Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using a Rode NT-4 as an external camcorder mic  (Read 1243 times)

Offline dvtaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Using a Rode NT-4 as an external camcorder mic
« on: June 30, 2004, 09:00:25 PM »
Greetings Tapers,

I recently purchased a Rode NT-4 mic to use with a miniDV camcorder for taping at clubs, etc. I am wondering how I can get the most out of this mic using it in this way? The NT-4 has XLR connectors/phantom-power capability in additon to a 9-volt battery option. Am I correct in assuming that using phantom power is preferable to using a 9-volt? And if so, does anyone know of a portable, battery-operated phantom-powering device I can use for this? It must be battery-powered as I cannot rely on AC power where I'm taping.

I'm also looking at this mic preamp from Sound Professionals: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=SP-PREAMP-3&type=store

Will this do the trick? Or is it essentially the same as using the mic's 9-volt battery option?

Anyone familiar with the NT-4 who can give me some suggestions?

Thanks for the help & the space~

Mike

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Using a Rode NT-4 as an external camcorder mic
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 01:11:57 AM »
You could run a little phantom unit like the PS-2 that can be had for $100 used but it's probably not worth it.  The NT-4s 9v internal will do the trick.  The larger factor is the automatic gain control that is built into your camcorder.  It will play around with the levels on its own.  If you're on a budget, I'd spend the money on a minidisc recorder/JB3 instead, and synch the sound up after the fact.  That'll give you the best results for reasonable $.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

zowie

Re: Using a Rode NT-4 as an external camcorder mic
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 08:56:59 AM »
Benefit of using phantom vs 9 v probably not audible except maybe for extremely loud environments.  Trouble and expense of extrernal phantom totally not worth it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com