Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth recording and metal detectors  (Read 10449 times)

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Stealth recording and metal detectors
« on: February 08, 2018, 12:23:27 AM »
I know no one wants to talk about this but i had an interesting situation recently. i don't go to many big indoor shows anymore. i went to one recently where they were wanding people. i had an edirol r9, core batt box and dpa 4061s. i knew the core box would probably trigger the wand so i had it in my hand. i had the mics in a ziplock in one pocket with keys and the r9 in another pocket with a flip phone. the keys and flip phone set it off, i took them out. the wand kept going off. turns out the dpa mics and the r9 triggered it. one by one i pulled everything out and kept them in my hands. the guard didn't notice so i got everything in. my profession requires me to go thru metal detectors and wands all the time. i usually leave everything in pockets just to see what sets these things off. sometimes nothing goes off and sometimes it does. good thing most shows i go to i can bring in and do what i want. but i might have to rethink big shows.

Online lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
Re: Stealth recording and metal detectors
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 10:26:04 AM »
Those things can be nutty. I had a toothbrush set a wand off one time (don't ask)
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 08:25:29 PM »
I could just look this up myself, but am not going to...SO, can't they calibrate how sensitive they want the wands/detectors to be?  Or do you have to buy different wands for more invasive searches?

I don't stealth, but through airports and things I usually take off/out of my pockets the absolute bare minimum since most of the time these things aren't that sensitive.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:33:27 PM »
can't they calibrate how sensitive they want the wands/detectors to be?

Yes, sometimes they will go off over nothing, sometimes you could have a large metal object and they won't detect it. Furthermore, sometimes the people running them don't know what they are doing with them. Sometimes the operators are getting paid $8/hr and simply wave them up and down people moving through the line and do nothing as they go off. Basically, you just never know if they will sound or not.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:22:30 PM »
My chapstick set one off back in May. Was the weirdest thing. Tried twice, took it out, tried again, was fine

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »
You have to use the best tricks you have to make it through the Spokane Arena metal detectors.  Since I'm done with this stuff I'll relate a situation we encountered last year.  Made it through many venues in the PNW without a problem.  Spokane Arena ding me twice with well placed items I've used over the years.  My daughter's purse was handed to the person working the metal detector and they  handed it back to her--on the other side.  It didn't even go through the detector.  For all we know she could have had a pistol in there--and there might be one in there most of the time.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
My daughter's purse was handed to the person working the metal detector and they  handed it back to her--on the other side.  It didn't even go through the detector.

I've been to shows where they closely checked every purse - and that was it.  I had a videocam inside each inner coat pocket and a full audio rig in one of the outside pockets.  I had no worries though, because they weren't checking anything but purses.  I was kind of shocked that none of the women questioned this arrangement (at least, I haven't ever seen them do it). 
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Online lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »
My daughter's purse was handed to the person working the metal detector and they  handed it back to her--on the other side.  It didn't even go through the detector.

I've been to shows where they closely checked every purse - and that was it.  I had a videocam inside each inner coat pocket and a full audio rig in one of the outside pockets.  I had no worries though, because they weren't checking anything but purses.  I was kind of shocked that none of the women questioned this arrangement (at least, I haven't ever seen them do it).

Last year at a Live Nation shed in town, they allowed food and water. They rifled my GF's pocketbook, but didn't even want to look in the food/bev bag. Even when she held it open for them
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline bonghitwillie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 07:09:40 PM »
i am back. would a small lead bag stop the mags?

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 01:33:38 AM »
All this is very rare to UK tapers. I've gone to scores of gigs a year for over 40 years, and only been searched once.  During the IRA bombing campaign in London in 1991. Put my gear in my daughter's bag. Guy spotted it, but was only interested in whether it was Semtex or not. Never been challenged for taping, although oddly a few times for using a (proper) camera, while surrounded by iPhoners waving their devices around. The only time I've had a request to tape turned down was last year by a US artist. One well-known Scottish singer did ask WHY?, but more because he couldn't understand anyone wanting to listen again. Afterwards, he came up with the setlist and annotated a few changes he'd made, just to make sure I got it right.  I love this hobby. 

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 10:52:53 AM »
All this is very rare to UK tapers. I've gone to scores of gigs a year for over 40 years, and only been searched once.  During the IRA bombing campaign in London in 1991. Put my gear in my daughter's bag. Guy spotted it, but was only interested in whether it was Semtex or not. Never been challenged for taping, although oddly a few times for using a (proper) camera, while surrounded by iPhoners waving their devices around. The only time I've had a request to tape turned down was last year by a US artist. One well-known Scottish singer did ask WHY?, but more because he couldn't understand anyone wanting to listen again. Afterwards, he came up with the setlist and annotated a few changes he'd made, just to make sure I got it right.  I love this hobby.

I taped at a show at a prestigious London venue - albeit one probably more used to classical performances. I was in a rush, I didn't even bother to secrete my kit as per normal procedure. Tried the 'this is what you're looking at' trick, foiled by a quick shake of my bag and the security guy clocking that I had other things in there. Had to take them out, bit by bit, and I was asked what they were. I summoned up all my imagination, and my legendary gift of the gab, and stammered "Err, it's, um, my recording gear".

"Uh-huh" says security guard. Hands me my bag and waves me on through. FFS!
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

ilduclo

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »
if it's a real important  >:D taping job, this might work

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 01:01:00 PM »
if it's a real important  >:D taping job, this might work

Keep sources and methods private.  Discussion of this should be via pm.   

Btw yesterday a tangerine set off the wand.  My mk4s didnt

Offline scrtaper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 02:40:58 PM »
I use the ice bag method in the previous comment alot keeps your sack lunch cool also
Gafell M94w PM750 cards> Rode M5 > Nak CP-1,CP-2,CP-4 >Superlux S502
Ugly Box 2
Sound Devices Mix Pre 6ii>Tascam DR60D MKII > R-09

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 06:18:37 AM »
Somebody bring out David Hasseldorft
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com