Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: when to run ak20 for MS-Stereo setup.  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
when to run ak20 for MS-Stereo setup.
« on: September 12, 2009, 07:48:48 PM »
I am looking into getting a DA-AK and an AK20 to run with my AK40.  My question is when would I choose to run this set up vs. the AK40 pair like I usually do?
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: when to run ak20 for MS-Stereo setup.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:17:56 PM »
I am looking into getting a DA-AK and an AK20 to run with my AK40.  My question is when would I choose to run this set up vs. the AK40 pair like I usually do?

BWolf and anhisr can comment specifically on the neumann setup and it's "flavor" (for lack of a better term), so I can only offer what I know as a result of running MS with my own stuff.

I find that if I'm uber-far back, or I'm in the sweet spot, then MS works better for me, while if I'm 1.5-2 times the distance to the stage as the sweet spot is (so if the spot's around 50' and I'm around 80 or so), then I prefer running standard cards because of what how the recording angle to the stacks, the response off axis of cards, and how MS changes your "pattern" at the same time as your angle.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com