Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 input woes  (Read 114619 times)

Offline pelusa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Edirol R-09 input woes
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 09:57:17 PM »

[/quote]

You can record using input provided you have something from the mics converting the signal first to line level
[/quote]

What item would I use to convert the signal to line level?  Thanks for your help, I live pretty isolated in another country, I just hope I have something in my equipment that I can use for this.

I contacted Roland through the Edirol web site, they don't even have the R09 on the product drop down list, and now that I read the fine print it says the product had to be registered within 10 days.  There's no way I can call them, I don't know what to do.  I tested the unit with all the tests I could think of while I was on vacation and it worked fine, but I didn't have my external mike with me, and how was I to know it was going to fail.  I sure wish I would have heard about the mic input problem first. 

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 10:03:44 PM »
No, you need an external mic pre-amp that will output to line level for your R-09

You can record using input provided you have something from the mics converting the signal first to line level
[/quote]

What item would I use to convert the signal to line level?  Thanks for your help, I live pretty isolated in another country, I just hope I have something in my equipment that I can use for this.

I contacted Roland through the Edirol web site, they don't even have the R09 on the product drop down list, and now that I read the fine print it says the product had to be registered within 10 days.  There's no way I can call them, I don't know what to do.  I tested the unit with all the tests I could think of while I was on vacation and it worked fine, but I didn't have my external mike with me, and how was I to know it was going to fail.  I sure wish I would have heard about the mic input problem first. 
[/quote]

Offline pelusa

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 10:41:00 PM »
I just got mhy R-09
To test the mic input I assume best way would to shove a jack in and out of the input rapidly to see how it fares (before the 30 day return expires). :)?

you'd better register it right away. 

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 10:55:35 PM »
I just got mhy R-09
To test the mic input I assume best way would to shove a jack in and out of the input rapidly to see how it fares (before the 30 day return expires). :)?

you'd better register it right away. 

Doesn't matter, in the USA registration has nothing to do with the manufacturer warranty. 

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 10:56:46 PM »
Yep, I just looked at my registration card. At the top it says:

"This card is for product registration purposes. Your failure to complete and return this card does not diminish your warrranty rights"

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »
Well no mic input connection problems here. I am taping now using mic input and vigorously inserting & removing the plug to test it, no problems so far :)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »

I am taping now using mic input and vigorously inserting & removing the plug to test it, no problems so far :)

wow, i thought you were joking in your previous post.

i'd hesitate to do anything "vigorously" to the r09, especially anything involving the input jacks.  your sob story will be next in this thread.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 04:04:20 PM »

I am taping now using mic input and vigorously inserting & removing the plug to test it, no problems so far :)

wow, i thought you were joking in your previous post.

i'd hesitate to do anything "vigorously" to the r09, especially anything involving the input jacks.  your sob story will be next in this thread.

Only would be a sob story if I don't do this BEFORE my 30 day return point expires.  IMHO burning in a new device is a smart thing to do. I rather it break during the 30 day return rather than dealing with a warranty repair.

just my $0.02

Offline thamblet

• Taperssection Newbie
  • ccm4
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 04:26:42 PM »
My R-09 Line-In jack died also. Only the right channel works consistantly now. 6 field uses. Purchased in June. I used an angled connector with no abuse. Am returning it through Sweetwater to Roland with zero hassles from Sweetwater sofar. I hope it all gets resolved because I really like this unit.
Schoeps CCM4 > Aerco > R-09
Schoeps CCM4 > Aerco > SBM-1 > D8

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 04:44:27 PM »
My R-09 Line-In jack died also. Only the right channel works consistantly now. 6 field uses. Purchased in June. I used an angled connector with no abuse. Am returning it through Sweetwater to Roland with zero hassles from Sweetwater sofar. I hope it all gets resolved because I really like this unit.

Wow. I wonder if Edirol had a quality control problem a couple months ago?  Anyone with a newer unit from the last month with this issue?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006, 11:33:36 PM »

Wow. I wonder if Edirol had a quality control problem a couple months ago?  Anyone with a newer unit from the last month with this issue?

I am wondering the same thing.  I called prodigitalinc.com late last week.  Since they are long time known for in and out of warranty deck repairs (and now Oade mod's) I asked about the R-09 only to learn they JUST ordered a bunch of input jacks from Roland for R-09 deck!  Before I could inquire further the phone rang there and very busy owner Paul Plotnick had to move on promising a return call. 

Hoping a follow-up call may give some insight on just what is going wrong with those jacks.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 12:39:23 AM »
The problem I had with my input jack was that it literally broke (the jack became super loose). But it sounds like some people aren't necessarily having a loose jack, but no signal? Very curious situation indeed.

Since my first R-09 input jack broke the very first time I plugged in a battery box, which was at a show, I wanted to test out the replacement unit that Roland sent me.  So the day I got my replacement unit from Roland, I put a mini-plug into both the Line and Mic Input jacks and used a fair amount of pressure on them to see if they were weak. But they weren't. It makes me wonder if there's been some slight internal design change, or if there was simply a bad batch (maybe rushing the production to try to get the first couple of batches of the R-09s out there???).

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 12:45:28 AM »
The problem I had with my input jack was that it literally broke (the jack became super loose). But it sounds like some people aren't necessarily having a loose jack, but no signal? Very curious situation indeed.

Since my first R-09 input jack broke the very first time I plugged in a battery box, which was at a show, I wanted to test out the replacement unit that Roland sent me.  So the day I got my replacement unit from Roland, I put a mini-plug into both the Line and Mic Input jacks and used a fair amount of pressure on them to see if they were weak. But they weren't. It makes me wonder if there's been some slight internal design change, or if there was simply a bad batch (maybe rushing the production to try to get the first couple of batches of the R-09s out there???).

I put a fair amount of pressure while continually inserting, removing, and reinserting to the mic-in. No problems at all.
DId this for the line-in as well, no problems so far at all :)

Will play more with it for the next couple of days and try to "break-it" through normal  use

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2006, 12:48:52 AM »

I am wondering the same thing.  I called prodigitalinc.com late last week.  Since they are long time known for in and out of warranty deck repairs (and now Oade mod's) I asked about the R-09 only to learn they JUST ordered a bunch of input jacks from Roland for R-09 deck!  Before I could inquire further the phone rang there and very busy owner Paul Plotnick had to move on promising a return call. 

Hoping a follow-up call may give some insight on just what is going wrong with those jacks.

Thanks so much! I think we all would greatly appreciate knowing if this was just a bad batch and if I need to keep sharp eye on it the next 30 days! :D

As I wrote above no problem thus far with my 4 day old unit.  It seems the early summer units had problems. :(

:D P
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 12:52:34 AM by lbgspam »

Offline Frosty

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 12:06:01 PM »
Regarding units purchased in June-July, FWIW - I purchased an R-09 from minidisco last June.  So far, so good using AT822 mic-in.   It's a good tip to be gentle with the input jacks - thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com