Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 83494 times)

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #285 on: July 10, 2008, 11:06:39 AM »
much better on this monitor.

yeah, I kind of took a liking to primes. Actually the only zoom I have is the 17-40. You'll love that lens!  Next lens will probably be the 70-200 f/4.

When I went full frame, I sold my tokina 12-24 ATX f4.   That lens I loved, sharp as a razor.  However, 24mm is now pretty darn wide so I have been getting away with not really needing a superwide except in a few circumstances.  But, wider would be nicer.  Especially really wide  ;D

Im guessing you still have the 10-22mm efs?   hmm.. I cant remember if the efs lenses work on the full frame..  if so, that 10mm on the 5d must be *crazy* wide..
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 11:29:40 AM by eric.B »
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #286 on: July 10, 2008, 11:16:35 AM »
Thinking of switching up my gearbag. I use a 5D and my current lens lineup is 50/1.4, 17-40/4L, 35/2, 70-200/2.8L. I am thinking of dropping the 35/2 as I rarely use it on the full frame body. I could drop others, depending on where I want to go with this.

Some possibilities:
1. 16-35/2.8L, 24-70/2.8L, and keep my 70-200/2.8L (no primes, but the 2.8 on the 5D should handle most indoor environments as well)

2. 24-105/4L IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS, and maybe a 14/2.8L (slower lenses, but adds reach and IS)

3. 14/2.8L, keep the 35/2 and 50/1.4, add an 85/1.8 and keep the 70-200/2.8L (I tend to be bad at zooming "with my feet," but this would improve image quality and probably teach me to be a better photographer)

4. 17-40/4L, keep the 50/1.4, add an 85/1.8 and a 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS (zoom at the extremes, primes in the money range)

Any thoughts on the above or some other combination? I shoot nature/landscapes and urban scenes for artsy stuff and family/friend events for fun.

Definitely need to have a prime or three!   You should check out he 85/1.2 - sick lens on the 5D from what I've seen. But you do have to pay the price. Sounds like the 17-40 should still work fine for what you're shooting. Could always add a 1.4x or 2x for longer reach on the 70-200.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #287 on: July 10, 2008, 11:32:18 AM »
much better on this monitor.

yeah, I kind of took a liking to primes. Actually the only zoom I have is the 17-40. You'll love that lens!  Next lens will probably be the 70-200 f/4.

When I went full frame, I sold my tokina 12-24 ATX f4.   That lens I loved, sharp as a razor.  However, 24mm is now pretty darn wide so I have been getting away with not really needing a superwide except in a few circumstances.  But, wider would be nicer.  Especially really wide  ;D

Im guessing you still dont have the 10-22mm efs?   hmm.. I cant remember if the efs lenses work on the full frame..  if so, that 10mm on the 5d must be *crazy* wide..

never had the 10-22.  Only the 12-24.  I didn't want the plastic feel of the canon ef-s so I went with the solid build of the 12-24.  I was very impressed with that lens.

EF-S lenses only work on crop sensor back.

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #288 on: July 10, 2008, 12:18:22 PM »
Nice, cool shot. There's a natural bridge near Payson, AZ that we used to go to when we lived out there.
Do you have the raw, looks a little dark. Maybe it's just my monitor as I'm on my old linux box right now.

Prime fan here, 50, 85, 135  ;D

That would be the travertine bridge

see those white and yellow specs above the blown out rock in the bottom right portion of the photo, those are people.  Sorry for the crappy photo, took it with a point and shoot and wasn't paying attention to any settings.  I might be going back there this weekend actually, and taking my 20d with me this time.

As for the rocket and lens pen, got them both and both are great.  Good cheap additions to the gear bag.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline AOXOMOXOA

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #289 on: July 10, 2008, 04:03:59 PM »
hello. i shoot with a Canon EOS Rebel XTI, Canon EFS 18-55 mm Kit lens, Canon EF 70-300 mm, Tamron SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR, Canon Speedlite 430EX..

I love it. i shoot pictures of my children, sports and everything else i can.. "all the time" people that know me are pretty much sick of me taking pictures..

i just think its great..
Mirror shatters in formless reflections of matter.

