Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: latest thinking on 722 festival power?  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
latest thinking on 722 festival power?
« on: April 25, 2006, 07:10:05 PM »
I know there have been some other threads about powering the 722 but I don't recall any recent discussion.   Bonaroo is coming and I'm wondering what is the consensus on festival power.   
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: latest thinking on 722 festival power?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 04:50:20 AM »
I´m not sure there is any special festival power. (Apart from beer perhaps  :)  )

Anyway, if you get two 6000mAh batteries together they would give you more than 10 hours continous recording, should last a festival.

Do not buy the Sony ones branded InfoLithium unless you want to pay serious brand premium (and for the InfoLithium feature that the 722 does not us).

You could bring a car charger cable if you wish, nothing fancy as the 722 can accept the nominal 12V directly. It might be a good idea to buy the cable from SD as it is a bit of a pain to solder in the very tiny power contact.

Gunnar

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 08:00:30 PM »
I'm worried 10hrs isn't really enough.  I guess I can get another 6Ah battery to add to the current pair and then charge in camp.  That would let me swap batteries early and not have to time the discharge closely.  You know how the sun affects your percetion of time ;-)

I was sort of thinking about external packs feeding via the hirose connector.  With a decent sized external pack, I could wire it up in the morning and never have to change power until I get back to camp 14 hours later.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:38:02 PM »
I'm worried 10hrs isn't really enough.  I guess I can get another 6Ah battery to add to the current pair and then charge in camp.  That would let me swap batteries early and not have to time the discharge closely.  You know how the sun affects your percetion of time ;-)

I was sort of thinking about external packs feeding via the hirose connector.  With a decent sized external pack, I could wire it up in the morning and never have to change power until I get back to camp 14 hours later.

i remember reading about something that Moke did like that - maybe rewired the wall-wart or something like that to hook it up to a SLA - no clue which thread it was in, i'll see if i can dig it up. Only pain would be lugging around lead IMO.

How long is the typical recharge length for the Sony 6600 mAh batteries? I've only needed to charge for the initial cycle so far which was about 4-5 hours. I've got 3 6600 mAh and the 4600 that came stock with the unit. I'm thinking I should be fine for power each day but just concerned how long it's gonna take me to recharge each day/night.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 08:38:32 PM »
Michael, if you want to wire up a Hirose connector, you can have my 12V 12Ah SLA for the cost of shipping. I've been trying to get rid of it for a while. You'd have to remove the internal battery while using this, b/c 12V isn't enough to charge another battery (or wire the connector so it doesn't charge - I think SD posted something about this once).
Out of the game … for now?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 08:49:03 PM »
this cable is pricey but could save the hassle of having to wire up that little ass Hirose connector - B & H has a few different options for cables with the 4 pin Hirose - if you could find a Li-Ion with 10V or more output they seem to have cables that appear to hook up to that as well

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=387046&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 08:55:47 PM »
this could be a better option (taken from the end of mokes thread)

would reduce the need for hauling lead

Sony AC-V700A - fozzy says he grabbed just the dummy cell on ebay for like $5

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 11:01:07 AM »
this could be a better option (taken from the end of mokes thread)

would reduce the need for hauling lead

Sony AC-V700A - fozzy says he grabbed just the dummy cell on ebay for like $5

Yea real cheap if you can find em on ebay, I forget the part number.  I now have 3 7.4ah li-ion packs home brewed from 18 2400mah 3.7V cells from batteryspace.  I also have an Astroflight 109 charger that runs off the car and re-charges each pack in 45-90mins depending on how far down they are.  I get around 24 hours off the 3 packs before I start thinking about looking for juice, probably could get a lot more (Phantom on; LCD/LED @ 50-100%)
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 05:20:23 PM »
The small portable honda generators supposedly output a perfect sine wave which they claim is perfect for running electronics and such. I have considered renting 1 for 3 day festivals

they are a little pricey like 800.00 on ebay but rental probably wouldn't be that bad and u would have to look for juice or kickdown to a vendor etc. also a hell of a way to have a good time.

unrealted. last year at vibes guys were on the side of the soundboard (they have AC for everyone) and had a nice blender for making frozen margaritas etc. I thought it was a great use of soundboard power :)

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline phr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 05:03:04 AM »
Given what a 722 costs I'd just buy a pile of 6000 mah batteries and be done with it.  Type "NP-F960" into ebay and you should find them (non-Sony) for around 30 bucks each.  For a 3 day festival 30 hours should be enough, right?  It sounds like each battery does about 5 hours, so you'd need six of them, not that big a deal.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 12:04:51 PM »
np-f970 are the high capacity ones.

as far a using generics - a few people have had issues here with the connections coming out of the battery. if you check ebay you can score new genuine sony batteries for about $50

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »
I use 3 of the 970's - combine those with a dual-battery charger and you should be fine (assuming you can recharge).

I've had the problem with connectors coming out.  Only one failed due to this, the others I added a drop of lock-tite and stuck the loose connectors back in - never to happen again.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com