Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what mix of mic-types?  (Read 4635 times)

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
Re: what mix of mic-types?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 06:01:43 AM »
nicegrin, my impression is that people here were talking about recording onto four separate channels from four microphones--then later, mixing those four signals down to two.

I use to do a lot of my 4 channel mixes onto DAT using a Wendt X4 ENG mixer. It wasn't until I bough the Deva 3.5 years ago that I started doing four+ channel mixes in post. The key is you have to use a mixer, have a nice set of headphones/earphones (I use the ER-4S when doing this), and realize that you can't put in any delay or fix any sort of issues, so you get one chance at it.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: what mix of mic-types?
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 09:20:57 AM »

Let me suggest a new strategy (hmm, what movie is that line from?). Directional microphones tend to roll off at the lowest audio frequencies; what if we just let them do that, or even cut them off deliberately at some frequency such as 50 or 75 Hz--then mix in the outputs of two spaced pressure omni microphones at those low frequencies only. That way you could have the stable stereo imaging of a coincident or closely spaced pair of directional microphones, plus the spaciousness and gut-slamming low-frequency response of the pressure (omni) transducers, without either pair of mikes interfering with each other.

--best regards

interesting approach.
its like bi-amping a speaker in reverse.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com