Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Finally got a digi SLR, BUT (help needed)  (Read 2906 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Finally got a digi SLR, BUT (help needed)
« on: January 27, 2007, 10:59:58 AM »
So. Finally bit the bullet and got a Canon Rebel XT.   I bought body-only since I have the oem USM 28-70 zoom lens from my35mm  Elan 2E and an older EF 80-200; in fact the whole point of this venture was to be able to use the lenses.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work - the Error 99 popped up immediately. Googling reveals that this is a catchall error code (and also that a LOT of people have had problems - how come this stuff doesn't come up when you're reading reviews and researching beforehand?!  I've been reading up on this for MONTHS and never encountered comments on it before). I worked through all the diagnostics and fixes I could find on the net - and there are a lot! - and as far as I can tell it's related to the popup flash.   Camera itself, CF and nonflash pix are fine.  The lenses (i'm relieved to note) work  just fine in natural light, but as soon as it requires the flash it goes straight to error 99. 

Obviously, I'll be in touch with Beach Camera from whom I bought once they're open again tomorrow, but did any of our resident camera gurus ever encounter this problem, or have any helpful comments or advice as to how to proceed? I'm hoping Beach will simply replpace with another unit but....   It's new, btw, w/USA warrantee and all cards pkging.  I'm REALLY glad I spent the extra and didn't go used.

Any comments and advice welcomed. Thanks y'all!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 11:04:34 AM by divamum »
DPA4060
R09

Offline phanophish

• Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: Finally got a digi SLR, BUT (help needed)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 12:37:22 PM »
I seem to remember that error usually being caused by a lens that is incompatible with the newer camera bodies.  This is one of the complaints about Canon, they tend to obsolete their lenses periodically.   

http://www.richardsnotes.org/archives/2005/04/29/50mm-lens-contact-points/

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 06:40:54 PM »
Thanks.

Actually, it turns out to be a faulty unit. By way of diagnostics, I took my lenses up to Best Buy and put them on a demo XT and they worked perfectly so.... Not the problem.   

Beach Camera are exchanging it for another unit.  If I have any further difficulties I'll post back (if only for informational posterity!) but it looks to be resolved in the meantime unless I get REALLY unlucky!
DPA4060
R09

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:06:44 AM »
Well good to know at least that your lenses are OK.  That would be a bummer.  Enjoy the new camera....

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?

Offline divamum

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 09:57:34 AM »
Yay! Replacement works perfectly - am thrilled (and very relieved!)

Given all the photo gear/photo dealer horror stories one hears I was a bit paranoid about it all, but my worries were totally unfounded and it was absolutely fine. And I have to put in a plug for Beach Camera - there was no problem of any kind and they were extremely helpful and responsive.

Now just waiting for my new 2g CF card to arrive.... (making do with a small one from my point-n-shoot for right now)
DPA4060
R09

Offline phanophish

• ImageLume Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 12:47:04 PM »
Yay! Replacement works perfectly - am thrilled (and very relieved!)

Given all the photo gear/photo dealer horror stories one hears I was a bit paranoid about it all, but my worries were totally unfounded and it was absolutely fine. And I have to put in a plug for Beach Camera - there was no problem of any kind and they were extremely helpful and responsive.

Now just waiting for my new 2g CF card to arrive.... (making do with a small one from my point-n-shoot for right now)

Beach is generally regared as a pretty good camera dealer. I've usually used B&H and never had a probelm with them.  You definetly need to check out camera resellers, it is one of those industrys that has some horrible dealers.  Resellerratings.com is your friend.  Enjoy the new camera.....

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 03:58:52 PM »
Glad to hear it worked out. When I first read this I was like WTF, that should work shouldn't it? All of the old lenses should work, it's just the newer EF-S only lenses won't work on full-frame cameras I thought.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com