Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thoughts on recording in lp mode  (Read 2343 times)

Offline vansmack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Thoughts on recording in lp mode
« on: February 20, 2004, 06:42:17 AM »
Just wondering if anyone here has recorded w/ minidisc in lp mode with good results.  My dilema is the Dream Theatre concert I will be taping in a couple weeks.  They play for about 90-95 minutes, have an intermission, and them play for another 90 minutes.  I'm using a sharp md480.  The manual says for quality recordings use sp or lp mode, sound will suffer a bit in 4x mode.  I've recorded cds and a loud stero system in lp mode with nice results( not the same as a show i know).  I would hate to have 2 disc changes each resulting in 30-40 seconds of missed show.  And my player will not switch on the fly from sp to lp recording. I'd appreciate any input  or suggestions on this matter. Thanks

Offline Swampy

• Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Re:Thoughts on recording in lp mode
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 07:02:51 AM »
If you are going to spread the show to the public, I would say dont use lp, but if you are taping it for yourself I dont see why lp would be a problem

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 07:08:41 AM »
swampy is right.  I personally wouldn't use LP mode but then again I'm an elitist ::)

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 11:49:50 AM »
Dream Theater's show will be a little shorter than that--if you are using 80 min blanks, and you pause it if they take a long time to talk in between songs, you will have more than enough room for.  then you will fill up 1 disc per set.

What show are you going to?  I will be going to their concert on March 8th in Phoenix--I should get a decent boot there.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 11:50:25 AM »
If you are releasing to the public, I feel that you should consider a disc switch somewhere in the 95 min. set.  I don't know Dream Theater, but I don't think they play 95 straight minutes. If I were to download a show, I'd much rather have it be recorded in sp and missing some chatter the band said.  Just get the music!  :)

Also, I truly feel that no one would have a problem with MD and even LP modes if EVERY SINGLE MD TAPER PROPERLY DOCUMENTED THEIR WORK.  No matter what you do, include EVERYTHING in the info file so we know what you did (including tape swaps).

ps, if you plan to do the tape switch, you can definitely do it quickly:

1. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.  I'm serious.  Practice it over 50 times in the light.  Then another 50 times in the dark.  If you can, get a mini flash light, I use the ones you get as key chain's.  You have to account for the time it takes for the MD recorder to save the info and write the TOC info too (or whatever it's called).

2. Plan your switch ahead of time.  I prefer to actually try and get the switch early in the set, not write when the 1st disc is nearing the end.  This way the TOC write and everything is a little shorter.  Use a 80 min. too, trust me, it's saved my ass more than once.

good luck
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 11:52:23 AM by Chris color »
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 02:55:13 PM »
I'll be going to the Hollywood show March 6th.  So nobody has recorded a show in lp mode before?

busknuckle

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 03:12:24 PM »
Let's put it this way...

I have a Tool show I did in LP2 when I still ran md. I regret it. The show sounds great but the limitations are evident, even after digital transfer and played back on crappy system.

I would never use LP4 to do a show. Try recording some cd you have (studio) using LP4 and see what you think. I think it's crap.

IF you are referring to a md player that does not have LP2 and LP4, then this would mean that you are recording in mono. It may not sound terrible, but you'll probably wish you had just gone with stereo. You'll get double the time in mono.

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 03:51:51 PM »
Vansmack--LP cuts the detail in the high frequencies--the cymbals, vocals, everything won't sound as clear or as detailed.  Try recording your voice, once in LP and once in regular mode--then when listening back, really focus on the high overtones in your voice (or the sharpness that voices have) and you will notice a difference.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 04:47:07 PM »
Well sp stero it is then Thanks all

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com