Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PS Audio Quintet  (Read 12696 times)

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
PS Audio Quintet
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:31:06 AM »
First off I just want to say I'm a skeptic when it comes to power products (all except battery systems). 

I ran 2 circuits to my rack and really screwed myself by only putting single gang boxes in   :-[  With the pending arrival of new gear I needed more outlets and surge protection.  I heard good things about the new PS Audio gear and exchanged a few emails with Paul McGown about what would be best.  I asked about getting 2 duets ($600 used from Agon) so I could have digital and analog gear on different circuits or getting a Quintet.  Paul said nothing beats getting the digital and analog on different circuits, but he said the Quintet would be best due to slightly better filtering, antenna and DTV surge protection.  So I went with the Quintet since it would do a little more at a better price ($475).

My wife saw me pull it out of the box and couldn't believe the size of this "power strip".  It really is huge and heavy!  I don't really think it did much for the DVD picture quality, but it does provide a blacker background for the audio.  I highs seem slightly more extended as well.  I haven't had it long enough to do much else with it and it hasn't made me a total believer in passive power conditioning, but I must admit there is something different.

So far I have the turntable, phono pre, DVD player, receiver, and DTV box plugged into it.  Looking forward to getting my 2 channel tube pre this week.

SC

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: PS Audio Quintet
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:43:13 AM »
whats the theory behind why getting analog and digital components on different circuits will improve quality? just curious as this si the first time I've ever heard that.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 09:51:04 AM »
nice...I have power conditioning with my audio side now using an audio magic mini stealth, but I have been using a monster "level 1" power strip for the tv and sat receiver...I am gussing this may be little more than a surge protector...that said I have been going back and forth about getting a quintet, duet, or the older UPC 200....but I am not sure I would definitely see the benefit.  And since I would only be using whatever power solution I chose for tv, sat receiver and the dvd player...I am not sure what direction would give me the best bang for the buck...

regardless, look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get your new gear hooked up.

I tell you what, I thought taping and playing with pieces of my rig was addicting...it has nothing on this :P

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 02:27:28 PM »
I was looking at those too on a'gon and was wondering if anyone had one.  Seems like a decent price for a decent price of equipment.  One of te things I noticed about it was there are so mny for sale over there.  Just makes me  a little skeptical.

Shane

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 02:47:14 PM »
The digital gear will put high freq. noise back down the line. 

From what I've noticed many of the Quintets for sale are from guys who just got their new PPP's.  The guy I bought from had 2 and kept 1 since his PPP arrived.  You couldn't find any on Agon until the new PPP's started shipping.

So far so good.  I really do believe this thing is helping my system from the listening I've done yesterday and today.  When I'm able to get actual measurements taken we'll see what it really does.  Either way it has to provide better surge protection than a Belkin unit from Walmart.....I hope  ;D

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 07:56:34 AM »
Scott, Any more thoughts since you have had this a while?  I just realized that my turntable and phono pre will have to be a little farther from the rest of my components so I was looking into possibly getting a duet or a used UPC200 when it comes avaible for those two units..

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 09:11:55 AM »
First off I just want to say I'm a skeptic when it comes to power products (all except battery systems). 

I ran 2 circuits to my rack and really screwed myself by only putting single gang boxes in   :-[  With the pending arrival of new gear I needed more outlets and surge protection.  I heard good things about the new PS Audio gear and exchanged a few emails with Paul McGown about what would be best.  I asked about getting 2 duets ($600 used from Agon) so I could have digital and analog gear on different circuits or getting a Quintet.  Paul said nothing beats getting the digital and analog on different circuits, but he said the Quintet would be best due to slightly better filtering, antenna and DTV surge protection.  So I went with the Quintet since it would do a little more at a better price ($475).

My wife saw me pull it out of the box and couldn't believe the size of this "power strip".  It really is huge and heavy!  I don't really think it did much for the DVD picture quality, but it does provide a blacker background for the audio.  I highs seem slightly more extended as well.  I haven't had it long enough to do much else with it and it hasn't made me a total believer in passive power conditioning, but I must admit there is something different.

So far I have the turntable, phono pre, DVD player, receiver, and DTV box plugged into it.  Looking forward to getting my 2 channel tube pre this week.

SC

What does a blacker background for the audio mean? And what is the theory behind this new power conditioner?

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 06:46:28 PM »
The behind the soundstage it is now cleaner, like nothing there (more depth).  I'm guessing this is due to high freq. noise being eliminated.  I see no decrease in dynamics and increased air on the top end. 

