Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Li-ON battery charge question  (Read 1832 times)

jimmc

• Trade Count: (0)
Li-ON battery charge question
« on: January 23, 2004, 08:49:46 PM »
I've just spent almost 2 hours reading through this site and the njb3tapers newsgroup on yahoo and havent found the answer to this question yet. Hoping for some help:

I just got a JB3 and purchased 1 extra Li-ON battery for it. Do I need to run the batteries down to dead before I charge them fully, or do they not have a "memory" to the cells the way a NiCad battery does?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I couldnt find a thread that cleared it up. On the yahoo group people posting say yes and no, with no resolution to the question.

Thanks in advance,
jimmc

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
Re:Li-ON battery charge question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 01:17:53 AM »
You don't have to worry about it.  Li-ion batteries are supposed to store better with a partial charge so that's probably how it comes.  You can charge it up right when you get it and don't worry about it after that.  No memory effects.  Time, heat and # of cycles are the things that influence the life of your batteries.

here's a good link
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

jimmc

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 01:24:51 AM »
Thanks for the info dklein. You've helped me out twice today already.   ;D

+T
(I'll hit ya with the +T in 12 hours)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 01:25:57 AM by jimmc »

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 12:23:36 PM »
With all the hubub about the batteries in Apple's iPod, I've seen a lot posted about how to properly treat Lithium-Ion batteries.  Granted, the iPod uses Lithium polymer, I think (is that even different?), but it seems that it's actually a bad thing to regularly run the batteries down completely.  The only reason you would do so is to re-calibrate the battery meter every once in a while.

I didn't read david's link, but it probably says something about this.

J

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com