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #290 on: July 10, 2008, 04:28:53 PM »
hello. i shoot with a Canon EOS Rebel XTI, Canon EFS 18-55 mm Kit lens, Canon EF 70-300 mm, Tamron SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR, Canon Speedlite 430EX..

I love it. i shoot pictures of my children, sports and everything else i can.. "all the time" people that know me are pretty much sick of me taking pictures..

i just think its great..

Welcome to TS.com!  I hear (and see) great things from the tammy 17-50.

I'm on "UPS watch" today awaiting some PocketWizards  ;D

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #291 on: July 10, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
Definitely need to have a prime or three!   You should check out he 85/1.2 - sick lens on the 5D from what I've seen. But you do have to pay the price. Sounds like the 17-40 should still work fine for what you're shooting. Could always add a 1.4x or 2x for longer reach on the 70-200.

I have the 1.4x, just forgot about it when I posted. That pretty much does cover me on the long end, as I only lose a stop and keep the full AF capabilities of the 5D. I can't afford the 85/1.2 without selling pretty much everything else. I'm fine with the 1.8 as a compromise, but I've never shot one. I hardly use the 35/2, so maybe I can swap that for the 85/1.8.

I do really need to focus on lighting at some point. That's the next thing that will make my pictures better, even with what I have now.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #292 on: July 10, 2008, 08:08:12 PM »

:D shot my first concert.
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #293 on: July 11, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »
Looks like you're right up front. Lens/settings?  Who/what is that?  :o

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #294 on: July 11, 2008, 12:13:29 PM »
Looks like you're right up front. Lens/settings?  Who/what is that? :o

that would be mr. robert smith...
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #295 on: July 11, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »
anyone help with the shutter button motor " sound"  on the CANON 40D?  taking pictures of certain kids the sound of the shutter being depressed actually makes them jerk a bit.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #296 on: July 11, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »
anyone help with the shutter button motor " sound"  on the CANON 40D?  taking pictures of certain kids the sound of the shutter being depressed actually makes them jerk a bit.

Are you referring to "shutter slap?"  If so, nothing you can do.  That's a dslr for you.  Some are quieter though than others.  My 20d made a big ole "smack" sound when that mirror went up and down.  My 5d seems to be a bit quieter.  My ole xt was quieter.  The d300 I played with over the 4th was much quieter than any of the canon's I have played with, though, I haven't shot the 40d nor the xti or xsi.

If there is a "beep", there should be an option in the menu settings.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #297 on: July 11, 2008, 05:19:06 PM »

Are you referring to "shutter slap?"  If so, nothing you can do.  That's a dslr for you.  Some are quieter though than others.  My 20d made a big ole "smack" sound when that mirror went up and down.  My 5d seems to be a bit quieter.  My ole xt was quieter.  The d300 I played with over the 4th was much quieter than any of the canon's I have played with, though, I haven't shot the 40d nor the xti or xsi.

If there is a "beep", there should be an option in the menu settings.

yeah it is the shutter slap, the " beep" i can manage, but with the 24-70L some tight shots i try the shutter makes such a noise as to trigger a response from some of the kids.  The portraits are of kids with special needs and sometimes they tend to " jump" with the slightest of sound.

thank you for your reply

stirinthesauce

« Reply #298 on: July 11, 2008, 06:51:03 PM »
no problem. 

Somewhere, I forget exactly where, I saw a review of different model dslr's and the exact amount of db's that each camera's "shutter slap" exhibited.  Maybe you can do some research and find that out, and with that info, find a quieter model canon.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2008, 08:12:30 PM »
no problem. 

Somewhere, I forget exactly where, I saw a review of different model dslr's and the exact amount of db's that each camera's "shutter slap" exhibited.  Maybe you can do some research and find that out, and with that info, find a quieter model canon.

Yes, i am looking it up now.  It will be interesting if i can find such a category of shutter slap db's.

I would really hope I dont need to go up from the 40d at this moment.

during some shoots I might try to bring up some background music so that the shutter slap is not so " startling" or " appear" so loud due to being so quiet ambiently

I really appreciate  the advise

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com