Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrade question for field recording  (Read 2374 times)

Offline petr hamal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Upgrade question for field recording
« on: January 16, 2009, 10:27:26 AM »
Hi Tapers

I currently have a Sony PCM D50 and use it together with Soundman OKM II. I love recording ambience, environmental sounds and I'd like to know what options there are if I want a little bit better sound quality.

I like transparency, the feeling of being there, good stereo image, sensitivity and low self-noise.

What's a possible next step, what kind of mics should I look into. Let's say regardless of price (haha), of course price is an issue but I'm also interested in how expensive things can get from here. So my rational part can say no.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Upgrade question for field recording
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »
Get yourself the Sound Pro Binaural microphones and you won't be let down:
SP-TFB-2
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 11:06:29 AM »
What sonic characteristics do you find lacking with your current gear?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline petr hamal

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »
One thing is noise, I wonder if I could reduce that further when recording in environments that are quiet. I'd like to get a good feeling of the space with only subtle sounds. It's not for recording loud concerts.

The other thing is the handling of the Soundman mics. I really like the result but you have to plug them into your ears and have to be careful not to breathe too much.

I'd be interested in similar microphone settings like using DPA4060 or something different like using Rode NT4. What are your experiences? Are DPA4060 really that much better or should I go with a completely different mic setup?

I understand it's maybe difficult to answer for experienced tapers, but I'm happy about any pointers or general advice.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 04:42:40 AM by petr hamal »

Offline petr hamal

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 09:48:39 PM »
@Moke: Doesn't the D50 already have a preamp? Is it better to use an external/dedicated one?

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 11:29:46 AM »
The D50 does have a quiet internal pre.  If you are taping soft ambient things, an external pre may be a good idea.  Loud rock?  May just need a battery box for the external mics and no pre.

I have been using my CA 9100 with the D50, but line-in and not mic-in. 
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 03:01:21 PM »
I currently have a Sony PCM D50 and use it together with Soundman OKM II. I love recording ambience, environmental sounds and I'd like to know what options there are if I want a little bit better sound quality.

I guess you run those OKMs head-worn?
But besides the binaural effect, is there any particular reason you go for stealth size gear if you're just recording ambient anyway?

You could get better stereo separation and avoid body noise by getting larger mics, a stand, bar + jecklin disc or similar. Have you considered that?!
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 10:02:32 AM »
Hi Tapers

I like transparency, the feeling of being there, good stereo image, sensitivity and low self-noise.

What's a possible next step, what kind of mics should I look into. Let's say regardless of price (haha), of course price is an issue but I'm also interested in how expensive things can get from here. So my rational part can say no.

OK, NOT cheap, but highly specialized for low noise stereo-surround ambient is my DSM-1S/H + WHB/N windscreen, AND your D50 deck directly powers this set perfectly.  So you're good to record practically any type of ambient sound using just this mic+ deck rig.

DSM-1S/H mic specs on table at: www.sonicstudios.com/dsm.htm#chart 

MOST importantly, a multitude of raw ambient recordings made with 1S/H model on page: www.sonicstudios.com/mp3.htm

Mic + Windscreen assembly with case looks like this:

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com