Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: video stealth recording?  (Read 19142 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
video stealth recording?
« on: August 03, 2004, 07:09:20 PM »
any advice? I want to know what the easiest way is to record a show without the camera being seen....

Offline Rand0mRoll77

• Taperssection Regular
Re: video stealth recording?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 06:12:35 PM »
get on the balcony

black sweatshirt with a hole in it over your camera

i believe there is a photo & video forum here

Depechemode1993

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 09:20:46 PM »
yeah but nooone really gave me advie when I posted it there. this is ask the tapers forum right???  :-\

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 09:22:23 PM »
I know we have a couple video tapers here, but you may not get many responses as most of us haven't ever recorded video.  Perhaps there's a video taper board online somewhere?  Dunno.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Depechemode1993

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 11:57:04 PM »
I wish I could get some help with this. I used to be just audio but I want to start recording some Audio and Video at the same time! that would be killer. plus at DTE they have some projection screens at curiosa fest and plan on taping the screen.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 02:14:19 AM »
this kinduva a tricky question.  i've talked to a few filmers who;'ve done stealth filming.  unfortunately, there is no big secret amongst big time video stealthers.  how do you tape w/o being seen? you gotta cover the camera, you know that.  how do you shoot between ppl, avoiding heads/bodies? control the variables. get a friend to sit in front of you and bside you.  or buy out the seats. thus you're garuanteed to get good view.  as you may have guessed, i wouldn't use the lcd screen.  that's almost a dead give away.  take a few peeks here and there to check if the cam is still focused on the stage.  zoom in as necessary.  tripods/mono pods help.  you don't need to check if the cam is still lined up or not as much.

from what i've been told filming is really hit or miss. 

i really don't know how ppl like lividz shoots films and makes perfect zooms like every few seconds. 

Depechemode1993

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 02:41:37 PM »
where can I get one of these monopods and how do they work? I have a tripod but stealthing with that would be a daead giveaway..... i tried it ones and got caught with the last song to go....

Offline bossanova

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 06:06:43 PM »
Try  www.pedcopods.com

The ultrapod  resting on your chest will help to steady the camera.

So do people use a black hoody or sweatshirt to hide the camera ?

Wearing the sweatshirt ?
Or just cut a hole in it, and hold the camera while it is in the sweatshirt.

I was thinking if you cut the whole in the hoody hand pouches,
then you could at least use your hands, but the camera needs to be higher,
so it prob cant be while wearing it, unless you cut the hole at chest level.

Offline joolz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 07:08:31 PM »
I'm not very experienced, but I've done a couple of vids in different venues.

Tactics depends on the venue. if it's arena sized, get a seat at the rear dead centre if possible, you can probably put the camera on your thigh (reduces shaking), set up using LCD, and just check occassionally, cover with coat/jumper. If you get brave or have the opportunity you can try a bit more zooming, but generally just get the stage in the shot and leave it be.

If the venue is small and you're on the balcony, well it's much more difficult and the same method don't really work, as you'll need to get the camera as high as possible to get a shot through heads/shoulders (risky, as I know from experience). In which case you'll be better off on the front row (I did play around with putting cam in a sweaty armpit with a hole in a shirt, but never put it into practice)

It really depends on the venue and the position, just be flexible, obviously a tripod/minipod will improve the recording but I would expect they are tricky to set up (but still possible) and give a lack of flexibiity.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 07:12:47 PM by joolz »
DPA4061>[SBM-1]>H120 (rockbox)

Offline bossanova

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 07:19:34 PM »
You can also check this thread, I posted on how I've video'ed stealth.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=43511.msg676045#msg676045

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 01:40:48 PM »
Try a speaker sock to cover the camera.  Some cameras have a red led light that shows that the camera is recording cover it with a piece of gaffers tape.  It is pretty tricky.  Sometimes people around you get really annoyed that there is video there.  Best to be in the middle of a section as you are less likely to have ushers/security see you.  Front ro balcony is ideal.  Holding the camera w/o a monopod sucks.  Even though it is lightweight after 10 -15 minutes in the same position muscles start to give way and produce high amounts of lactic acid causing arms to shake involuntarily...hard to avoid. :D

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 08:14:52 PM »
Try a speaker sock to cover the camera.  Some cameras have a red led light that shows that the camera is recording cover it with a piece of gaffers tape.  It is pretty tricky.  Sometimes people around you get really annoyed that there is video there.  Best to be in the middle of a section as you are less likely to have ushers/security see you.  Front ro balcony is ideal.  Holding the camera w/o a monopod sucks.  Even though it is lightweight after 10 -15 minutes in the same position muscles start to give way and produce high amounts of lactic acid causing arms to shake involuntarily...hard to avoid. :D

the red light thing is pretty trivial.  in new sonys you can just make sure they never turn on in the menu.  it's under recording lamp.

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 08:43:37 PM »
i was merely sharing some thoughts :'(

Offline bossanova

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 10:51:30 PM »
What's a Speaker Sock ?

Black foam or cloth tube ??

Offline gngrbrdman13

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2005, 11:35:54 AM »
A speaker sock is the thin, black cover that is stapled to the cover on a speaker to protect the cones.  I like them b/c they are thin and easy to manage.  A sweatshirt/t shirt is too bulky.

dd

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com