinking of picking up some of the AT853's (not SP modified) with the AT8531 power module.

The specs for this power module reference a AA battery. Does this battery go into the power module? Is this AA battery required when running phantom power, or is it another way to power the mic without using a preamp or battery box setup?

(I've searched the threads, and like the option of setting up the 853's with the mini xlr's (etc.) so you can utilize a battery box or preamp, depending on the situation.)

Thanks!
The AT8531 are only good if you run phantom.  They don't provide enough volts with the AA battery.

My advice, get a three-wire battery box.  You've got miniXLR connectors on your AT853, right?  I think Will_S has some battery boxes.  Send him a PM, or post an "ISO" for three-wire battery boxes.

Otherwise just do a 4.7k mod on your mics and terminate in a miniplug.  Chris Church can probably help you out if you cannot solder.  And, no, I'm not offering to do any mods... Sorry, I'm not able at the moment...  I'll just offer advice from behind the keyboard...

Richard
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:23:49 AM by illconditioned »
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 12:33:05 AM »
Thinking of picking up some of the AT853's (not SP modified) with the AT8531 power module.

The specs for this power module reference a AA battery. Does this battery go into the power module? Is this AA battery required when running phantom power, or is it another way to power the mic without using a preamp or battery box setup?

(I've searched the threads, and like the option of setting up the 853's with the mini xlr's (etc.) so you can utilize a battery box or preamp, depending on the situation.)

Thanks!
The AT8531 are only good if you run phantom.  They don't provide enough volts with the AA battery.

My advice, get a three-wire battery box.  You've got miniXLR connectors on your AT853, right?  I think Will_S has some battery boxes.  Send him a PM, or post an "ISO" for three-wire battery boxes.

My boxes are both based on fozzy's Crown Royal design where the two mics terminate to a single miniXLR (when you include the sleeve of the connector, this works out to enough conductors to do 3 wire power for each mic).  But, I can include a short bit of cable I chopped off my mics to do the 4.7k mod which you can copy to figure out how to wire your mics to work with the boxes.

Alchemy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 12:39:08 AM »

Thanks!

I see what you are saying...but there is someone on DIME that posts recordings with a basic AT853>AT8531>R-09 and the clarity is great. It is the type of sound that can only be acheived with phantom power. That's why I'm confused.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 01:08:03 AM by Alchemy »

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 01:45:11 AM »
i have run my at853a's with the 8531 batterybox/p48 adapter as well as my current 8533 p48 adapters.

the 8531 were pretty much useless for anything i needed them to do.  only providing 1.5v of power to mic is IMO not really powering these mics.  as a p48 adapter they are (as previously mentioned) the size of a pack of cigs and need a XLR break out cable if you are going to run into a pre.  in sum, they underpowered the mics and were too bulky.

on the advice of a member here (i think marc kim) i sent my 8531 boxes to AT and had them send me 8533's instead.  Since the 8531's were practically new, it was free of charge (other than the cost to ship to AT).  These are the p48 barrels that everyone in familar with.  i use these for p48 applications and had a battery box for smaller discrete needs.  these days, i havent really powered the at853a's with anything other than the SD MP-2.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 02:30:37 AM »
Is this not just a case of different supply voltages giving different overload levels? A higher voltage feeding the internal FET of the capsule will normally result in more headroom. The specification of the AT853a says max 121dB with 1.5V and 135dB with 9-52V. I think there is only 9V (or slightly less) of supply to the FET with Phantom Power. Would it be possible to replace the 1.5V AA battery with two 3.6V ½AA lithium batteries (=7.2V)?

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 10:15:23 AM »
Is this not just a case of different supply voltages giving different overload levels? A higher voltage feeding the internal FET of the capsule will normally result in more headroom. The specification of the AT853a says max 121dB with 1.5V and 135dB with 9-52V. I think there is only 9V (or slightly less) of supply to the FET with Phantom Power. Would it be possible to replace the 1.5V AA battery with two 3.6V ½AA lithium batteries (=7.2V)?

I'm sure someone could do this mod, but then you have 2 power modules that are even bulkier than they are stock.  The better solution (sizewise) would be to use a single 9v powered battery box that powers both mics. 

I still haven't used my 8531's with AA's; just as a means to step down the p48 to a voltage that the mics can handle.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 01:09:33 PM »
The power modules will not become any bulkier. Two ½AA are just the same size as one AA! Just put smaller batteries in series. What you get is 7.2V where you had 1.5V. The increased headroom would be of use in many cases. This would be more or less on par with a Phantom Power if that is what you want. 

Roger

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 01:17:41 PM »
The power modules will not become any bulkier. Two ½AA are just the same size as one AA! Just put smaller batteries in series. What you get is 7.2V where you had 1.5V. The increased headroom would be of use in many cases. This would be more or less on par with a Phantom Power if that is what you want. 

Roger
Gotcha.  I missed the 1/2 part. 
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline kozakz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 04:58:06 PM »
My experience with the AT8531 is that they are absolutelly crap for loud concerts with 1 AA battery. If I turn on the bass roll off then the sound got much better. With the bass roll off they are usable, but not the perfect solution.

Alchemy

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 05:30:46 PM »
There has to be a mod for this box that no one is talking about. This certain someone is using 1 AA battery in each module and getting great results at high volume shows. What everyone says here makes complete sense to me, but at the same time there seems to be an exception.  ???

Here is a prime example...

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=158830

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 06:29:49 PM »
There is a solution, several.  I had sound pro build me a preamp box that each mic has its own 3 wire hook up That runs on a 9volt.   It raised the SPL handling of the mics.  They worked great from that point on. I believe that it supplys 9 volts bias power at the mics, which is much higher than the 1.5-3 volts plug in power that most recorders provide.

Prior to that I had the single plug two wire set up and the mics bottomed out bad in loud enviorments.

Sound pro will also make pigtails that have these power modules made for the mics.  They allow you to run phantom power. http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/AT8533X

I have my set up for sale here.  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=94770.0
sorry for the shameless plug.  But these do work great.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 06:31:58 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 08:59:25 AM »
Sound pro will also make pigtails that have these power modules made for the mics.  They allow you to run phantom power. http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/AT8533X

The AT8531's allow you to run phantom power too (in case you didn't realize it).  The AA battery is just another option that is pretty much useless (in most people's opinion).  The concensus seems to be that the 8533's are the better option for running phantom, because it is a more compact solution (i.e. doesn't require the pigtails).  The reason I originally went with the AT8531's was because of the battery powered option.  If I had known then what I know now, I would have just went with the AT8533's.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

nameloc01

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 04:41:04 PM »
Get yourself a factory made phantom power ( a denecke ps2 for example) the adaptors and you will be completely set. If you do that you will not be able to overload them, trust me.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 03:52:10 PM »
Ah, sorry... your question is getting out of my realm of knowledge,unfortunately.

What I will tell you is that its commonplace within these threads that the AT853's perform at a higher level when you are using +48v phantom power, as opposed to a battery box. 

Do you plan to stealth quite a bit?

Not true actually, they perform exactly the same as a matter of fact some of the "AT" phantom adaptors actually have a high pass filter at 100hz in them that is always on. This actually serves to further degrade the low end of the mics connected to them * unless that's what you want * the bias voltage between 5 volts and 12 volts makes very little if any change in the mics overload characteristics.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com