Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: on stage matrix advice.  (Read 1826 times)

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
on stage matrix advice.
« on: February 03, 2004, 11:33:49 PM »
hey i'm playing a gig this saturday night, and i was gonna run a matrix, but was kinda wondering what to do. can't decide.  i have 2 mixers i'm gonna be running for house speakers, and stage monitors, the monitors are gonna be mono, but a stereo house mix.  

its 2 acoustic players, and maybe some hand drums, and gotta have my digeredoo.  

i'll be running 391's+SBD > wmod ua-5(be here thursday) > Dell pc, and my dat.  i was thinking of running them onstage DFC in front of us at XY 115, unless someone thinks something else would be better.

the room has really high ceilings, like 20 ft in the coffee shop, and we'll be set up in the corner.  but here is what i have to work with, excuse the quick ms paint pics..  but i can set up in either way. or something else.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re:on stage matrix advice.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 11:37:49 PM »
or i can set up in the corner.  this might be better for sound throughout the place.  oh yea, before i forget. i'll be running Toa 15 in. 2 way mains, and a 12 in. 2 way floor monitor.  the mains will be running through a roland 150 watt per channel stereo board.  i might almost eliminate the floor monitor, and do side monitors instead through another amp i have, and run an aux out to some smaller speakers that are from a fender passport.  

thanks for the help.  

matt

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

cpclark

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 01:25:48 AM »
i htink youll be good either way, you might be blasting the counter with the corner setup and you might get some more room reverberation from the corner, as it might have an echo effect, if it was me, i'd rather set up straight facing the audiece and XY or ORTF would be good for onstage

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 01:43:57 AM »
yea, but see all along the wall on the left there are booths, and a table directly in from of where we'd be playing at. as well as other booths and tables by the counter. so i don't know.  i think i might go for the corner thing.. we'll see. we get to set up early, so we'll try them both if possible before the show.  

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 02:13:45 AM »
I'd take your SBD mix, and then put each mic on either side of the stage (next to the mains) facing out to the crowd.. I've done this many times and it sounds great, you get the tone of the room and crowd/ambient noise as well... you might have to work with positioning to get the delay sounding right..

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 07:22:04 PM »
yea thats what i originally wanted to do, but was worried about the delay like you said.  i don't know how much time i'm gonna have to set up, i think since i'm playing at 8, i might be able to go in there around 3-4 while there is little, to nobody there, and work on it a bit.  we'll see, i think i might just try them onstage dfc in front of me. i think it would be much easier that way.  i was thinking if it sounds good from where i'm sitting i'll set up right in between us, facing away to get the room sound.  I think we'll take a couple set breaks as we will probably play about 3 hrs, and maybe switch over, and take what i get from it.  

I also might just run off the SBD, then have run the ua-5 to my dell.  I might have my good friend and coworker that we are building his studio together, come, he wanted to see whats up with it, and he might have some advice for us too.  he's more studio stuff, not live, but i'm sure he could do it as he was a touring musician for years.  we'll see. i might go listen to some music in the room there tonight, and see if there are any trouble spots.  thanks for the help, +t.

matt

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 08:12:06 PM »
well good luck and +t for taping your own gig, I have taped my bands' last 20-some gigs and I have yet to get a good/complete tape!  I'd recruit my friends' for at least setting the levels and such, but not only are they drunks but I was able to observe at least one beer spill for every gathering we had.  wouldn't want to have to punch someone!  :)
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 09:10:21 PM »
yea... i only have a couple people i know i could show how, and trust to run it, one being an audiophile friend of mine.. but yea, hopefully it will come out cool, i'm working on setting it up for a matrix here tonight, so i dont' have to worry about it as much at the show.  thanks man +T back at ya

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com