Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Geotag your audio files with GPS - cool thing to do?!  (Read 2947 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Geotag your audio files with GPS - cool thing to do?!
« on: July 10, 2008, 04:08:29 AM »
Hey all,

Recently, geotagging your photos for Google Maps or Flickr has taken off big. But I noticed that you can also geotag your audio files.

Maybe that's an overly geeky thing to do, but it could be a fun and useful feature for festivals and outdoor arenas.
If you add the GPS data to your FLACs, others can see in which section or at which stage you were standing.

You can use any type of GPS unit, as long as you bring it to the gig, and sync it with the audio files after uploading.

Here's a third party program that does it for you:
http://www.robogeo.com/home/dictation.asp

Do you see any other pros or cons with doing this? Other than having to schlep more gear to the gig of course  ::)

But if your taping lappy or PDA, a GPS module can easily be added (USB or bluetooth). These days, a lot of mobile phones have built-in GPS too...

Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Geotag your audio files with GPS - cool thing to do?!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »
the website freesound.org has been doing this for quite sometime and recommends it for the field recording files. You can put in your coords or navigate to the location on the map. Its taken for a couple minutes to locate my position but I finally figure out where I was when I recorded it.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.172 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com