Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 83505 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #330 on: July 25, 2008, 06:46:16 AM »
backatcha buddy.  Fireworks shots are fun

Here is the shot that I was discussing in the PM.  I'm going to approach a few of those home owners to see if they would be interested in purchasing a print.  A couple of those places are million dollar homes, so they would probably be interested in a $75-$100 large print to have matted & framed.

A really good matte + frame job for an 8x10 can easily run that much. I've spent $300 on those before. The results were as jaw-dropping as the images themselves.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #331 on: July 25, 2008, 09:20:23 AM »
backatcha buddy.  Fireworks shots are fun

Here is the shot that I was discussing in the PM.  I'm going to approach a few of those home owners to see if they would be interested in purchasing a print.  A couple of those places are million dollar homes, so they would probably be interested in a $75-$100 large print to have matted & framed.

A really good matte + frame job for an 8x10 can easily run that much. I've spent $300 on those before. The results were as jaw-dropping as the images themselves.

I plan on attempting to sell a few of the prints themselves.  There are too many unknown variables (i.e. wall colors, personal tastes in frame styles/finishes, etc.) for me to attempt to have them matted & framed prior to approaching potential buyers, and I'm not really interested in doing it at a mark-up after I have received their input.
AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #332 on: July 25, 2008, 09:33:13 AM »
What print companies does everyone use?

And what is the process is doing so?

do you if you wanted to is touch up the photo before bringing it to a print company?

Also in what format do you bring it to a print company?

the reason i as is that i have used my own printer but that is really not the most economical,

So i do not know the first thing to ordering my own prints?

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #333 on: July 25, 2008, 10:52:59 AM »

do you if you wanted to is touch up the photo before bringing it to a print company?

the reason i as is that i have used my own printer but that is really not the most economical,

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,101315.0.html

I just used MPix for some important wedding shots, and was very pleased.  I uploaded the files to their site late Tuesday evening and had the package on my door step yesterday evening (1 day fedex).  I also ordered a couple of 12"x18" prints that were pretty stunning.  Just for kicks, I have ordered a couple of the same 12"x18" prints from wal-marts online lab so I can compare the quality between the two. 

To answer your specific questions:  I uploaded the full size jpeg images to MPix's website and made the print size & quantity selections.  I did get the 'color correction' offered, but I didn't do any post editing (other than cropping).  If you do any post editing, just upload the finished product and don't select 'color correction' (color correction is only offered for certain size prints, BTW).  You can also crop photos using their software once you have them uploaded if you choose to do so.
AUDIO:

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #334 on: July 25, 2008, 11:31:35 AM »

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,101315.0.html

I just used MPix for some important wedding shots, and was very pleased.  I uploaded the files to their site late Tuesday evening and had the package on my door step yesterday evening (1 day fedex).  I also ordered a couple of 12"x18" prints that were pretty stunning.  Just for kicks, I have ordered a couple of the same 12"x18" prints from wal-marts online lab so I can compare the quality between the two. 

To answer your specific questions:  I uploaded the full size jpeg images to MPix's website and made the print size & quantity selections.  I did get the 'color correction' offered, but I didn't do any post editing (other than cropping).  If you do any post editing, just upload the finished product and don't select 'color correction' (color correction is only offered for certain size prints, BTW).  You can also crop photos using their software once you have them uploaded if you choose to do so.

I havent priced out printing services.. so I dont know if MPix is reasonable compared to others.. but for those who dont want to look into it.. here is MPix pricing..

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #335 on: July 25, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »

I havent priced out printing services.. so I dont know if MPix is reasonable compared to others.. but for those who dont want to look into it.. here is MPix pricing..

Just to add: 
3.5"x5, 4"x5" & 4"x6" prints can be purchased for .19/each if you don't want the color correction feature.
AUDIO:

VISUAL:

stirinthesauce

« Reply #336 on: July 25, 2008, 08:27:22 PM »
shane, 95% of what I sale is already framed and matted.  I take a simple approach and the feedback has always been positive.  Simple white matte, black wooden frame.  It bumps my return way up.  Keeps the hassle down for the buyer.  If they want a print without a frame, I will order for them.  It happens, but rarely. 

Secret ts scoop, dollar general has black frames with white matte (8x10) with glass for $6.  Wall Mart has white shadow matte (11x14) with 14 x 16 black frames for just under $20.  They look great and I have gotten fantastic compliments from the galleries and the customers.  Shhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone  :-X ;D

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #337 on: July 25, 2008, 09:41:32 PM »
Are they mostly B&W photos in those frames you sell?

stirinthesauce

« Reply #338 on: July 26, 2008, 04:18:49 AM »
Are they mostly B&W photos in those frames you sell?

nope.  about half color, half b&w

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »
Wow - haven't stopped by in forever and here's my thread  running off the board!  It's the little things in life... ;)

As an update to my own digicam situation:  LOVE LOVE LOVE my Rebel xt. Yes, I want to upgrade at some point (40d would be nice,  thankyousomuch) and I've been
gradually adding new glass so I now have:

XT
28-105 USM
50 1.8 (gotta love that little guy!)
70-200 EF (my old zoom, but still good if you've got plenty of light and/or a tripod)

and today thanks to Adorama's AWESOME shipping which turned up 3 days earlier than expected:

ef-s 55-250 IS.

No samples yet - once I get out there and shoot some decent stuff, I"ll post if anybody's interested, since this lens is fairly new  on the scene.  But folks,  I'm here to tell you that the positive reviews on that baby are the ones to believe - sharp, sharp, sharp and the IS seems to work nicely.  AF hunts a little if there isn't oodles of light (but it's a slowish lens, so to be expected) but it's lightweight, has a great reach and the test snaps I took were ridiculously good.   (And now y'all know why I'm selling my CMC8's.... gotta pay for this stuff somehow!).  If you've been considering  it, it's worth it IMO!

DPA4060
R09

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #340 on: August 05, 2008, 08:29:29 PM »
anyone use protection filters for their " L" series lenses?

and if so, please point me in the right direction> 

please advise

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #341 on: August 05, 2008, 08:33:47 PM »
I always keep a UV filter on my lenses. I like the B&W and Hoya brands.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #342 on: August 05, 2008, 09:29:01 PM »
Took a trip through the Safari at Great Adventure last weekend with my two nephews.. 

Kingda Ka roller coaster..   Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, NJ

the Canon 10-22mm EFS

the Canon 100mm F/2

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #343 on: August 05, 2008, 10:43:12 PM »
I always keep a UV filter on my lenses. I like the B&W and Hoya brands.

thank you

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #344 on: August 06, 2008, 09:09:23 PM »
anyone use protection filters for their " L" series lenses?

and if so, please point me in the right direction> 

please advise

You'll find plenty of debate on this elsewhere. Seems kind of split from what I've seen. I don't use filters on any my lenses. Why degrade performance with yet another layer of glass when you've already shelled out for an L-series lens?  I do like to keep the hoods on for protection whenever possible.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com