Nothing new to the power strip.  Has filtering, outlet isolation, surge, spike, etc.  I'm very happy with the purchase and would think the Duet would be just as nice.

www.PSaudio.com

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 07:57:18 PM »
The behind the soundstage it is now cleaner, like nothing there (more depth).  I'm guessing this is due to high freq. noise being eliminated.  I see no decrease in dynamics and increased air on the top end. 

Nothing new to the power strip.  Has filtering, outlet isolation, surge, spike, etc.  I'm very happy with the purchase and would think the Duet would be just as nice.

www.PSaudio.com

Thats really cool to bad the theory is all wrong... There is very little high frequencey that gets in to your equipment from the AC line why? Because the power transfomrer inside your AC powered equipment does not have a very good bandwidth..... But for $500 it sure looks nice.

Chris

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 08:36:33 PM »

www.PSaudio.com

Thats really cool to bad the theory is all wrong... There is very little high frequencey that gets in to your equipment from the AC line why? Because the power transfomrer inside your AC powered equipment does not have a very good bandwidth..... But for $500 it sure looks nice.

Chris

yeah power conditioners are a big hoax in the audio world  :o.....I have heard good (blue circle) and average (monster) and they both make a difference...

www.PSaudio.com

thanks Scott...I probably need to get a Duet...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 08:39:27 PM by nickgregory »

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 09:02:20 PM »

www.PSaudio.com

Chris

Well I guess that very little noise is being filtered (high or low). The digital gear is always a problem and the one reason I wanted on a dedicated line and it helped.  I figured I would keep the digital plugged into the dedicated outlet even with the Quintet, but tried it with the digital gear plugged in and it sounds just as good.

Some are of the opinion that these things don't work and I was as well, but this thing helped my system.  I will be sending it off to a guy to measure the line distortion with and without dimmer switches on (line noise).  I will post the results when I get them.

And yes it does look cool!

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 09:47:44 PM »

www.PSaudio.com

That's really cool to bad the theory is all wrong... There is very little high frequency that gets in to your equipment from the AC line why? Because the power transformer inside your AC powered equipment does not have a very good bandwidth..... But for $500 it sure looks nice.

Chris

yeah power conditioners are a big hoax in the audio world  :o.....I have heard good (blue circle) and average (monster) and they both make a difference...

www.PSaudio.com

thanks Scott...I probably need to get a Duet...

Actually I have been using power conditioners for years from Companies like ETA,Triplight..... Real power conditioners... They dont claim to make your sound stage darker they just work.. I never said anything about power conditioners. What I did say was there theory of high frequency attenuation was wrong...

Chris

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 09:50:10 PM »

Actually I have been using power conditioners for years from Companies like ETA,Triplight..... Real power conditioners... They dont claim to make your sound stage darker they just work..

could you define what you mean by "work"? Thanks :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 10:35:52 PM »

Actually I have been using power conditioners for years from Companies like ETA,Triplight..... Real power conditioners... They dont claim to make your sound stage darker they just work..

I think the inference is pretty clear Tim :P

So glad that Tripp Lite and ETA are the reference standard in power conditioning....someone should tell the rest of the audio world so they can stop wasting their time and $$$ with PS Audio, Audio Magic, Panamax, Richard Gray and the like

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 12:16:51 AM »

I mean they actually condition the power coming in preventing spikes and brown outs and sagging. They dont claim to filter out things to increase your soundstage. I think if you listen to anything long enough you can start to hear differences.. I wish that someone could do a sample recording of a device plugged into the "magic" power bar and a recording with the device not plugged into the "magic" power bar and we can all have a objective listen. I think its a shame how company's provide magic solutions with no real data to back them up. No objective listing tests. I make audio products, I make some preamps and some microphones. I am not claiming that anyone of my products will or can improve your "sound stage" but if I did you can bet I would have blind listing tests to back my claims up...

I too am not looking to get into a debate. This is what I believe not everyone thinks the same as me. Some people believe in things that I dont. That does not make them wrong, but I just wish before people go spending money on expensive power bars that someone do an objective test, so others dont end up wasting there hard earned money. But that's just me.

I am sorry to have commented on this, I can see we dont agree that's unfortunate. I was not trying to call anyone here stupid. Just pointing out a few things..

Good luck with your systems if it makes you happy to buy these things great! I would love to hear a recording sample of the differences you are experiencing!

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com