Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Greetings... my new mic preamp.  (Read 93132 times)

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Greetings... my new mic preamp.
« Reply #270 on: August 06, 2008, 06:55:05 PM »

Yes, I have protection diodes on the DC input jack to protect against reverse polarity.

(Not to be confused with the diode protection I also have at the output XLRs, which is meant to protect my pre when for example you plugged the outputs of my pre to the inputs of another pre/console by mistake and turned on 48V phantom on the other pre, which then goes to my pre via the backend. Of course, this scenario wouldn't happen to tapers but more likely for someone in a studio.)

Actually it is highly likely if someone is using your pre with an Erirol R44 or other recorder with phantom (Fostex, Marantz etc).

BTW: What happens if I short XLR output pins 1 & 3 (I know my MixPre would not like this as it has an active balanced output)...

digifish
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:02:06 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2008, 10:22:20 PM »
Actually it is highly likely if someone is using your pre with an Erirol R44 or other recorder with phantom (Fostex, Marantz etc).

Oh okay... good to know. Either way, our backend is covered :)

BTW: What happens if I short XLR output pins 1 & 3 (I know my MixPre would not like this as it has an active balanced output)...

Like when you connect to an unbalanced input?  No problemo.  The drivers I'm using, according to the manufacturer, "uses a dual feedback-loop design that prevents the excessive ground currents typical of cross-coupled output stages (CCOS) when clipping into single-ended loads."

I've shorted these outputs accidentally during the course of my working with my SC-1 pre, and have not had any driver failures...

But if you read Rane Notes interconnection guide, use pins 2 and 3 when hooking up to unbalanced inputs. That's the recommended method... rather than shorting 1 and 3 and using both as gnd and pin 2 as the positive. You get better signal if you use pins 2 and 3 to connect to your unbalanced inputs.

UPDATE:
Finally fixed the phantom power error on my PCB design. I soldered the (2) 6.8K resistors on the bottom of the PCB and it was just a short bridge to the trafo inputs. It's a kludge, but it works. :)

OKAY.... did some testing... connected my power hungry FET condenser mic, set the battery to 4.5Volts and no go... my FET mic wouldn't come alive... 28V phantom power is not enough for my FET mic. I can hear a tiny faint signal, but no go.

Set the battery to 5.0Volts, turned on phantom power and IT'S ALIVE.  The FET mic works! Nice and clear....  6.0Volts and higher, and it's smooth sailing. 

Note: Less power hungry condenser mics will work with 4.5VDC input to the pre.

SOFT START PHANTOM POWER

I can't remember if I mentioned this but my preamp is equipped with "soft-start" phantom power. Normally, when you turn on phantom power, 48volts is suddenly applied, full ON, in a split-instant,  to your expensive mics. And you hear a big THUMP/THUD on your speakers. 

Instead with my soft start phantom power, 48volts is gradually applied to your expensive mics. Like this:

Depending on your condenser mic, it may take 2-3 seconds for it to come alive... and you also don't get that nasty popping/thumping/thudding sound.

BTW... tested this preamp with my FET mic... Ooooohhhhh WOW! It's thick and phat, very solid lows but the high frequencies are still clear. I really really like it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 10:25:10 PM by fivefishdiy »
SC-1 Mic Preamp Kits... www.fivefishstudios.com
Photo Rig: Canon EOS30D, 70-200 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 50mmf1.8, 10-22mm Wide angle, Sigma 200mm Macro, Harddisk CF card reader/backup
Video: Sony HDV HDR-HC5

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #272 on: August 06, 2008, 10:33:13 PM »
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention...

We now have pretty lights.

Photo Rig: Canon EOS30D, 70-200 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 50mmf1.8, 10-22mm Wide angle, Sigma 200mm Macro, Harddisk CF card reader/backup

Online WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #273 on: August 06, 2008, 10:51:43 PM »
OH MY GOD, IT'S ALIVE!!!!!  IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #274 on: August 06, 2008, 11:19:36 PM »

Like when you connect to an unbalanced input?  No problemo.  The drivers I'm using, according to the manufacturer, "uses a dual feedback-loop design that prevents the excessive ground currents typical of cross-coupled output stages (CCOS) when clipping into single-ended loads."

I've shorted these outputs accidentally during the course of my working with my SC-1 pre, and have not had any driver failures...

But if you read Rane Notes interconnection guide, use pins 2 and 3 when hooking up to unbalanced inputs. That's the recommended method... rather than shorting 1 and 3 and using both as gnd and pin 2 as the positive. You get better signal if you use pins 2 and 3 to connect to your unbalanced inputs.

Great thanks for the follow-up. Nice touch with the soft-start phantom too. So it will sizzle-in rather than thump :)

digifish

- What's this knob do?

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #275 on: August 06, 2008, 11:55:02 PM »
So it will sizzle-in rather than thump

Yup... 48Volt fantom phizzle shizzle.

Wha-cha gonna do with all that junk, all that thump.
No thump, no thump in my lovely pre-amp. 

:)

Offline Phiegze

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #276 on: August 07, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »
I want it I want it I WANT IT~!

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #277 on: August 07, 2008, 12:04:09 AM »
WOW! Can't wait to get my hands on the real thing.

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #278 on: August 07, 2008, 07:11:53 AM »
Blue pre w/ lights! me like ;D   ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

stevetoney

« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2008, 07:58:47 AM »
I'm 50 years old, but I'm damn well 100% sure if I'd have been doing this project, I'd have pee'ed my pants at the moment of truth!

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
I'm 50 years old, but I'm damn well 100% sure if I'd have been doing this project, I'd have pee'ed my pants at the moment of truth!

:yack:

Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2008, 12:28:35 PM »
Carry on, can't wait to have the opportunity to buy this.

Ditto - I'm looking forward to this Fall / Winter arrival on my doorstep...

:headphones:

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2008, 05:46:12 PM »
Just doing some abuse testing... hitting and tapping it with a pen while turned on, dropping it with phantom power ON, etc... just to see if any problem comes up.

(PLEASE NOTE: I'm NOT suggesting you treat the pre with abuse.)

I think I found one issue.... mainly on the phantom power DC-DC section. I need to remove anything "mechanical" in the PSU section that is prone to minute vibration... so the IC sockets will have to go.  It's causing some "popping" sounds when PP is on, and the PSU/board is tapped/dropped.  (The IC sockets just rely on mechanical pressure/force to make contact with the IC chip's legs.) ... the trimmers seems to be just fine... so they'll stay for now... I think.

The popping sound doesn't happen if PP is OFF. So I know the problem is caused by something in the 48V PSU.

I'll build a second prototype of the switchboard and test my theory. This may delay launch of the pre. How long? I don't know. We'll see how the new testing goes.

Sorry for the delay....

Offline fivefishdiy

• Taperssection Regular
    • FiveFish Studios
« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2008, 06:25:07 PM »
Weird... I guess I hammered down that chip so much into the IC sockets, now it's not causing any popping sound anymore.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2008, 07:46:52 PM »
Weird... I guess I hammered down that chip so much into the IC sockets, now it's not causing any popping sound anymore.

Cool.

I'd like to have the option to swap out IC's.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com