Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Im stumped! Need advice on mini disk hardware choice...  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Im stumped! Need advice on mini disk hardware choice...
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2004, 05:54:58 PM »
It is helpful for us to know how you'd use a recorder.  "Patching in" to someone else's mics, mainly for stealth taping, mainly for open taping, etc.  The one thing the MD has going over the JB3 is size, so if you're only mainly stealthing and feel the JB3 might be too large, then the JB3 might not be for you.  Otherwise there's a good chance it may be the best option for a recorder.  Also, with the standard 20gb drive, the JB3 can hold about 30 hours of uncompressed wav audio files, so upgrading to a higher capacity drive might not be necessary.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Howid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Bounce With Me...
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2004, 09:02:51 PM »
It is helpful for us to know how you'd use a recorder.  ... can hold about 30 hours of uncompressed wav audio files, so upgrading to a higher capacity drive might not be necessary.

I plan on buying my own mics eventually for stealthing, when/ if the chance occurs (SONY NetMD MZ-N1) but, until then, Ill be using a friends regualr sized mics for tapping into a board at shows that allow taping.

And yes, 30 hours of playback, thats awesome :) Perhaps I wont need to upgrade. 
Giant Squid Cardioids > JB3

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2004, 09:35:04 AM »
I plan on buying my own mics eventually for stealthing, when/ if the chance occurs (SONY NetMD MZ-N1) but, until then, Ill be using a friends regualr sized mics for tapping into a board at shows that allow taping.

wha?

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2004, 01:52:10 PM »

wha?
thats what i was thinking to ??? ???

Raphael

Offline Howid

• Taperssection Regular
  • Bounce With Me...
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2004, 09:23:17 PM »
Sure, lol

Giant Squid Cardioids > JB3

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2004, 11:05:41 AM »
Sure, lol

no really, what did you mean?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline sethro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2004, 02:26:55 PM »
I'v been using a minidisc for 3 years now and feel sharp makes a superior product.  I have a MT190, not the smallest or most expensive. You can adjust the levels (line in or mic, not optical though) on the fly with buttons right on the device (no menu selections).  It has a external AA battery case that makes it easy to extend the battery life.  I've taped lots of shows with it, yet I can't wait to stop using it.  It's tapes soud good to me, but the 5 A to D transfers to get to CD can't be good for the quality.    I just got a JB3, and the world is suddenly a better place. :)  Still the minidisk is the most affordable device with the least amount of gear needed.

Offline Roamer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2004, 03:40:01 PM »
Same comments, I still have a MT190. One note though : you can also adjust the levels with optical +/- 12 dB by increment of one (I tried with an AD20), but for someone a tight budget,  an external AD is probably not an option anyway. And yes, the transfer to the PC is not the easiest, so I should also move to the JB3.

Link to the differents gears from the archives:
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=29057

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com